Matt addresses the problems in UK’s secondary

Did you miss the KSR Minute on WKYT last night? Check out the video above, in which Matt talks about UK’s thin secondary and what it may mean for UK’s chances this fall.

15 Comments for Matt addresses the problems in UK’s secondary

1. JP
    11:21 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Why is it that WKYT feels MJ, who admitted that until recently he had no understanding or even interest in football, is remotely qualified to offer any sort of position analysis? Are their sports reporters there that bad?

2. JP
    11:23 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

They should call me to do color analysis for international soccer games next year.

3. claiborne_field
    11:39 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

JP- Did you not like or agree with what MJ had to say? Do you not recognize a “minute” of quality? Do you believe he just comes up with this stuff off the top of his “unqualified” head without some preperation from himself and others. Why is it some people just feel like they have to moan about something… and, JP, why are you even on this site?

4. Ex player
    11:42 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

When it comes to football, Matt couldn’t find his [email protected] with both hands.

5. hardballer99
    12:21 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully this coaching staff can teach this group to turn around and make a play on the ball.other than Lindley that hasn’t happened for years.Stoops has a pretty good track record with dbs.Linebacker is my biggest concern.

6. Jason Costelle
    2:04 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Claiborne – I think one of the issues JP, myself and others have with Matt Jones being anointed the resident expert on UK football, or the game of football in general for that matter is two fold….

First – Jones has consistently self proclaimed his total lack of Football knowledge or any type of first hand history of the playing the game and thus understanding the nuances, and I think his analysis reflects that. It is abundantly clear to anyone with an internet connection that the UK secondary is a weakness. But there are other things to consider beyond the youth on the depth chart. A MAJOR component of the success of the secondary will be whether or not our DEnds can generate pressure on the QB. Which as we know is a historical weakness at UK(at least in the last 30 years). any discussion around success or failure of the cornerbacks has to include a DEnd discussion. that isn’t even a major naunce of the game that Jones doesn’t include in his “analysis”.

Secondly- It rubs me and others the wrong way that Jones has CONSISTENTLY expressed(until very recently) very little if any sincere interest in the football program to the point of contributing to the presumed ceiling of mediocrity. his continual pronouncements that we could never be a consistent football player in the SEC has not helped change the fans expectations or culture in the slightest. All that attitude did was contribute to the problem and blunt the possibity for success. Him becoming a football “expert” capable of expousing his wisdom upon us because he wants to cash a paycheck is laughable and insulting to UK football fans who always thought we could acheive more under the right circumstances. JMO

7. NL
    2:09 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

It is called the KSR minute. He is the head guy at KSR. He hasn’t been anointed anything. I’m sure when basketball season rolls around he will talk about that. And one minute isn’t long enough for an in depth analysis. Stop bitching

8. Linda Taylor
    2:11 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

JP – WKYT are very smart business people who want to attract Matt’s very large fan base to their channel and if you aren’t smart enough to understand that then I’m afraid there is no hope for you.

9. Jason Costelle
    2:13 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

And…”let’s hope for some success…even if it is unexpected” is analysis and addressing the problems in the UK secondary? Mention options to mask the problem with the possible strength of the Dline, not putting players on a island like the previous D Coordinator did, or Stoops relying much more on the Cover 2 or cover 3(zone coverage to dumb it down) to project the dbacks…..doesn’t take a football coach to understand these concepts but it does take someone who knows or cares about the game at least a little bit….if you’re going to have a know it all attitude you should take the minimal time to educate yourself.

10. Rei
    2:16 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Matt is too busy watching tennis to know his way around a football

11. Jason Costelle
    2:23 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Oh right…I never considered the business considerations…doesnt have anything to do with the original topic of this thread that Jones doesn’t have any business being WKYT’s resident expert on UK football.
    and a minute is plenty of time to give a decent analysis of a position and how to offset a weakness…ESPN and others that know the game do it all the time.

Jones anointes himself an expert of all things UK sports related every time he opens his mouth on his radio show and shuts down anyone that doesn’t agree with him.

12. Bucky Trout
    2:44 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

If so many people have issues w/Matt Jones, why visit his blog?

13. JP
    2:51 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Claiborne – You do realize that you posted a comment to complain about someone complaining, right?
    Despite your glaring hypocisy, it was my understanding that a comment board on the internet was a place to post all opinions and discussion, not just those that you want to hear. My personal views of Jones were not mentioned here; I’m simply stating that he has admitted himself to have little knowledge and /or interest in football and given those statements directly from him, I don’t know why WKYT would expect anyone to take his football analysis seriously. As for the reason I am on the site, I do not live in the Lexington media market and know this site to be a source of pulling information from various sources and posting here. It creates a lot of efficiency for me. Thanks for your concern.

Linda – So sorry you feel I have no hope. I fully commend Jones on his entrepreneurial endeavors with KSR and am fully aware of the reach and growth of his media outlet. However, I fail to see, with the personal disclosures that Jones had made to his audience, (of which I am a part) how his football analysis adds to the journalistic credentials of WKYT’s sports reporting. Wish I were as smart as you.

14. It's a fan site
    2:53 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Jason – Why do you bother to read something that upsets you so much. You need to go to a site that caters to experts only. The rest of us are capable of sifting out what interests us and passing on the rest without risk of a cardiac event.

15. Jason Peers
    4:18 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Never said it upset me; only pointing out what i see as inconsistencies on what is advertised as an open comment board. If you are able to sift and dismiss so easily, why did you feel the need to respond to my post? Why not simply ignore it? I’m here for mere discussion; you are apparently the one getting upset. Lets see how you reply to this.