Michigan State is coming after Vince Marrow (UPDATED)

News broke this morning that Michigan State is hiring Colorado’s Mel Tucker as its new head coach. While that means the Spartans are staying away from Mark Stoops, they are coming after Kentucky’s next most valuable staff member: Vince Marrow.

Sources tell KSR that Michigan State has already reached out to Marrow to be its lead recruiter. Why would the Big Dog leave Lexington for East Lansing, you ask? Tucker and Marrow are close friends that both have a strong network of connections in the state of Ohio, making this a situation to keep an eye on.

Marrow Watch resumes…

UPDATE (10:20 a.m.): According to Matt Jones on this morning’s show, Michigan State is prepared to offer Marrow a substantial pay increase from his current salary at UK. Last year, Marrow signed a three-year deal with Kentucky that will pay him $625,000 for the 2020 season and $650,000 for the 2021 season. His buyout is $150,000 per year remaining on his deal.

UPDATE (10:40 a.m.): Justin Rowland is reporting that Michigan State is prepared to offer Marrow close to $1 million per year. Can Kentucky match it?

30 Comments for Michigan State is coming after Vince Marrow (UPDATED)

1. UKInsider
    8:51 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Why would the Big Dawg leave a great recruiting class and the foundation he has built at UK for Sparty, which is a sh*t show at the moment? How does this help the Big Dawg get closer to his head coaching aspirations. Non-news.

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:01 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

You telling me you wouldn’t leave your job for double the pay?

• StillBP
      11:09 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

bbt…depends…if it’s double the work, maybe not. Not saying this one will be double, I guess my point is money isn’t always the determining factor. If I can make good money and be happy where I am, I’ll take that over better money and too stressed to enjoy life. And depending on exactly what they’re offering, it’s not quite double since he’s bringing in 625 and 650

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:12 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I get what you are saying, but we aren’t talking about “more money” we are talking about DOUBLE the money. Also, what does that say about your importance to that organization? If he’s really that important to UK recruiting, then you pay him like he’s important.

• StillBP
      11:17 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

How do you know it’s double? Close to $1 mill is all I see, do you know the exact number? 950 is close to 1 mil…he’s at 625/650…so not really double. Double would be 1.2+

I’m cool if UK wants to match them, though. Not that it matters what I’m cool with 🙂

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:44 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, agreed with respect to the actual number. I’m rounding based on hearsay. It could be only 30% increase, but that’s still significant.

2. ClutchCargo
    9:44 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Not that it couldn’t happen, but Stoops and Marrow are also close friends who both have a strong network of connections in the state of Ohio. I can’t imagine why he would leave in the middle of building a program to start rebuilding a different program.

3. bbn606
    9:52 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I smell a raise coming his way.

4. BigBlueFoo42777
    10:17 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Mich St. May be a shit show now but with Mel Tucker they will be really good. But like the rest of you I dont see him going anywhere as long as his pay increases.

• walden
      10:25 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Based on what? 5-7 in the PAC 12? The dude was a 2nd or 3rd option (maybe worse) to get the HC job at Michigan State. I’ll go on record and say Marrow would be a better HC than the guy that’s trying to hire him.

5. Poppschmidty
    10:44 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

This is the time for the program to show we’re ready to play with the big dogs and offer the Big Dawg the $$ to stay.

• Alex90
      10:54 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

They have already been doing this

6. Ukcatlee
    10:46 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Pay Big Dawg what he deserves!

7. StillBP
    10:48 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Can KY match it? YES. Will they? I hope so.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    11:03 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

If you want to play in the big leagues….

9. boomroasted09
    11:25 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Match it!!!

10. ClutchCargo
    11:27 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure Mitch and Stoops have a handle on what needs to be done here. There is a recent history of good moves being made to improve the football program, so I’m not going to stress out about it.

11. Righteous1
    11:31 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

If Ambassador Calipari can make 10 million per season and his assistants can make more than a million each, then 500K or more in addition to this man which has more than proven his worth should not be an issue at all!

• RealCatsFan
      1:21 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Come on, Rick, everyone knows it’s you. I’m sorry that Cal stole your mojo and beat you about 8 out of 10 years while you were at University-6, in spite of your best efforts to get recruits with ho’s in the dorms and $$$ from Adidas. I know Cal is laughing his ass off at you while he is running the Camelot that was once your domain. Most of us UK fans feel a little bit sorry for you, in spite of how ridiculous you make yourself look. Here’s some good advice that might make your life easier:

12. UKInsider
    11:32 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

It’s called leverage. Marrow is staying with BBN.

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:46 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s always possible. I hate to see that kind of leverage being used, but if that’s really market value then….

13. friendsofcoal
    12:09 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

His good ole buddy is trying to get him a pay raise. UK, up his pay to $750k and if that’s not enough then we wish you the best.

Listen, these coaches are no different than anybody else. They know how to get a raise!

14. friendsofcoal
    12:10 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think the big dawg will leave unless it’s for a “head job”.

15. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    12:45 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

We can’t lose this guy.

16. DerBaron
    1:35 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

E Lansing v Lexington? Rust Belt v Bluegrass horse farms? I guess if you were raised in Youngstown E Lansing doesn’t seem so bad?

17. bcp99
    3:03 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

MSU has hired Tucker who resigned from Colorado……Vince is not going anywhere

• satcheluk
      5:44 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Tucker is a childhood friend of Marrow’s and offering him a big raise.

18. satcheluk
    5:43 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Pay him!

19. 1stkatman
    6:29 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

We have to pay what th3 market will bare or he will move on.

20. Middy
    7:33 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

$750k… lol. I’d hate to be your employee! Unless you’re already set for life, not too many people walk away from $250k+ more a year to do the same job. Shorting him like that would be an insult to his contributions and value.