Mitch Barnhart: “To say that there is frustration would be the understatement”

After back-to-back 5-7 seasons, there’s no denying the frustration in the fan base when it comes to football. Since Saturday’s epic collapse, football talk has dominated the Big Blue Nation, with many loyal fans calling the loss to Louisville the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Today, Mitch Barnhart did interviews with both The Courier Journal and the Herald-Leader to discuss the state of the program. Barnhart admits to frustration about how the season ended, but also reaffirms his support for Mark Stoops. You should definitely click over and read Barnhart’s comments in full, but to whet your appetite, here are just a few quotes:

— “­I think in some degrees it was — the record is the same, but I think it looks a little bit different. Frustration nevertheless. We’re frustrated about being 5-7 and not being in postseason play like we want to be,” Barnhart said. “So, to say that there is frustration would be the understatement. Certainly understand that from our fans perspective. They’re frustrated. I don’t think that totally reflects where we are in terms of the status of the program.”

— Barnhart said he won’t tell Stoops what to do regarding staffing changes, but did say he’ll meet with him after the staff returns from recruiting to offer help and perspective.

“Certainly it’s my role to walk in and ask good questions, to make sure that they’re thinking about things. In terms of Mark’s world, that’s his job. He gets paid to do that, and I’ll respect that. I’ve never been an AD that walks in and says, ‘Do this, this, this and this, or out.’ I just haven’t done that.”

— On whether or not he senses support from the players for Stoops:

“I do. I really do. I think that our players desperately want to win and to experience some of the stuff that’s going on in postseason play. They want that. I think that they realize they were pretty close on a lot of fronts.”

— On coaching criticism:

“So, yeah, you see some of that passion and some of the good – and then all the sudden you see some mistakes and everybody goes, ‘They can’t coach anymore.’ Well, hold on. That group just beat the team that was two-time defending SEC East champions. I go back to my deal of 12 to 18 plays usually can define a season for a football program in one way, shape or form, good or bad.”

For more, head on over to The Courier-Journal.

83 Comments for Mitch Barnhart: “To say that there is frustration would be the understatement”

1. Sentient Third Eye
    2:06 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Barnhart is right that the difference between success and failure is just a handful of snaps each season. If Dorian Baker held onto to just three particular passes inside the end zone, we would be 7-5. We’d still be the same team with the same issues, but the whole perception would be very different.

All because of holding onto three footballs.

• cats paw
      3:18 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I’d like to tell Barnfart the real difference between Failure and success is “Billy G vs Cal” !!! not a couple plays that Billy’s team didn’t make during his tenure.

• kyjohn
      3:29 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

If a frog had wings he wouldn’t be bumping his rear end on rocks.That old If’n game does not correct the record or change anything.

• cats paw
      3:57 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

And you can look back on at least one play a game where even the broadcasters expressed a “wtf” to some boneheaded play call made by Stoops (like letting 10 seconds run off the clock and calling time out for a field goal) which would have possibly won the games you state were lost due to someone dropping a ball.

• BluKudzu
      4:18 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

After reading the article from the CJ post, I am sure next year is going to be a larger challenge for this AD, coaching staff, and the program. Mitch has begun to bury the disappointment that was 2015, and I respect him backing Stoops. However, year four is coming, and should the same level of organization, play, and decision skills are present during 2016, he will be required to put together a documented just cause for the potential replacement of Stoops.
      He was careful not to say where he actually is at this point, keeping the strategy in his “conversation” with Mark Stoops, close to the vest.
      I think there will be some major changes coming in the next few weeks. I think they will be required because of the risk of many empty seats at CWS in 2016 if he doesn’t. If that happens, then Mitch’s job gets a look, and if that happens, it will likely be the end for the present coaching staff.
      UK has very good resources to attract top level coaching talent. No need to spend this kind of money and see his ( Mitch’s) winning percentage as AD for football to get worse. Currently at 41%, take out Morris’s last year, and the percentage drops further.
      I don’t think anyone will agree 41% is an acceptable number for the major money maker.
      One more thing, his comment about UGA having 20K empty seats, in a stadium that seats about 80-90K, they still had more fans than what CWS holds. Empty seats on 61000 like we had, obviously got his attention. He needs them.

