Mark Stoops the second betting favorite for Florida State job

Of course there are already odds on who will be Florida State’s new head coach. Following the Seminoles’ firing of Willie Taggart yesterday, BetOnline.Ag put together a list of the coaches most likely to take over in Tallahassee. Kentucky’s Mark Stoops is the second betting favorite at 4-1 behind Iowa State’s Matt Campbell.

Matt Campbell +300
Mark Stoops +400
Bob Stoops +500
James Franklin +500
P.J. Fleck +600
Urban Meyer +600
Josh Heupel +700
Dino Babers +1000
Matt Rhule +1000
Jimbo Fisher +1500
Jim Harbaugh +2000
Bobby Bowden +5000

Matt will discuss what he’s heard about Stoops and the Florida State job on today’s show, so make sure to fire up that radio or streaming device at 10:00 a.m.

14 Comments for Mark Stoops the second betting favorite for Florida State job

1. Catcasey1
    9:44 am November 4, 2019 Permalink

He’s not going anywhere

• kybigblue
      12:10 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I think FSU will hire a head coach with a winning record. Plus, Stoops has only won more than 7 games once in six previous years at UK. Taggart was the first FSU coach in 36 years not to get FSU to a bowl game. FSU has three national championships so two years below .500 is not acceptable.Of course, getting to a bowl is easier than getting to the NCAA basketball tournament. Approx. 60% of the 130 football teams in Div. ! get to a bowl game. Job security is better at UK.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      12:30 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Let’s not forget our history. We were in horrible shape after Joker left. Worst shape I have seen since I have been watching since the 70’s. They like Stoops, he has proven himself as a rebuilder in a place where most say it can’t be done. We would be top 25 without injuries I am completely convinced, most have us in the top 45 now. I say Mitch, get the checkbook out as I see something at Kentucky I have never seen in my lifetime.

• kybigblue
      1:03 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I was looking at it from FSU’s perspective. Not sure how Taggart couldn’t win at FSU. If a coach of any sport, softball,golf, etc at FSU or UF doesn’t have a winning record something is wrong. Fl is the 3rd largest state with a ton of HS talent. One Fl. high school had 15+ former players in the NFL at one time. Even Bear Bryant warned about Fl because of it’s population growth.
      Stoops had a mess on his hands when he arrived at UK and has made UK competitive. UK has spent a lot getting UK football to where it is now. Will it ever make it to the SEC Championship is now the question.

• jaws2
      3:43 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Easy, the guy can’t coach. He got the job by doing nothing.

2. UKfanforlife
    10:12 am November 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know Coach Stoops, personally, so I don’t know what he will do. My guess is that he will stay at UK, because the AD gave him time to build the program. He has job security as long at he stays around 7 to 8 wins and has a big year on occasion. I do believe the Cats would have at least 2 more wins, currently, if Terry Wilson had not been injured. Am disappointed with the season, because it could have been much more successful. But, this season could be viewed as the best coaching by Stoops and staff, considering what they had to go through, with young personnel on D and having to resort to the 5th option at QB.

Just like Charlie Strong making a mistake to take the Texas job for the short term money and prestige, I do think the FSU job would be a mistake for Stoops. If he doesn’t win fast enough, he would get fired,and then be damaged goods. Even though FSU is not Texas, I would think that they would still have a much higher bar for results than Kentucky has, given their history.

Should Stoops leave, which I don’t see happening, Kentucky would be able to hire a proven coach from a lesser league and not have to take a chance on an unproven commodity. The facilities have been upgraded and the there is a solid foundation of talent. Kentucky fans can thank Stoops and staff for bringing winning back to the program. Kentucky is a middle of the pack program. Can they take the next step and move to the top tier? I don’t know. There is unfinished business here at Kentucky and Stoops has more to prove. If they win out, they can go 8-4, making the best of things after they had planned on the offense taking the load off the shoulders of the young defense, this season.

Stoops won’t get Coach of the Year in the SEC this year, not enough wins in the book. That being said, if they win out, the rest of the way, Stoops will be my choice for COY.

3. RackEmWillie
    10:38 am November 4, 2019 Permalink

There sure are a lot of UK fans who are extremely confident that UK won’t get their coach hired away by Florida State. In football.

I’m not saying he leaves, but the sheer volume of people who are so casual and cavalier about Stoops leaving, is crazy to me. Florida State is less than a decade removed from a national championship that was sandwiched between a BCS bowl victory and a national playoff appearance. That same stretch UK won 9 games, combined. That UK era is seemingly gone, as it that stretch for FSU. But, if you’re objective, what’s more likely to happen? UK falls back closer to that level, or FSU regains their historical form?

Every coach says they want to be someone who starts their own legacy and all of that stuff, but yet, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Ohio State and other traditional school have no problems finding good coaches.

I don’t know if he stays or leaves. I’ve had and continue to have my issue with Stoops and his in-game decision making. But he won 10 games at UK, and his players overwhelmingly love him and would fight for him every game, and that’s good enough for me. However, I wouldn’t act like Stoops was the biggest traitor in the world if he took the FSU job. Because I get it. A vast majority of people would make a similar decision if given that choice.

And if he leaves, I’d be forever grateful for the memories he helped bring about. Because there have definitely been some fun times.

4. Papaw
    10:47 am November 4, 2019 Permalink

There’s still recruiting to be done. If he has no desire to leave UK he owes it to his players and recruits to come out and say so

5. ziplock
    10:53 am November 4, 2019 Permalink

If he leaves we should try to keep Coach Morrow but if not Taggert is a excellent choice. He wasn’t given enough time at FSU. Remember when Taggert beat UK in 2012? He then went to South Florida and took them from 2-10 to 10-2 in 4 years, Andrew Jackson of WKU, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMyRhJntrw

6. TOMCATS1990
    1:44 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Jason Campbell Toledo
    PJ Fleck Minnesota
    Neil Brown WVA
    All 3 young up and coming coaches that I think KY could possibly get if Stoops left.

7. BBNBRIAN
    4:43 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Saying Stoops won’t leave UK for the FSU in football is like saying Cal wouldn’t leave Memphis for UK in basketball. FSU is in an entirely different class than UK in football. I would say good riddance and bring in a young coach that isn’t afraid to air it out.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    1:55 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I need a post on Joey Gatewood (the Auburn QB who is leaving). The guys were saying this morning he’s considering UK.