Meet the candidates: Lincoln Riley

linconriley

Throughout the day, KSR is profiling who we’re hearing are the top candidate for UK’s offensive coordinator position. First up, East Carolina’s Lincoln Riley…

LINCOLN RILEY

Current position: Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach, East Carolina
Age: 31
Twitter: @LincolnRiley
Alma Mater: Texas Tech
Current salary: $200,000

Coaching history:

2010 – present: Offensive Coordinator East Carolina
2008 – 2009: Inside Receivers Coach Texas Tech
2007 – 2007: Wide Receivers Coach Texas Tech

Offensive philosophy: Air Raid

Lincoln Riley is an Air Raid disciple, learning it from Mike Leach at Texas Tech and taking it to ECU with Ruffin McNeill in 2010. ECU has ranked in the top 25 nationally in total offense for three of the five seasons Riley’s been in charge, rising as high as third nationally this season with 543.8 yards per game. Although Riley learned the Air Raid directly from Mike Leach, it’s important to note that over the years, Riley’s version has evolved to include more rushing. Right now, 58% of ECU’s plays are passing and 42% rushing.

Current offensive statistics:

Total offense: 3rd, 543.8 yards per game, 5,982 total (4,011 passing, 1971 rushing), 6.7 yards per play
Passing offense: 3rd, 364.6 yards per game, 332-520 (63.8%) for 4,011 yards total, 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions
First downs: 2nd, 29.1 first downs per game, 320 first downs total (96 rushing, 195 passing, 29 penalty)

Not to be confused with…

Lincoln Riley the famous sommelier

The two really look alike, which made this morning’s Google Image search a little confusing.

We’ll have profiles of the other three candidates throughout the afternoon…

8 Comments for Meet the candidates: Lincoln Riley

1. BUCats
    12:26 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

If Stoops wants to continue the Air Raid, my vote is for this guy.

2. Katya
    1:44 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

Anybody who pushes for the Murray State guy doesn’t know football. No FCS guy when we’re trying to compete in the SEC please.

3. Frank Dux
    2:30 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

I’d say this guy ends up at Clemson

4. Humdittydiddycatsbyfiddy
    3:12 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

Here is a good bio on Lincoln Riley as well. The more I read the more i like about this guy

5. cracka
    3:16 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

#s look good, but is this seriously “the list”, these few guys matt jones listed last night?

what about marshall, they average 30 yds more a game and are 2nd only to Baylor in ppg … what about boise state’s guy? are there not other OCs out there that might want to play in the sec? idk, maybe this guy is better than them.

I agree with katya, though, hard to believe a guy would go from murray state to Kentucky OC, maybe he could be a qb or receiver’s coach first

in stoops I trust

6. Billy Mays Here
    5:45 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

I hate that we will lose out to Clemson for this guy. Lincoln Riley is a winner. We should have been aggressive in going after him starting Sunday.

The BBN fan base wants to win, but we also want an exciting, aggressive offense that spreads sideline-to-sideline running 4- and 5-wide sets. We thought Brown would do that, but it seems we got more of the Joker-era offense that played football only between the tackles via draws, dives, and middle screens. I can count the number of times we saw a streak pass, and virtually all of them were at Florida. Our QB had more than three times as many rushing attempts as our leading RB this season! I’m afraid we will step back and get an OC that’s an older guy who’s shuffled around from school to school (Gran, Beck, worse) that will bring a system we haven’t been recruiting for like a pro-set or run-based offense.

During the Mumme-era, even when we weren’t good on defense, offensively we were so aggressive that opponents were scared to face us!

We want a younger guy with some excitement who can relate to recruits and sway them. A guy who will put the ball in the air A LOT. A Lincoln Riley or a Kendal Briles. We don’t want a hire that will crush our optimism and excitement for the future.

7. jbond002
    5:59 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

I really want Lincoln Riley. I think that Chris Hatcher would be too much of a gamble, and we need to bring in guys that have proven results. Riley had the 3rd best offense in the NCAA this year. Thats crazy. That said, I also like Eddie Gran’s experience, and his ties with Stoops make him seem like hes maybe the early front runner. James Coley has good experience with some big time names too though, and he also has ties with Mark Stoops. It sounds like they have a favorite and a backup for the Pro-Style and the Air Raid. In my opinion, I hope they continue the Air Raid with Lincoln Riley, but as a backup go with the pro style with James Coley. I really hope they don’t hire Chris Hatcher though. He may be doing ok at Murray State, but he should just stay there, to be honest.

8. rainman
    6:24 pm December 1, 2014 Permalink

This would be my choice, but I have to admit, Pro Style offense sounds enticing!