Matt Jones Provides Play-by-Play for the UofL/Clemson Finish

The UK/Alabama postgame show came at a terrific time.  While Matt Jones was in control of the microphone at News Radio 840 WHAS, the UofL/Clemson game was coming to a close.

With a potential ACC title on the line, the Cards were down to two final plays.  Matt took Tom Leach’s hat to provide play-by-play for his listeners.  When the Cards couldn’t convert, I don’t think anyone was happier than Matt.

w

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for Matt Jones Provides Play-by-Play for the UofL/Clemson Finish

1. runningunnin.454
    10:15 pm October 3, 2016 Permalink

What’s with the hate U of L thing? I’ve been a UK fan since the ’58 championship against Seattle and the great Elgin Baylor, and I don’t have any reason to “hate” Louisville. Yeah, some of their fans come on here stirring things up, and I have fun with them, but,
    Matt came off as childish, petty, jealous, and perpetually 15 years old.
    It’s always more rewarding to root for a team than it is to root against someone.
    T minus 4 3 2 1…

• DRBO
      10:56 pm October 3, 2016 Permalink

Someone clearly doesn’t live in Louisville.

2. The Goose Is Loose
    10:19 pm October 3, 2016 Permalink

The comments on this are going to be epic.

3. lexfan
    10:54 pm October 3, 2016 Permalink

Good thing Matt had fun. Today, every sports figure including Paul Finebaum like UofL better now than Saturday. Enjoy Matt.

• KYcats11
      12:00 am October 4, 2016 Permalink

Matt is hilarious. Paul finebaum is just plain boring he puts sleep inducing pills to shame. Matt is way better than the Dan le Batard show, or any espn radio show. By the way whats louisville’s little radio show, isn’t it like the dinner show or something, whatever it’s called it’s probably worse than finebaum.

• KYcats11
      12:08 am October 4, 2016 Permalink

^^^^^^^^
      The only reason I ever tune in to finebaum is to hear tammy call in and scream her butt off. I love it when I am at a stop light, with the windows down, and she calls in. The people in the car next to me faces are absolutely hilarious.

• secrick
      8:57 am October 4, 2016 Permalink

Who cares , you got beat and thats great.

4. secrick
    8:56 am October 4, 2016 Permalink

Love it Matt , that’s the way all UK fans should feel about the Cards.

5. dshwildcats
    10:16 am October 4, 2016 Permalink

runningunnin,454,

I’ll give you the perspective of a Kentucky fan that grew up in Louisville in the ’70s and early 80s. As a kid, I cheered for both programs, football and basketball, with Kentucky being my favorite. I recall how excited I was in 1975 at the prospect of my two favorite teams having the opportunity to play for the National Championship in San Diego. Needless to say, John Wooden and UCLA ruined that dream match-up!

Louisville’s following in basketball was probably half of what it would become after the Cards won their first National Championship in 1980. And their following in football in the 70s was almost nonexistent. I attended some Louisville football games in the 70s. A very good Saturday night was 10,000 people in the stands to watch Louisville battle Drake, Wichita State, West Texas State, etc.

As Louisville’s two major programs became more successful, they began to pick up a lot of new fans on the way. And what did most of these people, who had never followed college sports, have in common? They felt the need to trash Kentucky, and the Kentucky fans that lived in Louisville. In the 70s and 80s, Kentucky fans far outnumbered Louisville fans in Louisville and Jefferson County.

Louisville fans like to talk about how arrogant and obnoxious Kentucky fans are. But those of us that have lived, or currently live, in Louisville will tell you how this is a classic example of the pot meeting the kettle. Louisville fans revel in Kentucky’s failures in athletics. I’m not sure Wisconsin fans were happier about beating Kentucky in the Final Four a couple of years ago than Louisville fans were! Lol!!

I still have family and friends that in Louisville, and they will tell you that a big segment of the Louisville fan base is as obnoxious as any fans you’ll might encounter across the country. You might not feel any hatred toward UofL and its fan base; but, they hate you and the program you support.

• runningunnin.454
      1:53 pm October 4, 2016 Permalink

Excellent explanation; think Matt runs it into the ground, though.
      That being said the 2013 banner should come down….can’t have 18 yo kids being recruited that way.
      Where I live, judging from sports apparel, it’s 99% UK; I did see a U o L sweatshirt a couple of yrs ago….I think he was from out of town.

• scorpiocard
      11:40 am October 6, 2016 Permalink

dshwildcats is a bald faced liar.

His assertion that the uk and U of L fan bases are similar is laughable. Just Google any one of a number of publications that do polls on the worst fan bases in America, and uk is in EVERYONE’S top 5. How do you explain that away dsh? The vitriol between these two fan bases did not start the way dsh describes. He is lying.It started when U of L hired Denny Crum and the uk fan base felt threatened by him. In their blind arrogance, they were “offended” when Crum refused to bow down to the superiority of mighty uk. Of course Crum came from a program far superior to anything uk has ever achieved, John Wooden’s UCLA teams. uk meant nothing to him. Of course U of L always recruited many more black players back then than uk did, and yes the racism was rampant back then. When I went to uk and tried to talk about U of L basketball, the common response was “THEY PLAY N-WORD BALL”.

Stop the lies dsh

6. dshwildcats
    2:33 pm October 4, 2016 Permalink

runningunnin.454,

I used to think the same thing about Matt, brother! But then I tried participating in a couple of sports forums/discussion boards that were a mix of Kentucky and Louisville fans. A civil discussion regarding sports was almost impossible with 90% of the Cardinal fans. You would offer your opinion on something UK-UofL, and if it differed from what they believed, many of them would go on a profanity-laced tirade about Kentucky fans just being drunk, uneducated racists.

I’ve been to PJCS a few times for the UK-UofL game, and surprisingly, I haven’t had any major problems. But, I have UK friends and acquaintances that have been that will never go back. They had food and beer thrown on them. They’ve had obscenities hurled at them from Cardinal fans from before kickoff, until the time they reached their vehicles. And worst of all, they’ve been physically threatened. Ironically enough, this is the same fan base that would tell you how obnoxious and vile the West Virginia fans were when Louisville would play in Morgantown.

There are a few Louisville fans down here where I live, and we have a good time razzing each other. But, they also don’t exhibit the hatred and venom you’ll get from a lot of the Cardinal fans that live in Louisville. If you think about it, after the basketball game this year, wander on over to Card Chronicle (their equivalent to KSR), and check out the hundreds of posts from the Cardinal faithful! The language they use to express their disdain for Kentucky, Cal, and the Kentucky fan base, would make a sailor blush! Lol!!!

• DevilMayCare
      12:22 pm October 6, 2016 Permalink

More lies from this dshwildcats. I’ve seen you post on various sports forums/discussion boards at the Courier Journal. There was NEVER any profanity laced tirades about Kentucky fans being drunk uneducated racists. I have seen you disappear from those forums because someone so my disagreed with you.

7. Rsn2GoBlu
    2:38 pm October 4, 2016 Permalink

I don’t even follow Matt’s Twitter anymore because of his infatuation with everything Louisville. As someone on the other side of 50, his Louisville obsession really comes off as an immature little baby.