Mitch Barnhart tells KSR the new UK logo is here to stay

IMG_5950

The new UK logo isn’t going anywhere, Big Blue Nation. So get used to it.

Though many fans are very against it, the new look is permanent and it is too late to do anything about it. Mitch Barnhart confirmed to KSR today that UK is moving forward and focusing on bigger and better things than the shape of the K.

Barnhart told us this morning, “My take on it is: that’s where we are, so we can stop talking about it. Because that’s where we’re going to be.”

Here, read his entire explanation:

“We’ve invested in it. We worked closely with our university folks and the Nike folks, and it’s part of trying to have the K be a little more prominent and be out front a little bit more. From a graphics perspective, there are some things we are trying to do as we move our program forward. If that’s our conversation spot in all that we do, then we’ve got other issues. We’ve got to get past that and start talking about the things that are the most important in our program.

The logo’s important, but we want to make sure that we understand that, you know, we’ve made the decision to move on and we’ve invested a lot of energy and a lot of folks put a lot of time in it.”

Barnhart likened the new logo to music, saying opinions vary across the board. “You may like country, I may like Christian,” he explained. “People look at things differently through a different lens.”

Well, in the last hour I’ve listened to Jay Z, Justin Timberlake, Rick Ross, Sam Smith and Taylor Swift — and I still don’t like the logo. But I, like everyone else, will get over it. Let’s just win football games.

You can listen to Mitch Barnhart’s interview with KSR around the halfway mark of Hour 1 below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

130 Comments for Mitch Barnhart tells KSR the new UK logo is here to stay

1. novalsi
    11:54 am September 3, 2015 Permalink

Good. Now, maybe we can focus on FOOTBALL.

(I doubt it, though.)

2. BtownUKFan
    11:54 am September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m not a graphical artist so I don’t understand the hate.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      12:44 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

It’s like if your wife went and got a nose job without talking to you about it for input and she ended up with hatchet face.

UK asked no one… handed $$$ to the wrong people and ended up with crap that the fanbase doesn’t support.

Yet, they use the excuses “that they spent a lot of money'” and “people spent a lot of time on it” as actual reasons for why the K that has been with us for 50 years is being replaced.

Buffoonery

• GroundControlToNumber9
      12:48 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

The K we have grown to love was the signature. We were behind it.

Barnhart’s response is very guarded… as if he paid his daughter to do it and can’t tell her it’s “not an improvement… it’s way worse.”

And he’s backing it… so people… Mitch Barnhart loves the new K (so F you). The guy who use to wear orange loves our new K.

• novalsi
      12:48 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Haha, “asked no one.”

Make sure Mitch gets your email so he can get your permission on the rest of the marketing stuff.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      12:49 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

We should call it, the “Special K” in memory of Mitch and his short bus art eye.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      12:57 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Hey Novalski… how hard would it have been to poll the fans before you spend a bunch of money on lousy results.

He shouldn’t be in charge of art or in charge of hiring the person who hires the people who do the art from now on. Can we at least mark that down on his resume?

We are a 150 year old University with an art department yet act like we just went in halvses on a bowling alley.

• J-Dub421
      1:26 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If Barnhart/UK poll the fans for everything, then nothing will ever get done. You will end up with 10,000 different opinions. Just look at the candy, fast food, and cereal debates that went on on this site over the summer.

• Dude
      1:29 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

GroundControl, the Official UK Athletics website still has the old logo. You can relax for the time being.

3. Disingenuous
    11:57 am September 3, 2015 Permalink

“We wanted to make the K more prominent, so we turned it into an H.”

• Drew Franklin
      11:58 am September 3, 2015 Permalink

That made me laugh.

• J-Dub421
      12:25 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If that looks like an H to you, then you need to have your eyes checked.

• Right
      12:46 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^^That^^^^^^

4. bbn4LIFE
    11:58 am September 3, 2015 Permalink

These are the same people that concocted that hideous scoreboard, so why are people surprised with the new logos outcome? I want to know why fans were not consulted about this before going all in with it. I can promise nothing with that logo will be on display in my uk man cave at home.

