Nation’s best defensive player says Kentucky’s offensive line the best he faced

One of the silver linings to Kentucky’s 34-6 loss to Alabama back on October 1 was the Crimson Tide’s star defensive lineman Jonathan Allen’s praise for the Cats’ physical play. Allen, who was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year earlier this week, gave Kentucky a reason to hold its head high moving forward.

“That’s probably one of the most physical games I’ve played since I was in college. I have to give Kentucky a lot of credit,” Allen said.

Allen is considered the best defensive player in college football and will likely go in the top three in the 2017 NFL Draft. While in Atlanta for the College Football Awards yesterday, Allen doubled down on his praise for Kentucky, calling the Cats’ offensive line the best he faced all season.

“I got to give it to the whole Kentucky front,” Allen said, via SEC Country. “When I say that was probably the most physical game that I’ve played in this year, I have to give it them. They came with it that game. It kind of caught us by surprise. That was a real physical game.”

In fact, Allen said playing Kentucky was a “wake up call” to the defending national champs’ defensive line.

“Just the determination and the want to. They meant business when they came,” Allen said. “I feel like we kind of overlooked them a little bit at first. It was a wake-up call upfront that said ‘hey, you got to bring it. These guys are playing. It’s SEC ball now.’”

Remember: Kentucky only loses one starter on the offensive line this year in Jon Toth. The future is bright, indeed.

[SEC Country]

12 Comments for Nation’s best defensive player says Kentucky’s offensive line the best he faced

1. UKfansNKY
    11:24 am December 8, 2016 Permalink

Nice compliment the future getting brighter for KY FOOTBALL!! GO CATS!!!

2. jwill003
    11:34 am December 8, 2016 Permalink

Our offense indeed looks bright. They had a great season rushing the football and played smashmouth when needed. I feel like Johnson wasn’t asked to do a lot and throw much but showed that he can deliver when needed and make good decisions. If he learns to be more aware in the pocket and protects the ball from fumbles and works on his passing in the off season then I don’t see him losing the starting position. He has earned it.

3. ukjaybrat
    12:30 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

i thought it was just a nice comment at the time, but to double down after the season is over is pretty impressive. in a vacuum, it could be taken as a slap to the rest of the teams “even Kentucky is better than you guys”
    but to double down on it lends me to think he actually meant it. props to our big guys. hope Johnson appreciates them

4. wdmalone
    12:44 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Wasn’t this comment made right after we’d played them earlier in the year? If so, it is a nice compliment. If it was made at the conclusion of the year and compared with everyone they’ve played, then that indeed is really substantive. My recollection was that his compliment was made right after they played us and not at the conclusion of the year.

• CatsfaninFL
      12:55 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Reading that difficult for you? He made the initial comments after the game. He then made the comments about best OL he faced Wednesday at the SEC Awards ceremony…after the season. As in Wednesday two days ago. You’d know if you read it. Or clicked on the link. Probably anything besides skip to the comment section.

5. RealCatsFan
    12:58 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Future looks bright indeed, but Toth’s shoes will be some big ones to fill.

• J-Dub421
      1:47 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully Drake Jackson was Toth’s shadow this season while redshirting.

6. UK Big Board Update
    1:31 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Luether, u mad?

7. tbbucs86
    3:03 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

I do not see anywhere we he said it the best offensive line he faced. He just said most physical.

8. buzzard
    4:01 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

As a Kentucky football fan, I can’t realistically expect us to beat Bama at their house. But it’s damn nice to get some respect. And that’s all I ask for. I’m sick and tired of everyone laughing at UK football. The future looks bright indeed. Good job O line!! GO BIG BLUE!!

9. dshwildcats
    4:59 pm December 8, 2016 Permalink

Our OL was definitely a major strength this season; and should be next season as well. Losing Toth will be big, but I think we should still be fine. If Boom and Benny both stay healthy, I can definitely see both of them rushing for over 1,000 yards again next season.

Hey, whatever happened to that scorp fella that used to come on here and talk trash about Kentucky Football and its fan base?? I guess he’s still hiding out over on Card Chronicle! Lol!! Too bad his Cards couldn’t back up all of his big talk!