• Long Dong Silver
      5:58 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Blukudzu, you are one of the best commenters this site has. Please keep it up. Many tried to run you off, but hang in there. People like UkBigBoardUpdate and Ktower are the ones who need to go. They lack cogient thinking. They are detritus.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:33 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I’m actually kind of glad I lack “cogient thinking”, whatever the hell that is… LMAO

2. bartolocolon
    2:10 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Of course he said this. The insane contract extension he game MS mid 2014 will hogtie us for another two years. No way we’re paying 8 figures to make a fb coach go away. I know he signed Cal (on his second try, after a disaster), but he has really struggled to find a fb coach.

• Mathlete
      2:52 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

There’s no buyout or penalty for the contract ending early for either party, Barnhart doesn’t do those in any major coaching contracts.

• bartolocolon
      3:00 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yeah there is. We owe him $15 mil if we fire him this year. He owes us nothing if he leaves. http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/10/31/details-kentucky-football-coach-mark-stoops-new-contract/18251435/

• Mathlete
      3:03 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Wow, that’s a lousy deal for UK. Credit Stoops’ agent for that one.

• cats paw
      3:21 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

No.. Credit Barnfart and the homer fans for it!! I mean who couldn’t have seen that he deserved another million dollar raise and contract extension after losing 5 games in a row last year?

• RealCatsFan
      4:03 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

cp, I’m not happy about the raise and contract extension either, but I think they did that last year after UK had beaten USC and were sitting at 5 wins. Too bad he didn’t wait a few games to see what was really going on. In my mind the administration should have the ability to dock a coach’s pay for poor performance, just like corporations should be able to withhold pay from an incompetent CEO.

3. Catsby80
    2:37 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I’m not ready to mail it in on Stoops yet… Now, after year 4 if we are not seeing progress, then we should consider reevaluating.. But if we were to fire a head coach who came in here with guys who literally could not play for Centre College after only 3 years, then who the hell would want this job? There is still a lot of youth on this team and I am hopeful that we can turn the page next year… I’ll be there to support the ‘cats, but we have got to start seeing some improvement on the field. No question the talent has increased at UK, but now we need to see the development and results on the field.

• leon singleton
      2:50 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Cal rebuilds every year and wins with a Junior college team.

• Mathlete
      2:57 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Nick Saban couldn’t have won more than 4 games with the players we had when Joker left. College hoops is different because depth isn’t as much of a factor as it is in football. You can go to a Final Four on the back of one elite player getting hot at exactly the right time (ex: Davidson/Steph Curry), but you need everyone to be up to the task in football or opposing teams will take full advantage of that weakness (ex: Option QBs vs UK’s DEs).

• Catsby80
      3:16 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I’m not even going to entertain Leon.. People who compare football to basketball are COMPLETELY clueless…

4. Long Dong Silver
    2:46 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Of course you don’t get rid of Stoops yet. As much as we may want to. Mitch does need to impress upon Stoops that this shit can’t happen again. Whatever he needs to do to get it straightened out, he’d better do it. Stoops, fix this mess.

• KTower
      2:51 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Dong

You are an embarrassment to the BBN, please go away and do not post such filthy trash again. Using 4 letter words shows that you are uneducated, immature and low income.

• Long Dong Silver
      2:53 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Ktower, why don’t you make me go away? I’ll comment as much as I like.

• KTower
      3:11 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

You will need to decide If you have self control and are intelligent enough to monitor your language.

My hunch is you are a low income / low class public school graduate who was never taught manners or etiquette.

Sooner or later your foul mouth will catch up to you.

• cats paw
      3:13 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

KTower- your football coach is an embarrassment to the BBN.

• Long Dong Silver
      3:23 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Ktower, you are so funny. “You’ll have to monitor your language”. Tee hee. Kiss my ass.

• bluesyCat
      12:10 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

Hey Ktower, my public school with plenty of ‘low income’ students produced more governor’s scholars and Ivy League scholarships than your private school. Oh and if you are referring to public universities…well then you are denigrating the very school you allegedly cheer for. Keep it classy and stick to sports

• BigBlue2U
      9:45 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

Go away, KTower. Sanctimonious and sleazy.

5. KTower
    2:47 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Barnhart calls it like he sees it……The record 5-7 is not as much of an issue as the complete breakdowns against Tennessee and Louisville……The loss against Vanderbilt was unacceptable.

No doubt in my mind it is because Kentucky is a very young team and the injuries to key players really hurt.

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:50 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Losing Melvin Lewis was catastrophic for our defense. His real value on the field was comparable to Tyler Ulis’ value on the court. We saw last night how our bball team struggled to run offense without Tyler. Well our football defense struggled the same way without Melvin, and they never did get it completely figured out, unfortunately.

