Mark Stoops will not attend the Governor’s Cup Luncheon

(Photo by Jake Most, UK Athletics)

(Photo by Jake Most, UK Athletics)

(Photo by Jake Most, UK Athletics)

The annual Governor’s Cup Luncheon takes place Wednesday in Louisville, but apparently, only one coach will be in attendance. According to Tony Neely (via Jen Smith), Mark Stoops will not attend the Governor’s Cup Luncheon on Wednesday because he was concerned about dedicating most of his day to an event that is now at the end of the schedule. “It didn’t add up for him,” Neely said.

However, Neely said that Stoops will keep his speaking engagements at the Rotary Club on Thursday and the Greater Louisville Alumni function on Friday. Kyle Tucker followed up with Neely, who said that Stoops’ decision not to attend the luncheon “should be nothing new to the organizers. We told them months ago Stoops was not planning to attend.”

Do you agree with Stoops’ decision not to go? With the game a whopping four months away, it seems to me they should move the luncheon to later in the year as well…

74 Comments for Mark Stoops will not attend the Governor’s Cup Luncheon

1. UKBlue1!
    2:03 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Who cares about this luncheon?

2. BOOMERUOFK
    2:04 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Yes who cares, doesn’t make sense for him. Go recruit and make the team better.

3. reality
    2:06 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

since when is mark stoops bigger than tradition

• L1C6
      2:08 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Obviously, since now.

4. L1C6
    2:07 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t want to attend a luncheon with Petrino there either. No thanks. (I know that isn’t his reason for skipping it, but I’m just saying)

5. arlo
    2:09 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

good. more hate fodder for tard fans.

6. caliborne_field
    2:11 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Game is over-hyped as it is…
    I could care less about Louisville.

• CATS
      2:13 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree. We don’t have much of a shot at beating them so why go

• claiborne_field
      2:27 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

No- you misunderstand what I’m saying.
      I’m going to the game and we’ll win. I just get more out SEC games and the like instead of little brother…

• Couldn't care less
      2:46 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

• CATS
      2:50 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I like your optimism but I don’t see it. Still a huge gap in talent and depth, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

• ClintButthurt
      2:58 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

not really a huge gap in talent. small gap, not huge.

• Truth
      3:11 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Stoops couldn’t beat Petrino when he had WKU talent, but you expect him to win now that Petrino has a ton of NFL talent. Wishful thinking? I’d say so.

• reality
      3:47 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

my thoughts exactly

7. asdf
    2:13 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

It should be moved to later in the season but he should still attend no matter when it is.

8. yuck
    2:15 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t want to have lunch with a sleaze bag either

9. RC
    2:16 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Bad look for UK and Stoops. Moving the game to end of the season shouldn’t be the excuse for not attending this event. Poor decision to miss it.

10. larry kudlow
    2:17 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

skeered
    bush move

• Butthurt
      2:29 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

skeered of what? Catching Petrino’s herpes via handshake?

• larry kudlow
      2:33 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

nah, skeered of getting destroyed nov 29

• bluemanchew
      2:47 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

We got bigger fish to fry. Also isn’t the event during a recruiting period.

• CardTard
      2:53 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

pretty sure a luncheon in July has nothing to do with being “skeered” for a Nov game. If “skeered” was his reason, don’t you think he would’ve been “skeered” last year when you all had Bridgewater and an over-hyped team playing Joker’s team, rather than this year when you have much less and we have a better team than we did last year? CardTard logic. See you in Nov when we give your dirty birds a rude awakening!

• larry kudlow
      4:30 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Seriously, the only guys you have coming back are Zadarius and Dupree at the ends, you have a new O line, and a couple of decent running backs. Javess Blue, so you just double cover him. So you try to ground and pound, behind a suspect line, with weakness at linebacker and secondary. Your recruits dont even hit the depth chart for the most part. Maybe Timmons on the other side at wideout.
      You guys won’t beat Vandy, and may lose to Ohio.
      Thats another 2 win season hoss, 3 if you beat Ohio. Vandy is loaded, but with a new coach. That is the only prayer you have in the SEC.
      Petrino could pick you apart with your guys, or his guys. Run on Petrino and he will beat you by 50. Neal Brown is a joke. All talk.
      But Stoops is sooo busy-going to the rotary club and alumni lunches. Thats just bush league man.

