Marquan McCall: “Y’all want us to play? PAY US!”

Kentucky nose guard Marquan McCall is making a stand for college athletes on social media.

With student-athletes pushing to profit off of their own names and likenesses, along with various states signing off on legislation to do so in the near future, the junior defensive lineman made it clear that it was time for an imminent change.

“Y’all want us to play?” McCall asked. “PAY US!!!!!!”

Not long after the initial tweet, McCall doubled down on the demand, telling his followers that student-athletes aren’t asking for much; they just want enough to justify the profit schools make off of their play each year.

“It’s literally nothing wrong with that,” McCall said.

“Y’all act like we asking for 70K,” he added, including two laughing emojis.

California, Colorado, and Florida are among the states to pass laws making it illegal for schools in those states to ban student-athletes from profiting off their names and likenesses, with Florida’s law being the first to go into effect on July 1, 2021.

The NCAA’s board of governors announced in April that it supports potential rule changes opening the door for NIL payments, but made it clear it would have to be done so safely and under specific guidelines.

Just this week, Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey told a U.S. Senate committee that such a change would need to be a uniform federal law has opposed to state-level versions with varying details and requirements.

“It would be difficult and confusing,” Sankey said, per KUSports.com. “Knowing the competition within my 11 states, I can foresee quickly the other 10 one-upping each other. And I think that’s a problem for fair and equitable competition.”

According to KUSports.com, Sankey noted that all five power conferences – the SEC, Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12 – support such a move, but feel NIL deals should not be approved during the “pre-enrollment process” and the first semester of college courses.

While we aren’t yet certain when McCall’s demands will be met, it’s fairly clear that we’re heading in that direction sooner rather than later.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

56 Comments for Marquan McCall: “Y’all want us to play? PAY US!”

1. Mc12
    2:42 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Who does he want to pay them?

• Mc12
      3:08 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I mean, I’m all for them getting paid on their name and likeness, but is that what he’s implying?

2. Dr. Tom
    2:48 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Really Jack!!

3. UKLugo
    2:59 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

He needs the NCAA as much (if not more) than the NCAA needs him. This is the case for most, student-athletes. Show a little gratitude.

• catdaddyd
      11:14 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

So if there is no football this year, does he have to pay his own tuition ?

4. pappageorgio
    3:06 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

This kid needs to check himself. It’s called a scholarship.

5. Catscats23
    3:12 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

You are already getting 70K. By the time you add up tuition (fall, spring, and summer), room and board, healthcare, meals, clothes, shoes, books, etc. I bet its real close to 70K.

6. UKFanSC
    3:43 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

How much you think his image and likeness is worth on the open market ??

• Brutal Hustler
      4:18 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

More than the $0 he’s allowed to make now

• UKFanSC
      4:20 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Debatable

• Brutal Hustler
      6:56 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Let’s debate. I say I am willing to give Bully McCall $5 to autograph a shirt. Now you debate me on how 5<0

• UKFanSC
      7:31 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

You win !!

• friendsofcoal
      2:21 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t give $5 for an autograph.

7. UK_fac_boi
    3:49 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ll give him $200 right now ?. Who’s with me?

8. UK_fac_boi
    3:50 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I forgot no emoji’s 🙁

9. UK_fac_boi
    3:50 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Wait a minute!

10. UK_fac_boi
    3:51 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

🙂 🙁 😉

11. UK_fac_boi
    3:52 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I. AM.Invincible.

12. bbn606
    4:10 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m thinking that the fans need to be paid also. We go through so much pain and suffering on some of the losses.

• east-ky-boy
      1:27 am July 5, 2020 Permalink

Lol. I’ve drove back on the mountain parkway MANY nights heading to Pikeville broken-hearted. I deserve compensated

13. CrystalBall
    4:10 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I would be more sympathetic to his cause if he was being “forced” to attend college. But he isn’t. He accepted a scholarship, and
    knew the terms when he did so. Agree that it is probably a benefit to him, and in his best interest to attend college, but he had a
    choice.

14. Jon
    4:26 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Get a degree, bubba. Then you will get a job anywhere in Kentucky if you can’t play on Sundays.