• CatsBy80
      12:04 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

how often do businesses consult with their customers when they go thru re-branding? why do you feel that you needed to be consulted about the new logo? bitch, bitch, bitch. does this mean you’re not going to be a fan of the program because you don’t like the shape of the K?

for the record, i don’t like the K either, but I’m willing to put that behind me and cheer for the cats. i suggest you, and the rest of the whiners, do the same.

• J-Dub421
      12:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

There are plenty of people who do like the new logo or simply don’t care one way or another. It’s not all about you.

• RUPPS_rhetoric
      12:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Thank you CatsBy80. My sentiments exactly. We invest over $120 million in Football and all people do is bitch about a letter. As Allen Iverson would say: “A letter? we’re talking about a letter, not a game, but a letter. A letter?” I’m actually starting to like the new K because so many people hate it. I like being a contrarian, I think the new K is F’ing GORGEOUS! GO CATS! BEAT THE RAJIN CAJUN’S!!

• Uhh
      12:37 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

CatsBy80, businesses consult with their customers most of the time. Like Drew and his Taco Bell crap.

• Hmmm
      1:15 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

That’s weird. I didn’t get a call from Google about their new logo and I use all there stuff… I’m going to go complain on their message board… BRB #FightTheMan #OldK #Trump16

5. Chris
    12:02 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

So much for BBN First

• catden
      10:49 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If you want the “K” to stand out more…..drop the”U” in the logo!!!!

6. Jerry
    12:03 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Who cares about the UK logo. Bring the penis tongue back!

• Juan4UK
      1:10 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

THIS!!! That was hilarious! Fun times for teenage guys and gals! AND, this is the digital age, lets do it!!

7. Mr. Personality
    12:04 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

First, the logo is bad. Second, can he be a bit more conciliatory in his tone?

I know he is challenged in the PR arena, but thats a relatively sharp quote to be read as “Shut up”… just like with the “microwave fans” comment.

That said, thank god they are investing in football.

• novalsi
      12:13 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

What/when was the “Microwave Fans” thing?

• DTrill
      12:51 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I think he was trying to say “Shut Up”, and I agree with him. With all the good things going on with the program and all the heinous things going on in the world, so many people are talking about a change to the “K” in the logo. Really?

• inside info2
      1:40 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Mitch is definitely not a people person. His is very socially awkward (so am I). Watching his interaction with fans is comical. UK had to hire a separate person to work on the fundraising part of the AD’s job because Mitch wasn’t very good at it. So I’m not surprised by the “deal with it” statement. He really should let someone else handle these PR interviews.

Oh, but don’t mess with him. He has been taking Krav Maga for years. He can kick your butt.

8. Poppschmidty
    12:09 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If we got over the change to the “old penis tongue” Cat years ago, we can get over this.

9. bbn4LIFE
    12:09 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’ve always said we should strive to be more like the university of Houston. Smh.

• DTrill
      12:53 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I don’t like your lowercase “bbn” in your name, should be all caps. You should change it pronto or we should discuss it for the next year.

10. bbn4LIFE
    12:12 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

My dad always said that wildcat had cock jaw lmao

11. RandyB
    12:12 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t appreciate the arrogance when Mitch told logo objectors to go pound sand. Would love to know who came up with this particular logo. Nike? Mitch’s wife? The same committee who came up with playing My Old Kentucky Home after the 3rd Quarter to fire people up?

• Juan4UK
      1:13 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

get over yourself. Its a font. Big freaking deal. It has a U and a K. that’s whats important. Everything can’t be an online poll. Bigger fish to fry for sure.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      2:16 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

The logo IS THE BRAND… go take some Business Marketing classes at our fine Gatton College of Business (advice for Mitch as well).

Go tell Coca-Cola or Nike themselves that you want to hand their logo redesign over to your Jr High School daughter to do for them.

