McElwain called the UK film the “quickest reel in the history of ball”

screen-shot-2016-09-08-at-1-02-09-pm

When talking about his upcoming opponent after yesterday’s practice, Florida head coach Jim McElwain had some really good things to say about the Kentucky offense and its personnel. He also said the Cats’ game film from last Saturday was a quick watch, leaving him wondering what happened to the rest of it.

The full quote, via McElwain’s press conference:

“These guys are an explosive offense now. I don’t know how much you watched them or anything, but they have unbelievable skill. They’ve got some wide-outs that can go get it. They throw it. They challenge you. They play at a pretty good pace and tempo.

You know, the other team last week, they were going up and down the field until they didn’t get opportunities. What did they have, only about 15 plays or something in the second half? That was the quickest reel to watch in the history of ball. When you’re going to that, you’re like, ‘Now wait a minute, where’s the rest of it?’

But they definitely know what they’re doing and they’ve done a really good job there in recruiting. They’ve got good players.”

Positive spin-zone: Kentucky’s offense didn’t give the Florida staff a lot of film to scout. McElwain and his assistants only got to see a highlight reel of home run throws and a run here and there from Boom Williams. They don’t have a clue what’s in the playbook now. Let’s say this was Mark Stoops’ strategy the whole time, to only take 14 snaps in the second half to keep the whole arsenal under wraps.

Yeah. That’s what happened. That was a calculated move all along, only the defense was supposed to hang onto that 25-point lead.

Good luck stopping the Cats now, Jim!

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for McElwain called the UK film the “quickest reel in the history of ball”

1. LosingTradition
    1:23 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I have zero faith against the gators. Everyone keeps bringing up how we have played them close…I hate to say it but I think this game is going to get ugly.

2. derichgail
    1:47 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I think we score easily and often. I look for our offense to be present both halves and put up 30 on em. Gators dont have the offense to get to 30 and if they run that just means they spend more time trying to get to 30. We win bc our offense scores more points.

• LosingTradition
      2:01 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I hope you’re right. I’ll still be watching and hoping their streak is broken and ours stays alive.

3. RealCatsFan
    1:50 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

“It’s football stuff – you guys wouldn’t understand.” 😀

4. david8577
    2:07 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Not much to watch size our game 1 time of possession was 1 minute 12 seconds..

5. david8577
    2:09 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

*since

6. secrick
    2:21 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Drew, You are trying to be funny but i think you may have hit the nail on the head, lets let the defense hold them and don’t take any chances and that”s b.s.

7. ClutchCargo
    2:33 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Call me crazy, but I won’t be shocked if we win this game. We display that same offensive explosiveness we did in the first half, the defense and running game show up at all, it’s a win. The offense will get better, and the defense just played too many snaps against S. Miss. Any defense would get waxed playing 90+ snaps a game with barely a break in the second half.

• RealCatsFan
      3:19 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Dude, pass the bong – I need some of that! 😀

But seriously, just messin’ with ya. I earnestly hope you are right!

• Piedma Schwartz
      4:29 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

The fact that the defense played 90+ snaps on defense wasn’t just happenstance. It’s because they suck and couldn’t make a single stop. There’s no reason to believe it won’t happen again against a superior team to USM.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    3:52 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I actually considered that this was the plan several days ago. I would not be surprised at all if that’s what Stoops and Co was trying to do. Let’s consider, just for a second, that this was the plan all along. I’d say the team on the field did exactly what we all should have expected – The offense was explosive (assuming the 2nd half breakdown was intentional), the defense was not deep enough (exactly what they said all camp long). The unfortunate part was that the defense could not hold the point total. Otherwise, that game would have been exactly what they wanted.

• cats paw
      4:20 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

yea. Stoops has practiced this game plan for 4 yrs in a row now! brilliant…..

9. BluKudzu
    3:55 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Nothing you canbput in a bong will make you conjure up such plans. Stoops needs wins and he knows it. I do hope we show better than Southern Miss.

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:59 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Don’t ever invest in the stock market. A loss today, can be a big win tomorrow.

10. Bluebloodtoo
    3:57 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

If you could have chosen to win the USM game or the florida game, which would you have chosen?

• Kernel Sanders
      5:02 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

News flash….this coaching staff, team and hell, the whole program is too woefully AWFUL to pick and choose which games to win. They are fighting for their freaking jobs!! So your scenario, if true, proves they are dumb as a box of rocks, because now those 6 wins needed to show a bit of improvement look dam near impossible.

11. secrick
    4:11 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Florida game if it was a guarantee, but it’s not so S.M.

12. Bluebloodtoo
    4:19 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I’m not saying they intentionally lost that game. I’m saying they MAY have had a plan which involved some risk. Risk is inherent in every decision. Some people like to avoid all risk, some people prefer to weigh the risk vs the rewards. People with really large salaries typically get tasked with making these types of risk decisions. My guess -> The decision was do we protect our playbook to get a better shot at beating Florida by taking a risky approach to the game plan for the USM game? Every person would have a different reaction to this decision, but there is only one person who is responsible for this decision and one person who was paid to make this decision.

• Piedma Schwartz
      4:32 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Our defense was Swiss cheese and couldn’t make a stop. It had nothing at all to do with some kind of concerted effort to conceal our offense. Good grief!

• Bluebloodtoo
      4:34 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Not in the first half it wasn’t…..

• Kyblue34
      4:37 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

If the coaches really did limit or protect the playbook, then they should be fired immediately for stupidity. This is UK football, and we need every win we can get. We were one play away from losing to EKU last year. I guess they protected the playbook in that one too?

• Kernel Sanders
      5:06 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

Exactly what Ky blue says. If they ever admit that, they should be fired on the spot. I’m not buying it though. They are too inept to even come up with that stupid plan.

• Bluebloodtoo
      5:07 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

yes, because those NFL coaches NEVER do things to protect their playbook. No coaches ever try to game plan and think ahead or make decisions that might seem odd now, but pay off in the future. They should only think about right now, because that’s what really matters.
      It’s not like really smart people have written books about the importance of the element of surprise in war. It’s not like hiding the play you are running has anything to do with football either. Colleges don’t have three signal callers on the sideline to hide the play call or anything like that. NFL teams haven’t ever hacked into the helmet audio system of the opposing teams to steal the plays.

What rock do you people hide under all day?

• Kernel Sanders
      6:32 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

I live under the rock that says I will be fired if I don’t start winning games in year 4. I live under the rock that says not showing your playbook is a pretty stupid way to lose to an inferior opponent, and an even stupider way to try to prepare for and beat a better one

Do coaches scale back their playboy to not tip their hand to an upcoming opponent? Yes, in NFL preseason, or when the game is meaningless, or when the game is in hand, or when you’re up 30 point or down 30 points…none of those applied against USM. NOT when it’s a must win game (it kinda was), and not when the game is still up for grabs. If so, it’s a stupid plan.

13. secrick
    4:48 pm September 8, 2016 Permalink

BBT, I would love for you to be right and i hope you get to come on here MONDAY AND say i told you so. HECK I would by the beer.

14. blueballs80
    1:26 am September 9, 2016 Permalink

Same old bullshit coach speak. He is probably laughing behind the scenes.