Stoops on Mitch Barnhart saying no to public alcohol sales at Kroger Field

As expected, Mark Stoops was asked about Mitch Barnhart’s decision to not allow public alcohol sales at Kroger Field this fall. Also as expected, Stoops didn’t address the issue directly, but said he knows the decision was a delicate one for Barnhart and UK President Eli Capilouto to make following the tragic death of Marco Shemwell outside the stadium last fall.

“The only thing I’ll say is I have great confidence in the leadership in Dr. Capilouto, Mitch Barnhart in their decisions. It’s above my pay grade so I don’t put a lot of thought into that because it’s just not my job but I trust them. I believe in their leadership and those are hard decisions. I think there are strong opinions on both sides and they obviously put a lot of thought into it and there’s a lot for them to consider.

“I know — I’ll just say it’s just hard. I know going to that funeral a year ago was very difficult for me and our team as well. Anything that revolved around the game, drinking, and have an accident like that was very heartfelt for me personally and the team. But Mitch and Dr. Capilouto I have a lot of confidence in and I’m sure they thought things through and are doing the very best they can. I know that.”

Stoops added that he hopes fans don’t use the decision as an excuse not to come to games because the team needs their support.

“I can promise you that – I don’t want any reason or any excuse for there not be a fantastic atmosphere right out here in the stadium at Kroger Field here this year. We have a very good football team that’s worked very hard and I’m proud of the work that we’ve done to this point. I’m very excited about the future and greatly appreciate the fan support. We truly have the best fans in the country and there’s nothing better than when we walk out there and see that full stadium and we need it that way every week. That’s my plea to the fans. We need that. It takes all of us all the time. We need that support. We need that place rocking. It makes a difference. It makes a difference with recruiting, it makes a difference with our team and we’re all a part of that.”

[mobile_ad]

11 Comments for Stoops on Mitch Barnhart saying no to public alcohol sales at Kroger Field

1. krautdog
    10:30 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Well said, as expected!

2. UKfansNKY
    10:45 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

GREAT CHOICE!!

3. Headhurts
    11:02 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Cheers to that.

4. BlueBanker18
    11:35 am August 2, 2019 Permalink

Let’s go at least a year without killing a kid before making alcohol available to the masses. UK admin can’t put it that bluntly, but there’s a clear connection between what happened last year and the recent decision.

• BBNDan7
      6:37 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

The alcohol the UNDERAGE kid got, wasn’t sold inside the stadium. Using a child’s death like this is gross

• StuckinLville
      9:47 am August 3, 2019 Permalink

Youe statement makes no sense. You are actin like someone is killed every year. And as the other person said, kid was underage and drinking with his frat. I think you forgetting how people get hammered outside then come in being a nuisance. Obviously Mitch has never sit in the stands or he’d have known. Studies show sales at an event decrease binge drinking and accidents, but UK is soundin like the NCAA right now, ignoring facts.

5. jetatl
    12:07 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

Either sell it to everyone or no one.

• CatstopWontstop
      1:48 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

Here here. Also:

I know it’s a figure of speech, but Stoops makes $4,000,000/year which is almost double Barnhart ($925,000) and Capilouto ($1.5 mil) so maybe it’s below your pay grade lol.

6. sincitycat
    12:30 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

jetat: Yes, that is the only fair way to go.

7. njcat54
    2:18 pm August 2, 2019 Permalink

There will be more fans in the stands if they sell alcohol. If he wants the stadium full he should fight for things that help achieve that and not just toe the company line. No decision this big should ever be made based on a single outlying event. That’s managing scared and will hurt your product.