• Long Dong Silver
      2:54 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Ktower is a stupid shit. So, we should probably ignore what he says. He’s a true imbecile.

• cats paw
      3:10 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

You homers kill me. We have 17 Seniors on this team and the 3 best recruiting classes we have had in history here (lol). We are not YOUNG and if Stoops decides to play freshmen it’s because he either choses to or can’t develop the other talent that’s already here

• UKnowMe
      3:20 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yes there we 17 Seniors but there was maybe 5 that played meaningful minutes. Why didn’t more play? Maybe Stoops can’t develop or maybe Joker’s last class was terrible. I am going to lean more on the latter.

• cats paw
      3:47 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

UKnowme- why would you ignore the 20 Juniors that Stoops brought in, in your assessment? Could it be that they suck just as bad as Jokers classes or could it be both coaches just suck? I’m going to lean with the latter.

• Long Dong Silver
      4:39 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

While I dislike Catspaw, they have a point. I do believe our great recruiting has been smoke and mirrors. Football recruiting analysts cannot truly be trusted. We fell for recruiting rankings.

• UKnowMe
      6:27 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Cats – I left them out because you were the one talking about seniors. I only see 15 juniors listed on 247sports. Of those I see at least 7 that contributed significant minutes but I will play along. If you remember correctly this was jokers class too as Stoops only had two months to keep a class together although in the end he did add a couple.

• cats paw
      3:09 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

I don’t remember the discussion being about who played how many minutes or who brought in what players? I thought we were discussing about UK being a young team? Besides, You just stated that over half the starting team were upper classmen.

6. UK Fan In Nashville
    3:05 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

If Barnhart had any balls he would throw $8 million a year at Mark Richt and see what happens.

• ClutchCargo
      3:58 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Any AD who would pay Richt $8 million has way more balls than brains. He is a nice guy, but not that great a coach.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      5:35 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Totally disagree ClutchCargo. For Kentucky to get a coach of that caliber we would have to pay way above market value. 1.) He may want to just retire. 2.) He will have a ton of suitors, many of which will have more prestigious programs.

Also, you saw what a coach like him means to a program when Fulmer left UT. They were perennial favorites to finish top 3 in the East and won 10 games numerous times under Fat Phil. Now they are grasping at straws to win 8 games 7 years later. And that’s a 5-star prestige program as much as I hate to admit it. UGA will have the same problem if they don’t hire someone out of this world. Under Richt UGA has averaged almost 10 wins a year(9.66). When was the last time UK even approached that? We have to stop hiring coordinators who have never been head coaches. Two in a row have failed. Brooks was a proven coach but had a losing record prior to and after UK. He took us to 4 straight bowl games. Think what a proven WINNER like Richt could be for our program. It’ll almost never ever happen. I know this; I’m not delusional. But as they say in sales, “You’ll never know until you ask!”

7. Mike Mayhem
    3:11 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

The people that believe a Mark Richt or Les Miles is gonna walk through the door to be UK’s next coach really amaze me.

• cats42301
      3:21 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

It would be nice if Barnhart could finish once sentence before starting another one! Dong did you really just say “why don’t you make me go away!” ? Good lord, grow up how old are you 3? Some people on here act so childish. Quit the personal attacks on each other, you’re just making yourselves look ridiculous. Gosh some of you people are such whiney toddlers! It will be the downfall of this website one day when mature people get tired of people’s smart comments and go somewhere else.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:00 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I do believe I was the atackee, not the attacker. Eat my ass.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:02 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Also, by all means, please go elsewhere. You shan’t be missed.

8. Jaxson
    3:11 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

The comment about a Missouri team that went 1-7 in the SEC is strange. “That group just beat the team that was two-time defending SEC East champions.” That’s an odd criteria for games played this year. That’s like saying “Robert Morris beat defending NCAA champ UK in the NIT in 2012-13.” Totally different teams……

• JaminTheCoach
      3:33 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

It is an unfair advantage to have hindsight on your side. Who’s to say that we actually did beat, at the time, another contender for a 3rd SEC east title, but because of all the outside drama that their team had to deal with this year, fell hard? The point is, we can’t say, because we don’t know.

• ClutchCargo
      4:01 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

^ But Barnhart did say it after the fact. So yeah, he did know.

9. cats42301
    3:19 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

• Long Dong Silver
      6:40 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

You know, you are a hypocrite. You have personally attacked me. Nothing worse than a hypocrite.

10. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:21 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Can we chill out about our coach yet? Pre-season predictions pretty much all had us at 5-7 or 6-6, so why is this such a disappointment/surprise to everyone? Yeah, we started out 4-1, but we also started out 5-0 last year. We’re in the toughest conference in the nation and were 3 plays away from going 8-4. Unless Les Miles is walking through that door, we need to give ole Stoops a couple more years to see how it works out. Football isn’t basketball, you can’t flip your entire team from zeroes to heroes in a year or two.

• cats42301
      3:32 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

The glass is half full effect. It is also true that if a few plays go differently, namely the first game, EKU, missouri we could have easily been 2-10. (Glass half empty). People like you are always saying wait a couple of more years people are tired of rhetoric they want results! And please quit using that basketball analogy it has run its course

• RealCatsFan
      3:37 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

We were also one miraculous TD catch away from losing to EKU and being 4-8.

• cats42301
      3:40 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

You just don’t get it. It’s not about wins and losses it’s about a team regressing since the start of the season. It’s about a team quitting on coaches and fans. It’s about that we in reality no better off now as a program than we were in 2013. It’s about players not developing and making the same mistakes they were making 2-3 years ago. It’s about the ineptness of the coaches who couldn’t get the right players on the field for a punt or relay a message to the sideline that Vandy was hiding a receiver near the sidelines. That’s what its about not the record. Do you understand now?

• RealCatsFan
      3:41 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

And I think a lot of fans would even be OK with 5-7 if our team had shown progress and at least been competitive in some of those losses. But instead, this program seemed to be going backwards, and there is a lot of talk about bad body language by players, rifts on the team, etc. If we were making progress, do you think we would have players (including our starting QB) transferring?

There is still time for Stoops to get a handle on the situation and right the ship, but he is not going to do that by simply leaving things the way they have been. He needs to shake up some of the staff and get some experienced coaches in place.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      5:42 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I wouldn’t mind 5-7 if we had beaten anyone with a winning record that wasn’t an FCS team. 4 wins against FBS teams with a combined record of 14-33. If we had won against Vandy and Auburn, we’d be a 7 win team against 6 FBS teams with losing records and an FCS team. We’d throw a parade for that crap. This team took a step back this year.

• KTower
      6:11 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Lets look at the statistics of Kentucky Football…….

Kentucky’s all time record 587—599—44 (.495)

Kentucky’s all time record in the SEC is 171-399-20 (.307)

Bear Bryant (who left due to his frustration with the UK Brass) and Blanton Collier (who was FIRED) are the only two coaches at Kentucky with a winning record. What does that say about the University of Kentucky’s commitment to Football?

11. kyjohn
    3:25 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Does anyone have an idea what the “firing for just cause” is in Stoops contract ? Seems like performance,failure of program growth,player development would be reasons.Or,is” just cause” all about moral issues by the head coach or his staff.
    Whatever it is,seems like Mitch gave Stoops a lifetime of wealth to be as unproductive as a human being can be in coaching (?) a college football team,and that is really frustrating.

12. glasgowbooster
    3:36 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I am sure Stoops is a nice guy, but he is way over his head and needs to go. Another year is going to do nothing.

13. cats42301
    4:02 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I will bet that there are some people out there somewhere who still believe we should have given Bill Curry a few more years. Heck I’ll go one step further and say if some people had their way he’d probably still be the head coach at UK! I hate Louisville but you see what Petrino did Saturday after falling behind 21-0 he benched Bolin for Lamar Jackson. He wasn’t afraid of hurting Bolin’s feelings he made the decision to switch QB’s to try and win the game. Had Stoops been coach of UL he probably would have stuck with Bolin, let him throw a few more interceptions and get down about 42-0 and then put Jackson in with maybe 5 min to go in the game. Then explain at the press conference after the game he thought about putting Jackson in earlier but didn’t then later state for the twentieth time that he needs to do a better job of coaching. Just an analogy and again I hate Petrino but the choices he made compared to the ones Stoops didn’t make are the difference between an experienced head coach and a 3rd year coach who still coaches like a rookie

• RealCatsFan
      4:09 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

First, I am going to say that Bill Curry is 1000 times the human being that Bobby Petrino is. Curry looked to be a good hire at the time – he was 10-1 at ‘Bama the year before UK got him. Goes to show that sometimes sheer talent can be quite a crutch for coaching ability. But as a man, Curry was a class act and a compassionate human being. Do you think Bobby P. would get on his hands and knees and personally clean up the blood off the front porch of the frat house that his player had been murdered at? Hell no, Bobby would be out nailing skanks on his Harley. Yes, Petrino is a better coach than Curry was, but he is a vile human being. That part is not up for debate! And his performance at UofL so far has really been pretty pedestrian. 7-5 in a mediocre conference, and they got blown out in the one bowl game he took them to in his second stint last year. I think Charlie Strong did better.

