Mark Stoops speaks out on George Floyd protests

Not long after UK men’s basketball coach John Calipari took to Twitter to address the events that have transpired nationally in recent days, Kentucky football head coach Mark Stoops went out of his way to do the same.

After the killing of George Floyd in Minnesota, Stoops said he is “deeply hurt” by the injustices we see in the United States and urged people to come together.

“As so many of us have seen and felt, I deeply hurt for the injustice we have in our country,” Stoops said in a statement on Twitter. “We must find a way to treat each other the way we want to be treated, with unity and respect. As a nation, we must overcome it. And we must begin now.”

Calipari released a similar statement, adding that he was “sick” and talked with his team about the events in an effort to establish an open dialogue about these issues.

“Like many of you, I’ve been watching what’s been going on the last couple of days and have had some time to think about it and pray about it. All I can tell you is I’m sick,” Calipari said. “Whether you’re talking George Floyd or a number of other incidents that have happened in our country and in our backyard, I’m sick because I cannot believe one human being could treat another human being the way we’ve seen with some of these injustices.

“I don’t have all the answers. I wish I had some way to bring everyone together. But I do have one thought: It is wrong, it is unacceptable, and I am horrified by what I have seen. This cannot continue. I addressed it with our team this evening. I want to keep that conversation private, but what I will say is we need to have an open dialogue and conversation about these issues. The only way we can move forward as a nation is to be open and honest with ourselves.”

Floyd’s death, along with other recent injustices, have sparked protests throughout parts of the nation, including the city of Louisville.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

35 Comments for Mark Stoops speaks out on George Floyd protests

1. Swizzle
    10:04 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

If you loot and riot, you’re a criminal not a protester.

• Rocket868
      11:03 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Easy for you to say from behind a computer

• Catscats23
      12:29 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

What does typing on a computer have to do with what he said? He his correct. They are breaking the law and should be arrested immediately.

• Bluehender
      2:38 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

I don’t agree with looting. But let’s be real here..peaceful protests don’t get anyone’s attention. So it sometimes is necessary to get rowdy, throw a chair, ala Bob Knight…turn over a car, smash a window, set a building on fire. People of authority will then take notice. What they did to that guy in Minnesota was wrong, was clearly murder. What they did in Louisville was wrong. Sometimes people have to take a stand.

• Swizzle
      3:48 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

Deaths by police, 55% white, 29% black, 16 % Hispanic. Let the media drive whatever they want. You are a criminal if you loot and riot. Tear gas, rubber bullets and time in jail for anyone that does it.

• njcat
      9:45 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

So let me get this straight… you think police treat white people the same as African Americans? Really?

You’ve never walked in a black man’s shoes, so you do not have the prospective to way in on this.

• Bluehender
      8:36 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

If you kneel on someone’s neck until they die you are a criminal also. A murderer…

2. Headhurts
    10:14 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Guess our taxes will need to be raised to help pay for the destruction, the poor just got poorer.

3. madarchitect
    10:27 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Taxes could also be raised to assist in paying all of the civil lawsuits resulting from police brutality. We are all in this together and the only solution is to hold those abusing power accountable. It’s times like these when people need to take the highroad. The previous comments not only show a lack of empathy, but also make it evident that those posting are not in a position to have experienced racially motivated police brutality.

• Southky
      10:59 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Madarchitect the cop should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This is not a question. It sounds as though you are giving a pass to the thugs that are burning down Minneapolis and stealing everything in sight. We supposedly live in a civilized country with laws. That is supposed to mean ALL who break the law will be punished. The black community had a wonderful opportunity to finally have everyone listen to them and get real reform but these hoodlums [email protected]#ed it away with their thuggery .

• njcat
      9:36 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

‘Thug’ is the politically correct N word.

Just thought you might like to know…

• friendsofcoal
      1:16 am May 31, 2020 Permalink

I know quiet a few white thugs.

• Catscats23
      12:32 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

SouthKy just said it best! 100% agree

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      1:38 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

So, the discussion here centers around the riots. Of course it does. Not one single comment addressing the matter at hand – Racist Police Brutality. George Floyd was callously MURDERED for potentially passing counterfeit bills (remember, he wasn’t convicted). It is sickening, just as Breonna Taylor’s murder (shot in her own bed, in her own apartment by Louisville Police) is sickening. If you find yourself attempting to justify either incident – stop.

Looters & theives should certainly be prosectued, they are breaking the law. But, your words let everyone know where you stand with regards to the Black Community:

“these hoodlums [email protected]#ed it away with their thuggery”

People don’t use those words with people they respect.

