Neal Brown expects his offense to be much better this season

Neal Brown was a guest on Kentucky Sports Radio radio in his hometown of Danville this morning to catch us up to speed on the last free Monday before fall camp. Of course, the quarterback situation is the question weighing on fans’ minds, and though he couldn’t hint at a starter, he did say redshirting Drew Barker will be an option IF he isn’t in contention for that starting spot. (That’s a big IF, folks.) Brown did not say whether or not Barker is showing signs of a guy who can compete, but he answered Matt’s hypothetical of will they consider a redshirt IF Barker isn’t QB1. Yes, it’s an option.

Brown also told KSR to expect to see more of what his offenses did at Texas Tech and Troy. After an abysmal first season, Brown believes his team will be much improved on his side of the ball. He said last year’s receiving corps was the worst he’s ever had to work with in football as they began the year without a single player who had caught a touchdown pass at UK. Javess Blue and Ryan Timmons will lead that group, Brown believes.

When UK isn’t firing the pigskin in the Air Raid, the running game has the potential to shine. Brown called his running backs the deepest and strongest position on the team, and the backfield will have a better offensive line to run behind. The line lost one guy from last year, Kevin Mitchell, and the returners are bigger and stronger across the board. He’s also excited to add his redshirt freshmen to the mix.

We’ll have the entire interview on the site a little later today.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Neal Brown expects his offense to be much better this season

1. clancyhat
    12:17 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I CAN’T WAIT !!!!

2. Hal Mumme
    12:31 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I would sure as hell hope so. Can’t be any worse!

3. I*DONT*GIVE*A*DARN
    1:01 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

UK Football always known for having a losing football team. Always a loser – won’t be any different this year. Heck, even Vandy has passed them up, Western KY also. Morehead State could probably beat them to include The Three Sisters High School team.

4. WRB
    1:20 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

#3…Why post a comment if you don’t give a darn.

I can tell you one thing. I “don’t give a damn” about your favorite team because you will never ever catch me on the Tard Chronicle.

5. UKfan
    1:36 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I can see why Coach Brown would say this team will be much improved. Our running backs will be the best in recent memory (probably since Artose Pinner and Mo Williams) and deeper than I can ever rememeber. I think Patrick Towles will surprise alot of people. Our receiving and tight ends should be solid and our front line is SEC caliber. As long as everyone stays healthy, I think our offense output will improve drastically. We averaged around 20 points per game last year. I say that number this year will be closer to 35. Go Big Blue.

• scorpiocard
      2:53 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

And we all know you are the end all expert at evaluating football talent. You know more than the Minnesota Vikings about talent! Maybe you should call the Vikings and tell them you were not impressed with Teddy Bridgewater so they can cut him and save themselves some money.

• UKfan
      4:09 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Is that the same coach who has more games in NFL history who holds an overall losing record? Coached the Redskins – flopped. Coached the Raiders – flopped. Coached the Chargers – flopped. Yeah, ok I take his word on your boy Teddy. Let’s wait to see how well Teddy does in the NFL. I still stand firm that he will be mediocre at best. How tough was his competion when he played at the Ville? (That’s rhetorical). If he does flop, I am sure you will backpedal as usual.

• UKfan
      4:29 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Minnesota Power rankings – 29th
      Most analysis agree that Matt Cassell (Minnesota) was the worse QB last year with a QB rating in the low 80’s. If Teddy even is a mediocre QB, then Minnesota should win more than 5 games because they have a good ground game and their defense is good.

• scorpiocard
      4:51 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

The idiocy of uk fans never ceases to amaze me, even though I have witnessed it my entire life, including the time I lived in Lexington and attended uk. It was never the students so much as the idiots who have never even seen the inside of a college classroom. I would bet that is the description for you.