15. lizard king
    4:40 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Pay his ###, and take away all scholarships and financial aid and let them pay for their own school with what they make.
    Let them see how easy they have it then

• KayutsBy90
      4:54 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I agree with lizard king. Pay them the full amount of scholarship money in cash and let them decide if they want it to go towards tuition or not.

16. lizard king
    4:41 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Must be the newly BLM in him talking and expect the NCAA to cave to him like everyone else has.

17. T-Town Cat
    5:36 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

He should submit his name to the NFL. If they think he’s good enough, they will pay him. Or he can take his high school diploma and see what kind of high paying jobs he is qualified for.

18. UKCatAttack
    6:32 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Not a good look for him. Unfortunately his NIL value is next to none. He probably should just be happy with the free education and food. If he plays well enough the NFL might draft him in 7th round and he can try to beat out 100 other guys who want it just as bad as he does. Most likely he’s going to be falling back on that degree to find a job somewhere in the real world. If he wants to quit now I’m sure he can find a job somewhere in Lexington that will net him a solid $30K a year and if he’s lucky they might offer health insurance.

• T-Town Cat
      8:02 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, there are probably 1000’s of openings in Lexington alone for someone with a Community and Leadership Development degree.

• lgmagruder
      9:29 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Agree. I’ve just about had enough of all athlete’s demands and sense of entitlement, coach’s ridiculous salaries, and universities that have sold their souls to TV contracts and advertisers. Getting dangerously close to turning away from all athletics.

19. CrystalBall
    7:21 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

You want me to watch you play? PAY ME..

• lgmagruder
      9:33 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Perfect! My time watching you play isn’t free. Pay me!

20. kjd
    7:26 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Oh, look everybody, he’s WOKE.

21. BowdenQB4ever
    7:43 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Places like Kentucky and Tennessee that went above and beyond to placate the violent thugs in their programs during the riots are going to see a lot more of this.

22. csnailnrun
    7:46 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t followed the debate at all but I thought the three states listed made it LEGAL for payers to earn $$ off their name. No?

23. mcp157
    7:59 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

He is getting paid, room, board, food and education, which, judging from this comment he really needs!

24. UKFanSC
    8:31 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

A sign of the times…..get used to it. The “entitlement culture” is surpassed only by the “victim culture”. Both are at the core of BLM and the Democratic platform. Dilute white heritage, shame white success, redistribute white wealth, and discredit white history……make white America feel horrible about themselves….Academia, corporations, and naive millennials are more than willing to accommodate this. We live in a crazy country where police are shot for being police, statues of Washington torn from their foundations, and cities are violently assaulted by thugs while mayors applaud them.

Better wake up. We are an election away from socialist mayhem.

• TPACAT
      8:44 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

That was SO well said, UKFanSC…

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      9:40 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen people on both sides play the victim card, it isn’t just a Democrat thing.

• UKFanSC
      11:22 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

What you haven’t seen is a violent Republican takeover of a city. The burning and looting of cities by Republicans, the destruction of statues and monuments by Republicans, or a socialist platform sponsored by Republicans. To this point the radicalism on our streets is pretty leftist……. but that could change. Watch out when it does.

• mcp157
      10:33 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Not a Trump.fan, but will vote for him this November. I have voted 3rd party since 2004 due to the betrayal of no nation building by Bush. The GOP is not really conservative. You cannot call yourself a conservative unless you do not spend more than you take in and both major parties are bought/sold by corporations and do not serve the people. That being said the thought of Biden, or any Democrat, in the Oval Office is a nightmare and would be terrible for the country,

• pappageorgio
      12:58 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

Well said SC

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:58 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

Oh and they both kill babies Democrats with their abortions and Republicans with their lack of willingness for gun reform. If you make background checks universal and have connected to interpol, no fly list ect. So anyone who shouldn’t have a gun will be unable to legally get one, and then make the punishment for having a gun so severe that your only option is to help get the seller off the streets, who will be charged as an accessory to any crime that was committed with any weapons he illegally sold(something the left always wants to leave out) gun violence would drop.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      11:40 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

It’s funny the deleted my previous post. Where I basically pointed out from an independent conservative view point both sides have went to the toilet and why, and no one who runs on a party platform should be in there. Everyone in America if truly patriotic will vote independent this year because the Democrats are going overboard and the Republicans have given up on everything they stood for that actually meant anything. They’re both ruining the country in their own way.