She’ll get the whole Girl Scout squad together to make it perfect. And cost you $5,000,000 in lost revenue.

I donate to this University. I want them to be successful. When they make these decisions with the logo (THE BRANDING) it means the money I donated will have to be stretched thinner because they will be getting less revenue from the marketing efforts (wrong people making decisions).

Stick to what you know Mitch. And listen to your customers.

• Kent Pack
      11:53 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

Will not purchase anything with this new logo on it, will boycott anything UK with this stupid looking logo.

12. UK Big Board Update
    12:13 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

This still gets me PUMPED!!! Looking forward to the game Saturday!! LESSSSS GOOOOOOOOO!!!

13. BigBlueComingAtYou
    12:17 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

The logo is a huge part of the Kentucky brand. Merchandise will either have Kentucky or the UK logo on it. If fans don’t like the new logo then they are likely to pass on items with the new logo on it which means lost revenue. So i would say this new logo is a pretty big issue that should be addressed. A simple fan / alumni poll would have made all the difference.

And someone explain to me how hiding part of the K makes it more prominent?

• UKfaninLou
      12:35 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Really? I can’t imagine the difference in the K would stop me from buying a big blue shirt I liked otherwise! Sorry, just seems petty. I mean, at least we’re not dealing with something like that God-awful giant ugly L, right?

• CatsBy80
      1:11 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I don’t like the new K, but I’m absolutely going to buy apparel that has it, because if I don’t, then I won’t have the up-to-date merchandise, which I like to have…. If you seriously think people aren’t going to buy apparel because of this K, then you are delusional.

14. bbn4LIFE
    12:22 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

What business is it of us the fans? We only make up 95% of the total revenue generated for the university.

• JoeMoney333
      1:06 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Let’s be honest. 3% of the fans make up 95% of the revenue, the rest of you comment on message boards and fill in the last 5%

15. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:24 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I think the new K is awesome. If you don’t like the new K you’re probably a Louisville fan.

16. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:26 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

One thing is for certain, we have the bitchiest, whiniest fan base in the world when it comes to critiquing Architecture, Construction, and Graphics. It’s like the entire fanbase has a design degree from the Rhode Island School of Design, you know RISD; great program!

• novalsi
      12:51 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

http://bit.ly/1NcSQTF – Hahaha I’m just gonna leave this here … it’s a Google Image search of the actual (like, ACTUAL) RISD Mascot. NSFW.

17. bbn4LIFE
    12:26 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

^go catch cock jaw moron. WAR EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DTrill
      12:57 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m confused. How are you “bbn4LIFE” if you are screaming War Eagles?

18. Laker Cat 18
    12:28 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

University of Hentucky. The “H” has a broken hip. The powers that be could have done a much better job with the redesign of the “K.”

19. Capisch
    12:29 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

This logo is not only the new athletics logo but will be the logo for the entire university as a whole. They are doing away with the Memorial Hall UK logo as well. You can and will see this new UK logo on everything from university buses on campus to the website two building signage etc.

I must say, I hate the new logo myself and agree completely that it looks exactly like the University of Houston logo. We are in an era of visual mediocrity and must conform to what some marketing think tank thinks is best while ripping of an existing design with no creativity or design integrity. Just copy and paste, wash and repeat.

20. Wah Wah Wah
    12:33 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If you think the H looks like a K, you should probably go see an ophthalmologist. And people will still buy UK stuff, revenue will not suffer bc of one silly change. You guys need a bottle of warm milk or still on your mom’s breast?

21. david
    12:35 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

1/2 H + 1/2 K More K

• Math
      1:08 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Your strong suit isn’t math is it…

22. WOW!
    12:37 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Nice Mitch! Totally dismissive and arrogant. FYI, the logo is kind of a big deal!