Norv Turner (who is the OC, not the head coach) has two back to back Super Bowl championship rings as an OC Einstein. He is an OC now (in the NFL) and I would imagine he knows a little more than you do. For you to even remotely insinuate that you know more than a two time Super Bowl winning NFL offensive coordinator seals the deal on what a complete moron you really are.

Sometimes great coordinators do not translate to great, or even good, head coaches. You may be about to find that out with Stoops. Look at how Petrino punked him last season with WKU’s talent. Now that was a pathetic showing. Would you say WKU had more talent than uk?

Regardless, if you are such an idiot that you are going to make claims that you know more about QBs than a two time Super Bowl winning OC from the NFL I think I will refrain from anymore useless dialog with you.

• scorpiocard
      4:53 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Well at least your last comment has some element of sanity to it.

• UKfan
      5:13 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Troll this is an article on UK offense, not some overrated QB who never played anyone in college. Try to stay on topic. I should know better than feed the trolls. But I enjoy it so much that I will play along. Turner peaked 20 years ago when he was OC for the Cowboys. Since then, he probably should have retired. Here is what Turner had to say about his current group of QB’s.
      ” Our three QBs are as good a group as I could ask for”

Matt Cassell – 80.5 Career QB rating
      Christian Ponder – 77.3 Career QB rating
      Teddy Bridgewater – unproven NFL QB

So now you believe what Norv has to say about QB’s?

• scorpiocard
      9:49 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

At least you admit playing uk is not playing anybody. This season Gardener will get to play some “somebodies”. uk won’t be one of them. Trust me, not Norv, on that one.

6. 2mites
    2:03 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Goodness yes the offense will be better. No whitlow to screw things up. Fewer and fewer of Jiker Pillips players to contend with. Real quarterbacks for a change who actually played QB in high school. The first 2 games will tell where this offense is and how they may fair going into the SEC.

7. Fed up with UK football
    2:09 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Brown is an excuse maker. He put Whitlow at QB, that was his choice. Dismal 2-10 season but he stays with Whitlow and talks about how no other QB is available. Then he decides Whitlow is not QB caliber, so he asks him to move to wide receiver and Whitlow righfully so tells him to pound sand and leaves the program. I seem to remember his 1st recruit a wide receiver making a crucial fumble late in the game against WKU. I seem to remember dropped pass after dropped passes, blow outs the last two games against Georgia and Tennessee, more like beatings, and he is right his receivers were horrible. But they are coming back again this year, pathetic that a coach criticizes his receiving core who are his recruits. Bottom line is the coaching staff threw in the towel before last season even began. Barker will start at QB. Brown loves him.

• Andy
      2:34 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Yes he buried Towles with the scout team last season. Maybe last year was the worst coaching staff we’ve had since being at UK.

• Reality
      2:36 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Yes, totally, because we had a badly injured Max Smith, a not-quite 100% Patrick Towles, and an unknown quantity in Reese Phillips. There were tons of better options at QB last year.

Don’t forget that last year we were still playing Joker’s guys a lot more than they will this year because we were red-shirting most of Stoops’ first class so they could bulk up and get ready for the college game.

• 49er
      3:30 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Reality, maybe you should watch re-runs of the Georgia and Tennessee game of last year. Watch the beat down at Georgia and the licking by Tennessee. See who is on the field before you make ridiculous comments.

• Reality
      3:48 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

49er doesn’t understand sarcasm, so I’ll break it down again into smaller words for him:

Towles – not quite 100% all of last year after hurting his shoulder in 2012 campaign, Stoops and Brown are trying to keep his red shirt so he comes back stronger in 2014
      Phillips – unknown quantity in game situations, Stoops and Brown trying to keep his red shirt as a viable backup for Towles/Barker
      Smith – broken ankle, pretty much made of porcelain anyway
      Whitlow – terrible, T-Rex armed QB but still the best option given the long term strategy of keeping the red shirts on Towles and Phillips

Stoops knew last season was toast anyway, there were no weapons in the offensive arsenal as Brown acknowledged today. He played the long game of preserving a year of eligibility for 2 viable QBs when we would have a better receiving corps. Unfortunately, that left Whitlow looking up at the underside of the bus.

