My Greatest Fear as a Kentucky Football Fan

My worst nightmare is Bobby Petrino.  I fear that Petrino will dominate Kentucky football like John Calipari has dominated Louisville basketball.

Unfortunately, I believe Bobby is going to be Kentucky’s white whale.  We got him once at Arkansas, but that’s it.  In his first stint at UofL, he won four Governor’s Cup.  At WKU, he handed Mark Stoops his first loss as a head coach.  When he returned to UofL…..this is the part I can’t get over.

The scariest thing Bobby Petrino does is make quarterbacks really, really, really, really good.  In his first two years at UofL he has played four quarterbacks against the Cats. FOUR.  The backups came in when Kentucky was up more than two scores.  Last year the Cats revealed that Lamar Jackson is Petrino’s next great quarterback.

If Kentucky held onto that 21-0 lead at home, maybe Jackson wouldn’t have been given the keys to the offense right away.  Maybe Kentucky would have gained unprecedented momentum heading into 2016.  Instead, the window to beat Bobby and retake the Governor’s Cup closed.

Even if they didn’t have a great defense this year, which they do, Lamar Jackson could beat Kentucky by himself.  Kentucky can’t beat Louisville with Jackson at quarterback.  Especially after having an entire offseason to learn from Bobby Slapdick.  To make matters worse, this year’s game is at Papa John’s.

Once Jackson’s tenure is over, (hypothetically he leaves after his junior season), the Cats will have lost seven straight to UofL.  SEVEN.  After that is an unknown I don’t even want to imagine.

My unpopular opinion is a fear that I can’t contain any longer.  Even though I’m glad the Cats didn’t take Petrino in when Joker Phillips was relieved of his duties, I’m not looking forward to the Governor’s Cup for the foreseeable future.

For more unpopular opinions, listen to today’s show

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

28 Comments for My Greatest Fear as a Kentucky Football Fan

1. Souf beach Lou
    7:54 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

“Will”? More like already has

2. kagoat66
    8:19 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

Dude you need to grow a pair. First he won’t win 7 in a row and we will beat Jackson and it will happen this year. Geez. If you don’t have faith in Stoops then maybe you should cheer for Petrino. You obviously are in love with him as a coach.

• Patches
      8:30 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

UK has blown big leads against UL the last 2 years. Cats have shown no ability to stop a running quarterback and this guy can wing it too. Stoops has underperformed his last two years and remember this team struggled to beat ULL, SC, and EKU. That is hardly a killers row and Stoops was that close to a 2 win season. I know we had an OC who was way out of his element and Eddie Gran will do much better but it is defense that has been the downfall of this UK team.

• Florida580
      1:27 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

Patches, you aren’t allowed to bring stuff like this up. It can’t be mentioned that the defense has been really bad because that makes it seem like this is Stoops’ fault and not anyone else. Please consider pointing the finger at the OC, the o-line, the facilities, the SEC, basketball….anything but Coach Stoops!

• Billy Hill
      9:35 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

UL fans are heavily concerned with us, especially this new asshat, Florida580

• Blueblueblueblue
      7:10 am July 29, 2016 Permalink

How come Billy Hill can say curse words but not be banned?

3. bigtaters6957
    8:32 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

First off, I don’t think they beat us this year or next. Second, your asking an awful lot of Petrino to stay at louisville for that extended period of time. If they are winning other programs will come calling. If he stays hes a sleaze so he will have some sort of scandal come up forcing him out.

• Florida580
      1:15 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

That is wishful thinking. Petrino will be at UofL until he retires. The scandal and his age will disuade any SEC or big time programs from coming after him. Highly unlikely that he does something as stupid as his Arkansas escapades again, and he’s never had serious recruiting violation issues. Looks like UK will be searching for win number 6 for years to come.

4. UK Big Board Update
    8:50 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

We worried about the same shit when Pitino signed on. We see how thats turned out. Give it some time – we’ll be fine.

• 3Goggles
      10:39 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Except Pitino never has proven he can beat us. Petrino has beaten us like a drum consistently. I hope we get over the Petrino hump but im not very confident in that.

• Florida580
      1:12 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

3Goggles, your logic is not allowed. Please consider not posting until you get that under control.

5. ronnie78
    10:22 pm July 27, 2016 Permalink

When Gillespie ran the basketball program off a cliff, UK went after a proven winner who wasn’t squeaky clean. It’s too bad football doesn’t get the same consideration. SEC football isn’t for nice guys to learn how to be a head coach.

• Luether
      2:22 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Valid points…

• UK Big Board Update
      10:27 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Who said Stoops is a nice guy, and what proven winners are knocking down our doors to coach here….?

• Florida580
      1:34 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

You could fire Stoops and hire Art Briles at the end of the year. Would you be ok with that?

6. Blueblueblueblue
    7:09 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

The thing we UofL fans love about Bobby is that he hates UK. It is really nice to have a coach that displays borderline contempt for the boys in blue.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:58 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Must be why he tried to get a job here…..

• UK Big Board Update
      10:30 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

The thing we UK fans love about Bobby is he has bolted from several programs – including UL – in a very asshole way, had a nasty scandal with pictures to boot, and UL took his slimy ass back and they love him to death.

• Florida580
      1:17 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

UK BigBoard Update, are you planning to celebrate your 1951 national championship win?

7. Rise
    8:56 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Some of you are delusional. The game is about winning. Give me Petrino over Stoops any day. The guy is a proven winner and owns UK. Stoops can’t even get the locker room under control.

8. Howdy Doody
    11:12 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

I HATE to admit it, BUT Petrino will own UK like Cal owns Pitino.
    Just the FACTS , Jack, it WILL be ugly this and next year and the year after.
    The guy can flat out Coach football.
    Until and IF we replace Stoops with a proven coach who can win in the SEC we will be singing the blues for Christmas.

• Billy Hill
      11:14 am July 28, 2016 Permalink

Eat a dick, troll.

• Florida580
      1:16 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

Why does Billy Hill get to say things like this?

9. jimmyjohnwa11
    12:29 pm July 28, 2016 Permalink

What do you mean we got him once when he was at Arkansas? If you did 10 seconds of research before posting you would know he wasn’t the coach at Arkansas when we beat them in ’07.

10. UK Big Board Update
    2:27 pm July 29, 2016 Permalink

Sometimes when I think about Coach Petrino I wee my pants just a bit, and then later that night, I wake up covered in sweat and slowly realize that I’m not and never will be Lamar Jackson. Then I cry a bit and think about Coach Cal. He tells me it’s ok, and I dry my bitter, bitter tears.

11. dshwildcats
    9:23 am July 30, 2016 Permalink

Coach Stoops told me that he fears the exact same thing.