I wonder how much UK makes per year in merchandising. That money goes back to the program. It’s also money I won’t be spending on this cheap, non-creative, UH knockoff! It literally makes me sick. It’s just like the rest of college athletics… a freaking money-grab! Why fix it, if it’s not broken? Boycott the UH logo when it goes on hats and tshirts, and we’ll see how permanent this is!!!

23. bbn4LIFE
    12:37 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Uk is uk because the fans care so much about the university. If you don’t want to care there is a school 70 miles west that doesn’t even care if you’ve beat women or not. Go play in traffic wah wah.

24. theWilkman
    12:44 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I don’t believe this many people seriously have a problem with it. It’s a small contingency of vocal fans who have nothing else to bitch about. The difference is so small that had KSR not pointed it out it wouldn’t even be a thing. Go find something else to complain about, or don’t buy merchandise with the new logo. Pretty simple.

• theWilkman
      12:46 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

And seriously, if you think it looks “exactly like the UH logo” you need to get your eyes checked.

25. walter
    12:46 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Drew, you listen to sam smith and taylor swift..? What a tool.

26. NL
    12:47 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, don’t buy merchandise so that the athletics suffer because of a slight variation in the K in our logo! Makes total sense! #Trump2016

27. Hoosierdaddy
    12:50 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Look the IU logo and the old Amtrak Logo had a baby!

Or is it University of Houston?

UK sold out it’s brand to the whims of Nike.

• RockyMountainWildcat
      3:36 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Aww, a Hoosier, how cute. Let me just remind you of the fact that we’ve had 4 different president’s in office since your boys last won a title. Also, how does this look anything like the IU logo? Are you blind as well as stupid?

• RockyMountainWildcat
      3:39 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Also, Amtrak? Are you 100 years old? Who the hell brings up Amtrak any more, much less knowing what their old logo looks like? I guess it would be cool if you were 100, bc that way you would have been alive for one of IU’s last titles, unlike so many of their other fans.

• Hoosierdaddy in jest
      6:24 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Man I love your replies, for real. Not a Hoosier fan lmao and everything you said is true, well almost. I’m not 100, just have a nerdy fascination with logos and recall of the same.

Still stand by what I said, the logo sucks and we simply did what Nike told us to do.

Go IU, UH, Amtrak! :p

GO CATS!!!

28. Stevem
    12:53 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

For Barnhat to dismiss fan feelings on the new logo in the way he did was not very smart, but then again no one has ever accused him of being a smart man. Moreover, I fail to understand why not liking the logo somehow translates into not being a good UK fan. What’s the correlation? Finally don’t think for a minute that merchandise sales won’t determine the future of this logo. Glad I have plenty of UK stuff as I for one won’t be buying much more in the near future. I personally think this logo is awful.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      1:11 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

It is awful… and we will speak with our wallets.

Attending games sure.

Buying memorabilia? Not a chance.

And the reality is they changed it because a Marketing guy told them when sports programs change their logo they see a 65% increase in memorabilia sales the follow year.

The problem with that logic is that’s only if the new logo passes the eye test of the fans. This one doesn’t. Just wait and watch… Mitch will eat his words and they will be changing it back soon enough.

• Bryan
      1:20 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

But the logo is all over the stadium, and even on the field. 😉

• J-Dub421
      1:29 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’ll buy twice as much just to counteract you.

• Hmmm...
      1:40 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m willing to bet GroundControl9 isn’t going to go to any football games for some piss poor excuse, as well. Like, he doesn’t like the shade of green of the turf, or the pavement in the concourse is not to his liking.

• CatsBy80
      1:49 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

ground control… you willing to put your money where your mouth is on this “mitch eating his words” business? i’ll take the winnings from our wager and go buy some merchandise with the new K on it.

29. UK Fans
    1:01 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If we say we don’t like the new K, you change it back. Don’t give an F what Nike says. We like our traditional Block K. The new K sucks ass.

• Dude
      1:08 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

So because a handful of miserable fans don’t like it, you have to ruin it for everybody? ‘Murica.

• UK Fans
      1:21 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Did not know Kentucky had any miserable fans? And how much is a handful?