• cats42301
      4:37 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

No doubt Curry is a great guy. He had/has integrity that Petrino will never have. I was strictly talking about results on the football field and how some people always want to give the coach “a few more years” and a few years turning into a decade etc. that was all I was saying about Curry. The other part I was saying that even though Petrino is a class A jerk his experience was what made him do a qb change and that if Stoops was in that situation he would have stuck with Bolin too long because he has little experience. The same way he stuck with Towles too long in some games and stuck with Barker too long in the UL game. Just because you make a qb change doesn’t mean it is permanent and the other guy’s career is over. Heck good teams switch QB’s all the time. I think Stoops makes it a personal thing when benching someone and it doesn’t have to be like that. Obviously Towles was under the impression the staff was sticking with Barker in the future sink or swim but I don’t think that was the case. I think Barker made it a personal thing and got his feelings hurt so he said if they don’t want me I’ll just leave when it wasn’t that way at all. Towles would have been right back as the starter next year if he fixed his problems and won the job. He seems to think he would have been permanently benched

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:44 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

Curry was actually a great coach, but he just wasn’t a great fit at Kentucky. He coached in an old-school SEC style that required better recruits than Kentucky can regularly get. That made him a bad hire, but no disrespect to the man himself.

14. blueballs80
    4:13 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

That contract extension was a mistake. We can keep blaming youth but we fell apart partly due to coaching. We are stuck with Stoops for 2 more years of this BS. Enjoy the ticket sales Mitch or lack there of. Stoops will be his undoing and no way fans are gonna line up to see another m fn collapse.

15. cats42301
    4:21 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

How about hiring Guy Morriss back for O-Line coach? He lives in Lexington and working at some HS. I know Stoops wouldn’t hire him though because he wouldn’t want a person on staff that had head coaching experience especially UK head coaching experience but other than that Morriss would make a great O Line maybe Special teams coach. I have often wondered what would have happened had Morriss stayed at UK after a 7win season. He undoubtedly would have struggled during the probation years but after that I don’t know. I know his players would have ran through a brick wall for him. I’ll never forget the game at Miss St. where Morriss came out after halftime with his hand all wrapped after punching a locker due to the team’s lackluster defensive effort. When the defense ran on the field for the first time in the 2nd half Oliver Barnett sprinted in from the sideline clapping and getting the crowd fired up. He knew how to fire up a team. This team needs a coach like him in some capacity.

• inside info2
      4:30 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I can guarantee you that as long as Barnhart is the AD at UK, Morriss will not come back. I’m not even sure he comes to the UK games, although his family does some times.

• cats42301
      4:45 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Is it because Barnhart basically forced him to leave because Barnhart wanted to name his own head coach. From what I remember Baylor offered 1 mil per year. I am thinking UK offered 700k and wouldn’t budge. What else happened behind the scenes, do you remember?

• Long Dong Silver
      6:04 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Well, aside from the fact that Morriss was a defensive coach….

• Long Dong Silver
      6:06 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Cats42301, you seem to be a misinformed upstart. Please try to do some research before spouting off at the keyboard.

• Jaxson
      6:54 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Morris isn’t coming, but he was indeed the offensive line coach at UK.

• Red headed Stepchild
      6:54 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Cats, that’s exactly the way I remember the Morris situation. I know the players loved him, knew a few players back then.

I would love to have Guy back in some capacity. He was a great coach and even better person.

• Long Dong Silver
      7:01 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yes, you guys are correct. I was thinking of Mike Archer. Sorry about that.

16. inside info2
    4:29 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Barnhart was pretty much forced to give Stoops a contract extension at the time. Everyone thought Stoops was a great coach and would soon be picked off by a better program and we would have to start the hiring process all over again.

There were a few people who saw all the mistakes the coaches were making and all of their
    extracurricular on nights and weekends and realized this staff was not going to cut it.

Next year is going to be a disaster. No more than 4 wins and maybe 3. Barnhart may not even fire Stoops then because he is so stubborn. The only way we avoid this is if Stoops hires a heck of a DC and OL coach this year and then fires Dawson and hires an experienced SEC OC next year.

• cats42301
      4:42 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Extracurricular on nights and weekends? What are you talking about?

