Matt House named inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator

house-pitt

As expected, Matt House, a former defensive coordinator at Florida International and Pittsburgh, is the new inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator at Kentucky.

“I’m excited to work with Coach Stoops, as he has a great reputation for defense,” House said in a release from the program. “I wanted the opportunity to be at a great university that competes in the best conference in college football.”

Mark Stoops said, “I’m very excited to bring Matt into the program. He brings a wealth of experiences from the NFL and college football.  I’ve spoken before about how I like having coaches with defensive coordinator experience in the staff room and Matt has that as well.”

The release also notes D.J. Eliot will take over the outside linebackers.

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Matt House named inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator

1. david8577
    11:53 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Looks like a good hire.

2. Mathlete
    11:57 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

He’s excited to be here. BBN’s excited to have someone with experience on the staff, especially as Special Teams coordinator. I’ve had entirely too much coffee this morning. Everyone’s excited!

3. catdaddyd
    12:14 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

We now have more coaches than than players. Seems every time I log on we have a new coach.

• Mathlete
      12:51 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

You’re thinking of UK Hoops…

• runtsfan
      1:21 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

How does that apply to women’s basketball?

4. Catlogic15
    12:27 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

You mean Cincinnati didn’t have anyone available?

5. @GoCayts
    12:34 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

bio says he was a special teams assistant and strength and conditioning coach for the Carolina Panthers in 2008, also has NFL experience with the Rams

6. Souf beach Lou
    12:54 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

I really hope they get some production from special teams. Last year was ok only because it was not the disaster of the previous season (lsu, msu) but we have to get something. I hear lots of folks say UK has to do something unconventional to win in the sec, which gave rise to using the air raid, but why not focus on special teams as a facet of the game that most good teams have some weakness there to exploit. If your kentucky it gives you the best opportunity for all playmaker to be on the field at the same time from offense and defense. Kentucky can’t afford to be anything less than solid on special teams but it’s a facet of the game where the potential for exciting game changing plays are to be had. Don’t understand why stoops seems to overlook special teams. We should have a full time coach there