• Dude
      1:26 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

After reading your poorly prepared response, I’m just gonna leave this one alone. I will not suffer fools, gladly.

Have fun at recess.

• UK Fans
      1:39 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

That is what I thought. Do us all a favor and leave everything alone.

30. From a distance...
    1:04 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

… or when printed small it is just going to look like a Rorschach test blob.

If Mitch wanted the ‘K’ more prominent, which is a good idea, then they could have just dropped the ‘U’.

This really is a dumb logo to have spent more money on.

• Wow
      1:07 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Then you need your eyesight checked by a licensed physician.

31. JoeMoney333
    1:04 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I just love the tears of people who get upset over nothing but I am really glad it’s staying.

32. Dude
    1:06 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

The same people who are whining about this are more than likely the same fans who whined about chrome helmets, platinum/grey jerseys, what shoes the basketball team was wearing, not wanting to play hip-hop at CWS and keeping Rupp the same. Did I miss anything?

• Stevem
      1:15 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Let’s look at merchandise sales a year from now and see whether this is all about whining. Problem today is that intolerant folks don’t respect opinions that don’t comport with theirs and can only feel good by calling others names. Sad

• CatsBy80
      1:17 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

i believe this is spot on. “our colors are blue & white, damnit!”

• Dude
      1:21 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Yes. Let’s.

• J-Dub421
      1:39 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

And get off my lawn you darned kids!!!!

• Duff
      1:52 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Merchandise sales will be fine. People will buy all the new Nike stuff that comes out regardless of how the K looks. Hell, I’ll probably pike up a shirt or two myself. But, the point is the old K is gone and it was so much better looking than the new one. That’s just my opinion, respect it or not, I don’t care. Hypothetical here: What if GA changed it’s G, or Alabama changed it’s A? People would scream bloody murder and I would completely understand why.

33. bbn4LIFE
    1:07 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Let me guess joe, you like to look up videos online of people dying. Sick prick.

• Troll Slayer
      1:10 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Obvious troll is trolling. Poorly.

• JoeMoney333
      1:10 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Let me guess bbn4LIFE, you project things on strangers ,to criticize them, so you can give yourself a false sense of satisfaction. Hit home?

Also, there is a reply button, learn to internet man.

• Trolling
      1:12 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Obviously not poorly if I elicit a response. Better luck next time slayer…

• Troll Slayer
      1:18 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I sincerely feel sorry for you. Seek help.

• TrollMaster
      1:33 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Don’t Bother. I have a delightful family. A wonderful Job. A really nice house. A lovely and practical car. Healthy, I mean a touch overweight but honestly who isn’t now-a-days. I do notice that you keep coming back which is a bit funny since you called me out for trolling.

• Troll Slayer
      1:38 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I have a yacht docked at St. Barts and party with Victoria’s Secret models. I love the internet, don’t you? 😉

• TrollMaster
      1:52 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

It has it’s positives but then again it’s given an avenue for people to express their opinions no matter how uneducated or ignorant they are. For example, everyone here complaining about the shape of a letter. So I guess you take the good w/ the bad.

34. J-Town Wildcat
    1:11 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Really amazed at the attitude of our AD on this one as it is clearly a swing and miss with the fan base, who last I checked are the one who will be buying the stuff that has this hideous logo on it. I have continued to try and convince myself that it will grow on me, but that has yet to actually occur. Ultimately, I care about success on the field/court more than the logo, but I do think the logo looks terrible with the redesigned K.

35. Edward
    1:14 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

It takes a CROOKED MAN to build a CROOKED “K” at UK! STADIUM looks great Mitch but the logo is UGLY TO THE BONE.

36. Alt-Blue
    1:20 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I approve of the logo change, but I understand why people don’t like it. You don’t hate it because it is “bad” (because it isn’t), you hate it because it isn’t what you are used to. Anytime there is a new logo people hate it… then they get used to it and everything is fine.