• Wise Guy
      6:58 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Hey Larry – I’ll take the 50 and UK, what about laying $5k or so on that? i’d say the score will be more like 28-21 UofL but UKs defensive line will give the inexperienced Card O-line fits. IF…..IF…that O-line struggles early, good luck keeping a QB in the game. If that happens, I’ll take UK straight up.

11. reality
    2:18 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Petrino already hated uk… This just adds more fuel to the fire. Coach Strong saved us from embarrassment by not running up the score the past two seasons. Petrino won’t be so nice

• Butthurt
      2:28 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Will be hard to run up the score without Bridgewater.

• bluemanchew
      2:48 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I remember the last time bobby tried to run the score up his star running back got his leg broke.

• reality
      2:51 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

and he still whooped UK’s ass so whats your point?

• CardTard
      2:57 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

lol at little bro fans who think they’re team is so good. How did that undefeated season work out for you last year? And did Teddy win the Heisman and go first in the draft? My point is that you all aren’t really as good as you think you are. Better than us, slightly, but that’s not saying much.

• reality
      3:49 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

better then you slightly? Id say finishing in the top 15 two seasons in a row and winning the sugar bowl show that Louisville is not slightly better but much better than a team that hasn’t won a conference game in two years

• jimbob
      4:48 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

HAHA classic. Did you go undefeated, win the Heisman, and have your QB get picked #1 in the draft? No? Well than I guess you suck!!!

• Truth
      9:29 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

EAD and DIAF.

12. Big Blue Earl
    2:22 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree the date needs to be moved back. The only problem seems to be finding an off weekend that both teams share during the season to hold it. I don’t think there is one this season and I can’t see either coach doing it during a weekday when they are doing game week preparation. Maybe in the future, if both teams went to having a bye week before the final game, they could do it that weekend before the game. If not, it may eventually go away.

13. gordonm
    2:23 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Duh? Game scheduled for end of season, reschedule the hype for then.

14. claiborne_field
    2:26 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

No- you misunderstand.
    I’m going to the game and we’ll probably win.
    I just get more out of SEC games and the like instead of little brother…

15. Stoops Is Right
    2:28 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Who would want to sit down to a lunch with a liberal Democrat and his UL cronies. The further we can separate from UL the better. I wouldn’t expect Calipari and Pitino to sit down for lunch, why should the football coach? Stoops is right. And if you don’t like the game last on the schedule, why not drop it altogether. We don’t need UL and they don’t need us.

• Haha!
      3:23 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Turns out Stoops isn’t scared of WKU…just Bobby Petrino. Can’t even face the man that handed him his first beating.

• Tom
      5:48 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Most of the posters on here want the game dropped and Louisville is gaining nothing from the game.
      We can’t rely on WKU to roll over and play dead. All this talk about us putting on big boy pants and competing in the SEC? 0-16 over the last two years. We need to beat some one from a conference that is included in the ‘power five’ group. Is there such a team?
      Now who would that be?
      Beat Louisville and stop the sniping at them because we can’t .

16. Petrino
    2:31 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I’ll be cruising in to that luncheon on my motorcycle. Any of you cute young ladies want to catch a ride?

• bluemanchew
      2:50 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Sex offender?

17. Chattanooga Matt
    2:32 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Completely agree with Stoops decision. Why would we hype a game that doesn’t happen until November?

18. UKani
    2:54 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

If the Luncheon is supposed to be able the UK vs UofL Football game then I think they need to reschedule it for some other time. If its going to be the last game of the season then I think both teams need to figure out how to have a bye week before the game and during that bye week they can have the luncheon.

If not that, then I agree with not being there.

19. bob
    2:58 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Bad move…all the press will be there and UK will look petty!!! last game/first game…it kicks off football season. I guess UL will represent the state in football….maybe Western can take UK’s place.

• bob
      3:00 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

derp. derpa derp.

• ClintButthurt
      3:02 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Why kick off football season in July when the season is a month away? And when the game is 4 months away that makes it even more dumb. The media will be disappointed but that’s about it.

• reality
      3:52 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Western has already taking ups place as the second best team in the state

• reality
      3:52 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

*Uk’s

20. Brian
    3:11 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

What I find funny is that he does not see the point in wasting a day of his time for something that is not until the end of the seasaon because he has soooo much other preseason things to do. However, he has plenty of time to attend the golf scramble on Wednesday. Hmmmm

21. gordonm
    3:22 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Stoops doesn’t make time to talk about UL game. UL makes time to talk about UK game.

• MRob
      4:21 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

• MRob
      4:26 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I love how scared ul fans are of our football CATS right now. Be scared cause y’all are done and we are just gettin started.