25. bankerbh
    8:33 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Another foolish athlete who doesn’t understand the benefits he is already receiving. He is an out-of-state athlete and according to UK’s website, cost of annual attendance for this Michigan resident is expected to be $49,900. He is being paid $50,000 per year and is complaining about not earning more. One option would be to give these student athletes the option of 1) keeping their scholarship with no NIL money or 2) No scholarship but they can earn NIL money. How many autograph seekers does Marquan and others really think there are going to be to get his signature? How many of these athletes would have made any NIL money their first couple of seasons riding the bench? There are special athletes that would benefit like a Randall Cobb but I’m not sure they will all benefit to the extent they think.

26. Bluenblood
    8:54 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Preach on Bully. Glad you have a voice in this world. But be aware nobody is going to bend over a GIVE you anything just because you yell out to get paid. Life’s just not that easy. Go earn it. Become an all American. Strive to be your best and if its good enough to actually get paid then congratulations. This is the action a child might take!!!! Man up

27. millertim
    9:44 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

What does he think that full ride scholarship is worth??? He should try paying for college like the rest of us did… these guys also get a ton of extras— food allowance, clothing, etc… If the school or NCAA uses their image in any way, then yes, they should be fairly compensated but just playing a sport in college— naw, your tuition is full payment!

28. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    10:31 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

Looking at the size of that big belly of his, I’d say he is getting paid plenty….in food.

29. M.T.Pockets
    10:54 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

how much money does he think his high school made off him? none…they lost money so that he and others could play high school sports, sort of a way to bribe these kids to stay in school, and keep their grades up. without the coaching and playing experience they got in high school, no college. UK spends even more on him, food, lodging, education, health care. If he has the talent, and desire, then UK will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to
    give him a chance at a degree and to coach, and teach him the game of football. and to help him achieve the degree of physical development he will need to play at the required level. if all goes well he will have a shot at the pro’s and earn a great living. if not, he will have degree from a great university and an ability to make a living here, UK fans always love our heroes that played. if anyone owes anybody anything, I think he is the one who is in debt.

30. lizard king
    11:29 am July 4, 2020 Permalink

He has black privilege as a God gifted athlete. And now he wants paid. It’s the BLM in him talking. Can’t wait till He demands all coaches be black.

31. Wild Turkey 101
    2:36 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

McCall hasn’t seen the field enough to get paid.

32. Dr. Tom
    2:46 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

I just hope and pray there are enough voters that align themselves with the common sense thinking of UKFanSC and come out in droves this fall and preserve this country at the ballot box. I am 73 years old and really am glad I’m not 33 with the way the country is headed. What the heck has happened to the democratic party. I find myself on the opposite side with democrats on every major political issue!! These are sad times in this country when I’m on my political soap box on a supposedly sports site. I long for the day when only sports are talked about on this site but unfortunately I think those days are over. Social media, the radical left teaching from our education system, and fake news are the ruination of this wonderful country!!

33. kurofmi
    4:34 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

Please go PRO now! I cannot wait to see what your true ‘market’ value is. You typify a youngster who lets someone get into your head. I suggest that you add the risk free benefits vs potential liabilities. Another child who has no idea how the world works. No one is holding a gun to your nose. Go on….get out now and just Show Us whatcha really worth. Obtw….happy 4th to all.

34. kydrummer
    6:08 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

My company makes money based on my performance. I get paid a set salary. If the company does really really good and makes a lot money, I still get my set salary. Even though I went above and beyond to make sure the company excelled. Shouldn’t I be compensated for helping the company excelled? Just a thought …

• UKFanSC
      6:21 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

You have the ability to seek employment with another company, maybe it’s time to look for a compensation package that is better aligned with that reasoning. Great thing about America, you’re free to do whatever your talents dictate.

35. sgd
    6:40 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

They already get $5500 cash a semester to go along with the free tuition, room and board, healthcare, unlimited food. Let them have their image and likeness contracts, but the neither NCAA nor the school need to pay them to be there. Just the same old leftist idea that the worker agrees to work X amount and then they decide later that they are entitled to everything the business owner makes. BS.

36. kydrummer
    11:47 pm July 4, 2020 Permalink

As I read more on this, isn’t it about them getting paid for autograph sessions, commercials, etc?