Did we need a new logo? Not necessarily, but I’ve always thought UK and Kentucky as a state are behind the times. It’s nice to see that they aren’t afraid to make a change.

The UK and UH logo’s have had the same style for a while now, but no one complained about it before. Everyone is just looking for a reason as to why they hate the new logo, the answer is you hate it because it’s new.

• Dude
      1:30 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Well said. Nailed it.

• Yoda
      1:50 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Sure, because a new logo is representative of our progressive nature as a state…?

• Hmmm...
      2:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Is this satire, too?

• Alt-Blue
      3:33 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

A new logo doesn’t represent the states progressive nature, but maybe people’s inability accept change does.

• somerset bill
      4:14 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

“…you hate it because it’s new.”

you like it because it’s new. read your post. you make no other case for it. change!

• Alt-blue
      9:36 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I dont just like it because it’s new, my personal opinion is that it is a better logo. I am a Graphic Designer and I make logos for a living, and I am always paying attention to logo changes. I think the logo looks modern, clean and symmetrical. The old one looked like it belongs in the early 2000’s and it’s a style that isn’t being used anymore. The only thing I don’t like about it is the inner line is a little thin and you can hardly see it when the logo is small, but overall I think it is good.

37. Where is the new gear?
    1:25 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If this is what we’re going with, where can we get the merch.? I like the old one but if we can’t have it lets get the new one out there.

Point me in the direction of the hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.

I would guess that the companies selling this will take a while to get the new logo out there and will have to sell out of all the old UK logo items.

38. Yoda
    1:39 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

“We wanted the K to be more prominent, so we let a middle school kid bid in a contest for the Most Mediocre Binder Art. We really feel that this represents our University and willingness to totally depart from our tradition and recognizable brand.”

• Hmmm...
      1:42 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’ve read the post a few times, and I don’t see that quote anywhere….??

I’ll keep looking….

• Yoda
      1:56 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Satire, my friend. Satire.

• Hmmm...
      1:59 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Sarcasm, my friend. Sarcasm.

39. JimTheChin
    2:10 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I affirm that my opinion should mean nothing to Mitch or to UK. I affirm that it is complete nonsense that I am so worked up about this. However, I HATE this new logo. It is like they took my favorite thing to wear, to hang up in my man cave, to display proudly and made it awful.. And I agree with the guy that said they turned it into a H. This logo is a complete rip-off of Houston’s logo, just the H has been kicked in on the sides. It’s just turrrrrrible.

40. Doug Pelfrey's Facemask
    2:16 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’ve always been a fan of U I Sideways-Y

• JimTheChin
      2:36 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

And now all I can see is a sideways Y.. Thanks a lot FACEMASK!

41. Lostrevenue
    2:33 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I probably buy a new UK shirt about once every 2 months, but no more. Unless it happens to just have “Kentucky” spelled out, I won’t be buying anything with this new logo. I don’t dislike because it’s new, I dislike because it doesn’t look as good and before. I’m not against change, as I loved when we added the grey and black to our football jerseys, but we need to change for the better, not worse. Stock up now on clothes, before it changes for good.

• Brian
      3:31 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Quit posting under different names to prove your point, GroundControlToNumber9……

• GroundControlToNumber9
      4:07 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I post under 1 name. Is Mitch paying you to clean up the mess he made?

42. LT
    2:41 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Damn. Now I have to repaint my cornhole boards.

43. somerset bill
    2:52 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

“here to stay” vs. 101 comments in this thread in 3 hours. we shall see, mr. barnhart. we shall see.

• Complex
      3:08 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

It feels like you mean that seriously but I can’t take it as anything other than sarcasm. KSR comments lol

• Brian
      3:32 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

And 50% of the comments are for the new logo. If not more.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      4:06 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Everyone please pardon Brian… he works for the Marketing firm that took the special out of our K.