I’ll tell you this, if my son loses his life in the same manner…. God have mercy on whoever gets in my way.

• Corder
      9:18 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

The man was charged. Y’all got what y’all wanted I’m not sure what else they can do except wait for his trial and verdict. What more do you want? You want them to publicly excite the man? Would that help y’all sleep at night?

4. Headhurts
    10:40 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

MLK believed in peaceful protest not destruction, no real leaders here just a bunch hoodlums.

• Rocket868
      11:06 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

What do you know about MLK? He also said later on in his life “I feel as if I have integrated my people into a burning house”. Before you respond look it up and understand the context of why he said that, before I intellectually crush you and make you rethink your life choices.

• JoeMoney333
      12:21 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

Comment rating:
      First half really solid rebuttal,
      Second half really lost control. Sounds like a angry 14 yr. old boy

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      1:42 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

@ JoeMoney333, correct. However, there were certainly leaders taking part… otherwise, an officer in Louisville would’ve been in big trouble (separated from his squad, but surrounded & protected by a group of protesters). All it takes is a single flame to start a fire, that shouldn’t be a reflection on the thousands who didn’t light it.

5. Headhurts
    11:47 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Lol idiot ^^

6. crazycatfan65
    12:57 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

The graph on this shows the REAL injustices. Police aren’t just killing black Americans, they are killing white Americans at almost twice the rate but THE MEDIA REFUSES TO REPORT THE DEATH OF WHITES LIKE THEY DO BLACKS. WHY IS THIS? Why doesn’t the race baiting media report the deaths of white Americans like they do black Americans at the hands of police? Why does the media turn a blind eye to the hourly killings of black Americans by their fellow black Americans on a hourly basis is cities like Chicago, Baltimore etc.?

• WildcatCam
      11:49 pm May 31, 2020 Permalink

Do you know how to read a chart? Your math is off!

7. King_tucky
    3:10 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

I just dont understand destroying your own communities. I seen where a place was destroyed that Floyd visited regularly n ran by the black community. How is that justified? Its Hurting the ones who are fighting a real cause. Its selfish to use a real issue to loot and benefit yourself by looting n destroying. The community has been attacked twice this week, once by the system, the Law, with the Floyd killing and again by the punks who used it to self gain. Everyone is offended to the point you cant say a dam thing, even in support or you might be labeled racist. Too many good people caught inbetween the radicals on each end that drowns out the support and the voice of those rightfully hurt. I might not understand cause I aint lived in those shoes, doesnt mean i dont have a right to be concerned n have a right to support the healing needed in this country.

• Bluehender
      3:32 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

King_Tuck, there is definitely a lot of healing needed in this country. I don’t think it’s ever been more split in my 63 years of living. No one wants to meet in the middle. We have to be able to compromise or we are doomed.

• tdub
      7:30 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

100% agree, Bh

8. ukbradstith
    3:34 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

If you watched any of the local Louisville newscasts, live, you’d know that the teens/young adults came only to smash and grab. Plenty of laughing, putting on for the camera, not a moment of a chant or protest. Totally ignoring the wishes of the family. The little white kid with the hammer in his backpack that they followed around was only there to bust out windows since he knew the police wouldn’t stop him. Stealing the phones from T mobile and posing for pictures in front is a great way to honor Ms. Taylor.

9. Southky
    4:14 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

Irwin R. Fletcher I watched it on TV. There where black, white and Latinos destroying and robbing. I think you are a race baiter. I said nothing solely about the black community. Racism exists in all races my friend. The thugs where from all ethnicities. It had nothing to do with “protesting.” And you are correct, I have no respect for things of ANY color.

10. Southky
    4:18 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

Thigs

11. Southky
    4:18 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

Thugs

12. Bluehender
    8:32 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

You’re a criminal if you kneel on someone’s neck until they die also..

• Bluehender
      8:33 pm May 30, 2020 Permalink

This comment meant for the swizzler above….

13. Park
    12:52 am May 31, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes watching events transpire in this country (and comment sections for that matter), I can’t help but feel like I’m viewing a Jerry Springer show. I think we’re all doomed. Everyone is right and everyone else is wrong. Forgive them, they know not what they do…

• friendsofcoal
      1:21 am May 31, 2020 Permalink

Shut the news media down for 6 months and watch this country unite! I cannot watch any of the major news outlets anymore myself.

• WildcatCam
      11:52 pm May 31, 2020 Permalink

So friendsofcoal, the young lady 17 year old that filmed Floyd’s death posted it on social media. We don’t need the regular media, the social media platform is where bigotry of all kinds get exposed brother!

• friendsofcoal