• reality
      4:42 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

who’s scared?

• jimbob
      4:50 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

HAHA scared of kentucky in football. that is hilarious.

• MRob
      6:24 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

You coming over to a Kentucky website tells me all I need to know. I’ve never been on a ul site because who cares.

22. JustDoIt
    3:39 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree that Stoops could be doing better things with his time, but come on, it’s just a couple hours. I always thought of it as more than just about the game, but getting pumped for the entire season. Just the two biggest schools in the state coming together, being civil which is rare, and talking about the upcoming season. This is the perfect time to do it… before practice starts and the real work starts for the season. It makes us look bad that we’re not going to an event with the Governor that is for us. Just do it and then discuss moving or canceling it if it’s that big of a deal. First time I’ve not liked something Stoops has done:(

• gordonm
      3:51 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

It is not about a football season. It (the Governors cup) is about game at the end of the year.

• JustDoIt
      4:08 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

It’s a tradition and traditions evolve. My point is if it’s scheduled, then just go. Talk about not wanting to do it at another time. As much as I want to justify everything Stoops does, just not going seems dumb. Just my opinion though.

• gordonm
      4:37 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

11/29/2014 is the scheduled game. 11/02/2014 would be a good time to go Media hype.

• JustDoIt
      4:54 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

You obviously don’t understand my point…who cares

• gordonm
      5:36 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I do Care. Just don’t agree. I am for a UK v SEC win b4 I talk UL.

• Tom
      5:53 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Becareful! That’s Mitch’s boy. Remember when he named Joker? How about Billy G?
      Didn’t Stoops call and say he wanted the job?

Search over.

23. yojoe
    3:41 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

who cares about lucheons and uk football

24. AlreadyHadLosersLunch
    3:55 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

If Cal was the football coach we would’ve one the dang championship already!

25. NostraDanis
    4:01 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I fully support anything that irritates the Louisville media and UL fans; and obviously this does.

And, of course Bobby is available – his recruiting is done with a police scanner, not out on the road.

The clock is ticking on your relevance UL. Blow hard, while you still can (that is not a reference to either of your coach’s personal lives).

• jimbob
      4:51 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

If it’s the same clock that has been ticking towards your upcoming dominance, it seems to be broken anyway.

26. Toma
    5:33 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Gotta love the comment about Louisville not having a perfect season and Bridgewater not winning the Hiasman. Is the Louisville game important? No, neither was the Western Kentucky game last year do ya think? These two games gave us a solid hold on third place in the state in Division A football.
    Unbelieveable!
    What was the most impressive game last year of the two we won?
    Stop the silly talk about traditions. New music. Warm and fuzzy stadium.
    What happens if we would actually get a winning coach and demand exceeds out new stadium?
    I believe reducing the size of the stadium is telling us don’t expect much and again we won’t be disappointed. How many vacated seasons does the UL coach have?
    Bottom line, if you can’t beat em, ignore them.

27. 2020
    6:45 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Better to hold this luncheon in Frankfort so it’d give everyone an excuse not to go.

28. Tom Tom Cats Fan
    9:20 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Support Stoops on this one. Having a luncheon in July for a game in November when there are 11 games prior to that one.

BTW: keep chirping UL kiddos. Is going to make that last game and the next several years so sweet.

Looking forward to big George committing to UK this week. Maybe a player from another school will kill someone and then be offered a scholarship by UL. Can’t wait until Bobby turns that program into the cesspool we have always known it is.

Go Cats!

• bob
      9:40 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

LOL…Bobby owns UK…even at WKU..LOL..we won’t take a knee this year..UL 48 UK 21

29. Truth
    9:27 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

That idiot calling himself “Truth” above is not me. The talent gap has closed and we could well beat U of L. Also, this “Reality” character is a prig.

• YourTruthIsFlawed
      1:49 am July 22, 2014 Permalink

You realize you’re talking about a bunch of children that have never taken a snap, or played significant minutes in a non high-school game. Considering last years offense was only slightly better than Jokers, and the defense was actually worse, I’m gonna say Stoops is gonna need another year or two to get it together. Like your optimism though!

30. Ace
    10:49 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Come on guys, quit defending Stoops. He should go. If Petrino announced he wasn’t attending and Stoops was, you would hammer Petrino about it and make several jokes about why he wasn’t there. It’s a bad PR move by Stoops.

Oh, on another subject, UK has no chance to beat Louisville…