• somerset bill
      4:10 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

complex, regardless of the forum, 100+ comments vs. totals on other threads on the page (14 3 0 13 15 47 16 3) seems to suggest the topic has legs with the fanbase. like the scoreboard painting, the logo isn’t well designed, which makes it harder to defend if the discussion about it grows.

• J-Dub421
      4:34 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I can’t believe this many people have their panties in a wad over a slightly different K. It’s barely different!!!

44. GearBuyer
    2:56 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

If I’m Kennedy’s Book store on stocking up on “Kentucky” gear 3 to 1 over “UK” gear this season

45. How much money
    3:17 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

was spent on this thing?

It looks like something Joker would design in Photoshop.

46. stoneule
    3:46 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

The logo is truly awful. I do wish we’d go back to the power K. I will gladly join the others in definitely not buying any new merchandise with the “H” on it. But as long as Nike keeps making the retro-themed UK stuff it wont matter. UK/Nike will still get my money.

47. Michael
    3:52 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

There are nonNike Power K shirts online, and I’m sure that the local fan shops would sell them, too…. I really hope that this new logo is short-lived and that the logo goes back to something that includes the traditional K, whether it’s interlocked with a U or not.

48. GroundControlToNumber9
    3:58 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

You know what we’ve spent millions of dollars on for the last 50 years?

Brand recognition for the K that we all know and love.

Everyone knew (up until a week ago) that the Kentucky ‘K’ was not the Kansas ‘K’, and that it was not the ‘United Kingdom’ (UK). It was recognizable and had a touch of originality (exactly what you want in a good logo).

Change the uniform, add grey and black (neutral colors). That’s all fine and most UK fans enjoys what was done with the uniforms.

But mess with the letter that represents us… that is ours (not yours Mitch) and learn the hard way that you have stepped into darkness.

Mitch didn’t go to UK. His parents didn’t go to UK. His grandparents didn’t go to UK. Where’s some respect for what you have no right to touch?

• J-Dub421
      4:41 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Why do you think that you and your opinion are representative of our entire fanbase? I’m a fourth generation Wildcat. My great-grandfather graduated from UK, my grandmother graduated from UK, I graduated from UK. I don’t have a problem with the logo. It’s not really that big a change, and 99.9% of people outside of our fanbase will never notice a difference. No one is going to suddenly confuse us with Kansas because the K is the tiniest bit different. Our “brand” hasn’t changed.

49. UKBlue1!
    4:19 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I don’t like the K or the checkerboard. I also don’t like the artificial turf. I do like the new seats and what they are doing to the outside of the stadium. I like Blue and white and don’t really care for the rest of the chrome, silver, gray or black that has been added in the last 5 years. Anyway I guess that is what happens with a UT man is the UK AD.

• Acme Pale Ale
      10:49 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

Don’t forget the UT man got Cal. Quit hating.

50. Brian
    4:45 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Let’s get this petition moving: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-back-the-k

Mitch can’t ignore us forever.

• Consumer
      4:52 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Petition won’t do any good. Economic boycott will

• Brian
      5:41 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, maybe petitions haven’t reversed many things. I just think it is good to get everyone’s complaints in one place (with hopefully a high number of signatures) where anyone can see the fan outrage on one page.

51. Acme Pale Ale
    10:47 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

Everyone always talks about change and want it to happen until it does. Businesses change policies, procedures and logos, all the time. By changing the K everyone is talking about the Cats. What a great marketing scheme. Just be happy that the Cats have a new stadium, field and they are investing in football more than ever. Wins will overcome the K conversation.

52. David Cobbs
    1:48 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

“What does rivalry mean to you?
    I’m a college student working with my professors to answer that question and others related to understanding fans’ perspective of college football rivalries. Please take our survey (5-10 minutes) to tell us what rivalry means to Kentucky fans, and we’ll come back to share the results once compiled.

We collected rivalry data initially in 2013, and we’re hoping for more data now and to track possible changes in rivalry over time. Thanks in advance for helping with our research!

Will Borland, Sports Business student at Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. David Tyler, Western Carolina University”