• DCS195
      3:48 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I know 49er that had you been the coach last year with all those less than SEC quality holdovers and freshmen that you would have beaten both Georgia and Tennessee. The only question that I have is how you would have found time to coach the offense and the defense, as well as be the head coach, but I know you could do it.

• UKfan
      4:52 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Reality gets it. Thanks for educating the less informed.

• James Frankins
      9:24 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

He played one QB the entire season with almost a broken leg and the 2nd quarterback with almost a broken arm. That’s reality. Fans paid to watch this.

8. jcatron
    2:11 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Towles = QB1
    Barker Redshirts

Running Backs will be good but will have to use the whole stable I do not see one stepping up above the others and being an every down back…keep them fresh healthy. I am really excited to see Kemp…I think he will be a huge receiving and running threat. Clemons and Heard should be solid. I am also really excited about the scheming potential with Boom Williams but I think they redshirt him unless someone gets hurt.

WRs will be better but not great. Too young right now but tons of potential here for future years. Timmons will be good this year great in future years. Reminds me of a Randall Cobb. Solid core with Blue, Robinson, Badet, Montgomery, and probably Snodgrass. I’d say Blake Bone will redshirt but I think this guy will be huge in a few seasons…great size.

O-Line should be much improved but will still get beat up some by the SEC D-Lines.

Tight Ends I am still worried about. I would love to get some production here but I just dont see it being a huge part of the offense.

I do expect they will be more creative with plays this year. At times they had some nice sneaky/fancy plays called and either they got whistled back or just could not execute b/c of lack of talent. Should be a lot more fun on the offensive side of the ball this year…just hope the linebackers and secondary can keep the other team out of the end zone enough to matter.

9. Randy
    2:29 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Wow, drive the bus over your offense coach. Classy!

10. Ch bills
    4:04 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Towles starting

• UKfan
      5:22 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Towles won the starting job in the spring, but Coach Stoops and Coach Brown needed to keep all the QB’s working hard for the position and continue to improve. Towles should have a nice year this year, Phillips will be your backup, and Barker will redshirt. I look for Maxwell Smith to be a GA in the not so distant future.

11. Tom
    8:11 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

How much does playing with the previous staff’s recruits matter?
    Stoops came in and used Mickey Andrews recruits at Florida State for three years. Andrews was one of the best in the game.
    Brown came in and coached Mike Leach’s recruits for three years. One of the developers of the Air Raid.
    Those are facts no need to argue Not trying to start one.
    SO – is it coaching or benefitting from what’s there?
    Now we can beat Joker to death. Terrible at everything. So we’re led to believe.
    With all the success Stoops and Brown had at their previous stops shouldn’t their expertise show this year? Two of seasons, two spring practice and last season should give them at least time for ‘drastic improvement’ shouldn’t it?

• Sell Your Tickets Please
      8:20 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

It is a well established fact you are a happily unhappy member of the Fellowship of the Miserable. We get it. Please let your tickets go and move on. Don’t you get tired of being a gigantic, annoying wet blanket no one wants to be around? Yes, Mark Stoops turned the 108th defense in the country into the 2nd ranked defense because of someone else’s recruiting and Brown had success at Texas Tech because of Mike Leach’s stellar recruiting. If Leach is known for anything it’s top notch recruiting classes. It’s obvious you aren’t trying to start an argument because you don’t care about the facts. You are just intent on being unhappy. Good grief.

12. Tom
    10:45 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Sorry, I didn’t know the pep rally had started.
    Leach is known for developing winning football teams.
    Brown is known for, so far, taking Leach’s recruits and making a name for himself.
    Sorry if that is raining on your parade but, so far, we haven’t seen development in either quarterbacks, receivers, or an offense.
    Yah, yah, and don’t forget you pompoms.