• inside info2
      4:42 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

*activities

• cats42301
      4:48 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yeah I get that but what specifically are you referring to?

• inside info2
      9:01 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Stoops and a couple of the coaches are at bars a lot. I’m not going to say any more than that.

17. TheNewOriginal
    5:10 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Hire Hal Mumme as OC. Mumme did more with less depth than any coach in recent history. The offense for the last two year has in no way resembled Mumme’s offense.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:47 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

Mumme transformed the entire sport at UK. ESPN last year named him the most influential figure in the game because of popularizing the Air Raid while at UK.

But he still had a losing record. Think about that. He completely changed the game while here so much that his influence still dominates even two decades later, and he STILL had a losing record. Can anybody consistently win here?

18. keiths
    7:14 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

This f*king guy doesnt know a good coach from a pile of dog doo. this is the same guy who hired joker, bcg and now the ginger pretender. Stoops is in way over his head. but of course Mitch is going to back him, otherwise it would be an admission of ANOTHER bad hire on his watch

19. buzzard
    10:07 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I really liked Guy Morris. I have zero confidence in Stoops or his staff. Someone mentioned the play at Vandy we were unable to communicate about the player on the sideline….which was the difference in the game. How freekin dub can you be! Stoops, quit blaming the players! That’s just bad coaching.
    The entire coaching staff needs to go ASAP.
    Mr. Barnfart you can count on me not renewing my season tickets for the first time in 10 yrs. I’d rather go to the dentist than watch UK football. And I’ve been a big fan since 1977.

20. MegatonRange
    11:52 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Some brainiac said he wanted Mike Leach as head coach. His records at Washington State were 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 & in his fourth year 8-4. I think CMS deserves as much time as Leach to show what he can do. In Washington State’s first game this year, they lost at home to Portland State & everybody out there wanted Leach fired. I wonder if they do now?

21. kentuckyrld
    9:52 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

There are two major problems with Coach Stoops and one more minor issue. The minor issue is that Coach does not make great in-game decisions. Yes, I know that many of those decisions are made by the coordinators but still Coach Stoops is ultimately responsible. The first major issue is that Coach Stoops cannot recruit. Yes he, at least on paper, has done a better job than most of his predecessors, but the fact remains that his recruiting is bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the SEC. The second major problem is that he simply is not succeeding at player development. These problems combined spell out one inescapable conclusion. Coach Stoops has no chance of success at UK. Really, it doesn’t matter if he is let go now or let go two years from now, his record is not going to change significantly. He might eventually make a bowl game but he simply will not have the players to compete in the SEC. So the choice basically boils down to this: pay the buyout now and try it all over again with someone new or leave it as it is and suffer through more mediocrity, or something less, until his contract runs out. The choice is yours Mr. Barnhart.

22. jr1122
    12:01 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I dont care if Missouri won the SEC East 10 years in a row, they were awful this year. The only home run he hit was with Cal. Kentucky is hands down one of the worst places to be a football coach..

23. CopenhagenCat
    3:02 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I believe UK fans supported Coach Stoops right out of the gate. Everyone was excited.They were going to this and going to do that. But nothing has changed. They are beating teams that are just awful. If you keep getting blown out games why would recruits wanna come here? The play calling has been terrible.Something has to change. I know it takes a while to build a program. But like I said some of the play calling is just unreal. There was no excuse for UK to get whipped that bad in the second half of the Louisville game. That was poor coaching. Stoops is suppose to be a great defensive coach. So where’s the defense? They couldn’t stop a team of 80 year olds. Maybe its just me but seems like the team just gave up like last year. I love my CATS but its just getting to sad to even watch a game.

24. bigbluex2
    10:39 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

As a long time UK football fan,this year was more depressing than most.From week one of the season,I heard the same thing from the coaching staff,in the post game interviews…..we need to play better/harder,coach better,clean a few things up in our play,and we will.Fast forward to week 10 against Vandy,in my opinion I thought the players didn’t play their best,but played well enough to win.I feel(and it really hurts me to say this) that the coaching staff lost this game,not the players.Coach Eliot was asked about the “trick play” and answered, it was a football play and you wouldn’t understand.He was right, I still don’t understand that play and a couple of more.The timeout on the punt and the lack of one on the field goal attempt.The players work their butt’s off to try to win football games for UK,at the very least,they deserve a coaching staff that can make the most fundamental of coaching decisions.I did see improvement in a few areas on this team,what I didn’t see was the coaching staff make any improvements in the decision making process,that to me was the biggest disappointment.With that being said….GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!