Marrow subtweets Clinkscale for offering Dane Key at Michigan

Michigan offering a four-star, top-250 prospect in the class of 2022 is no surprise. The program offering Lexington’s own Dane Key less than three weeks after former defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale left UK for Ann Arbor, however? There’s something to that.

Friday evening, the four-star wide receiver out of Frederick Douglass High School announced he had received a scholarship offer from Michigan, two months to the day after he cut his list to ten schools: Kentucky, Arkansas, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Wisconsin, Oregon, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Virginia and Michigan State.

Not even two hours after the offer went public, UK Associate Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator Vince Marrow sent out a not-so-subtle tweet directed toward Key regarding Clinkscale and the Michigan program.

“Make sure people really like you when they offer not that they bitter then offer you,” Marrow said. “Figure it out lol. Go the real Big Blue. Ready to battle.”

The shot at Michigan comes shortly after Marrow directly called out the program on Kentucky Sports Radio, saying that while he loves Clinkscale, he firmly believes Kentucky is a better program than Michigan at this point.

“First of all, nothing against Clink, I love Clink,” Marrow said. “He’s going to Michigan. Come on, I think we’re a better program — not I think, I know we are.”

Marrow added that the proof is in the pudding with Kentucky’s recent success in the NFL Draft, specifically following the program’s six-pick draft that included a first-rounder in Jamin Davis.

“We got to a point now, it used to be people (would) say, we had no talent, no skill guys. Now that we got the type of players we want, we get (others) that we’re trying to get better,” Marrow said on KSR. “There’s been schools, I ain’t gonna say who, you guys can figure that out, certain kids in this state went other places. The other places send them stuff, these are the draft cards and showing them draft things that they’re going to be a first round pick and all that and they haven’t even had no-damn-body drafted.

“My point is like this, like you said, we ain’t ever going to take a backseat to nobody. We love what we got going on here. I think it’s just going up. Our recruiting classes are showing that. A lot of these schools are trying to take shots at us and to me, I kind of like it. Now it’s like we’re kind of on top more than them and they better keep doing it because we ain’t gonna slow down. You know me, any little angle I can get, I’m coming at them. That’s just the way I am.”

The Big Dog barks (and bites) again.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

18 Comments for Marrow subtweets Clinkscale for offering Dane Key at Michigan

1. UKgrad80
    12:07 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Love to hear the big dog bark!

2. JoeBee
    12:15 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Yes! Love it Big Dog!

3. sprtphan
    1:06 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Don’t mess with Dog.

4. Headhurts
    1:55 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Who let that Dog out! Woof, woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!

5. Boro Boy
    1:58 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Vince dont play …man speaks his mind gotta love that …love having BIG DOG on staff …he brings fire and toughness mentality

6. MississippiBlue
    2:21 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Wayyy to much barking. It’s kind of embarrassing, especially for a coach like Marrow who was looking at new job offers last summer. Of course Clink was going to offer Dane. He’s a good player. Why wouldn’t he want him at Michigan? Also, I’d love to see UK vs Michigan in all 3 major sports on the same day, but comparing UK football to Michigan football is as foolish if not more so ridiculous as comparing Mich Basketball to UK. They simply are not the same.

• ukkatzfan
      2:43 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

You sound like a Michigan troll. Too much barking ? Only embarrassing to you. I love it when he barks. It’s just a warning, cause our Big Dog bites too.

• peaches76
      2:46 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Tell em Katz! Bid Dawg guarding his yard!! If they were that high on him where was the offer before now?

• sprtphan
      4:43 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Right. Harbaugh is really killing it up there….not.

• bkeith75
      6:29 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Vince wasn’t looking for a new job last year. He was using the interest him to get a raise… just like the rest of us would do given the opportunity. To his credit, that has worked in his favor.

• Corder
      7:35 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Let’s see here. He used all of our resources to recruit this kid and now he is at another school that hasn’t put in all the time and money to recruit this kid until he got there. Why wouldn’t our coach say something about it? You obviously have never fought for anything you want in life and I guess just roll over and give up when ever somebody comes along and takes what you work for. Pathetic.

7. Memphis UK Cat
    2:36 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

A cat smack from the big dawg!

8. chrisblue
    3:39 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Agree with all of your comments except for one. Don’t take a genius to figure out what troll I disagree with. I’m glad Vince is in my backyard and not the neighbors. Not embarrassed by his comments at all. I’ll go to war with someone like him on my side anytime.

9. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:15 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

If we lose one recruit to Michigan then Barfart should just quit. The reason that OSU, Clemson, Bama, and UGA are all top schools is because they pay their coaches. Cal says he wants someone and Mitch throws money at them, Stoops has a super important piece getting tempted to leave and the dude just shrugs. Stoops is one of the highest paid coaches vs his win loss record but we won’t pay a guy who not only wins recruiting battles against Michigan and MSU for Michigan kids but also has developed one of the better secondaries.

10. Dr. Tom
    4:42 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

The Big Dog coaches at an elite institution of higher learning. His grammar is an embarrassment!!

11. GACAT
    6:14 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Let’s see some freaking wins, hell with the talk. I want 10 wins this year.
    Class of 75

12. WKY Cat
    6:50 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

It happens every time a coach goes to another staff. Why make a big deal out of it?

• Corder
      7:32 pm May 29, 2021 Permalink

Should we just sit back and take it. I’m sure kids would love to see that the staff you are being recruited by doesn’t want to fight for you to come there and just rolls over and gives in to anybody that comes along. This is the real world. Survival of the fittest.