Mark Stoops on his decision not to start Kash Daniel

Senior linebacker Kash Daniel did not start vs. Mississippi State, nor did he represent the squad as team captain, a decision Mark Stoops told reporters he came to after watching the second angle of the incident vs. Florida, which showed Kash grabbing and twisting Gators quarterback Kyle Trask’s ankle as he got up from a dog pile.

“With Kash’s situation, after that second viewing came out and looking at that again — because obviously that was a little different viewing. We all felt, I just talked to Kash — and myself and Kash, we have a great respect for this game and we’re going to honor the game and do things as good as we possibly can. That was 100% my call to not have him be a captain and not have him play to start the game.

“I know you’re going to open yourself up to more or less or anything else but the way we’re going to try to do things right. We’re not perfect. We try to respect the game. Our players are going to respect the game and respect people and compete. It’s an emotional game, so I’d like to just leave it at that.”

On Wednesday night, Kash vehemently denied committing a dirty play, claiming that he was instead trying to free his hand from the pile. On Thursday after practice, Stoops told reporters Kash would play vs. Mississippi State, but admitted tonight that at the time, he was still considering a punishment.

“I said he’d be out there. I was still mulling through everything at that point and thinking and talking to Kash and working my way through it.”

30 Comments for Mark Stoops on his decision not to start Kash Daniel

1. 4everUKblue
    8:40 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ll ask again. Would anyone be upset if it had been Christian Laettner’s ankle he was twisting? Just curious.

• timbo
      10:21 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

If your barometer wasn’t set by the same human ignorance that would twist ankles to hurt people in a dog pile, then yes. To appeal to that same selfish sense of injustice/“justice” by pretending the victim is someone else is a straw man argument and more of the same deflection. Wrong is wrong. If you can’t have a moral and ethical barometer that is unchanging then there is no true sense of right or wrong and we come her to discuss straw men arguments rather than the actual morality or ethics of what occurred.

• 4everUKblue
      11:12 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Lol!

• 4everUKblue
      11:12 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Love your sense of humor there Timbob.

• Rixter
      11:29 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

WHY would Kash Daniel have a hold on Christian Laettner’s ankle???? That’s a weird scenario. What if he was twisting Judy Garland’s ankle?

• 4everUKblue
      11:48 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Lol. It was just a hypothetical. What if he had hold of Timbo’s ankle?

• Skooms
      9:22 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

I would be fine with Judy Garland because Florida’s team would have disappeared to Kansas. Lol, no seriously it’s not a good move no matter whom was the recipient.

2. michaelb
    8:41 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Would love to never talk about this subject again from here on out

3. KYJelly
    8:44 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

So basically … he did do it

4. beauleonard
    8:48 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

The fans respect W’s, period. I’m sure there will be opposition to that comment. However, IDGAF! Coach, your team wasn’t ready to play this game. You took the emotional leader of the defense and sat his ass on the bench. I’m tired of excuses regarding L’ taken that should have been check marks in the W column. The days of moral victories are over. STFU and win the games we all know you are supposed to win. The expectations grow with your salary, Dude!

5. Kentuckiana
    8:55 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

It Was Obvious

6. RAGE
    9:00 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I def respect Coach Stoops decision on this… Just because I mentioned Stoops doing this exact thing I was told that I wasn’t even a true UK fan and a troll… But I think Coach Stoops made the right call and we were flat today but it wasn’t cause Kash started the game on the bench… These type of plays do happen and even a lot worse in dog piles but my only thought was when you get caught red handed just fess up and take your punishment… I think with a lot of parents to future recruits Coach Dtiips probably earned points with them today… The team will be alright hopefully we just get it back on track and keep going

7. RAGE
    9:02 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

I meant Coach Stoops I don’t know what I typed.. man I messed that up bad.. better correct it before the grammar police arrive!!!!

8. Hal Chidick
    9:11 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Stoops made the right call.

9. MtnCat
    9:27 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Coach Stoops is an upright leader of men and it shows in recruiting, player development, and over all program. I’m honored that he is at Kentucky and wish him the brightest of futures. I’ll stand by his word.

10. chas420
    9:57 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Definitely really bad for kash. Dirty player and then a liar!! Lost all respect

11. Bluebloodtoo
    10:04 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

Everyone makes bad decisions. It’s the ones who learn from them and become better people that end up succeeding.

12. mashburnfan1
    10:07 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

1st half was what I expected based on last year and the UT game after the UGA game. At least this year we showed fight and played the 2nd half. Love Kash but lost my respect for the lie. Things happen in battle and he made a wrong decision, man up and own it but no he lied to all. I know that is the world today, don’t accept responsibility for anything you do but thought he may be above that. Him not starting is not a big deal, he is not one of the best 3 LB’s on our team anyways {talent wise}. Also don’t want him as a captain, lost that right. All those TW haters saying he did not win us games like I said in part you were right but he also did not contribute to losing us games. The pick 6 and fumble were killers as was last weeks 3 turnovers but especially the fumble and the pick while we were driving to start the 2nd half. Still have faith, hoping for 9 wins {counting Bowl} as no way we beat UGA and Mizzou game looking bad the way we let QB’s run. This team is capable, please shake this off before the USC game, PLEASE. Last year our drought almost cost us the Vandy game at home, lets get on track and be that 1st 3 quarters vs UF team all year.

13. UKCatAttack
    10:12 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

If he did it he should have been suspended for the entire game. If he didn’t do it he should’ve played the whole game. Stoops got it wrong.

14. BluKudzu
    11:00 pm September 21, 2019 Permalink

We lost. Better hope this team makes it to 5-6 before we have to play Louisville.

15. makeitstop
    5:29 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Btw what about Stoops on the decision not to go for 4th and 5 from the 10 w 4 minutes left? We weren’t getting any closer than that. I’m sure he had a reason but I can’t imagine what it was, still left us down 8. Had he seen enough of Smith, and was hoping for a punt return miracle? Or had no play for 4th and 5? Seriously I thought that was inexplicable, especially given how we were playing on offense.

• KYjellyRoll
      10:25 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Agreed! That missed fg was basically the end. “Could” have had 8…just makes you wonder. We were actually decent on 4th down yesterday maybe even 2/2? Until that point?

16. bbn606
    7:32 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Stick a fork in Trash, he’s done.

17. UKFanSC
    8:04 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

It would appear the Kentucky coaching staff has exposed Daniels as someone who is a dirty player. They apparently looked at the film from the Florida game and came to the same conclusion most people did when they saw it, he was trying to deliberately twist the ankle of an opposing player. Save that crap for your wrestling career Kash

18. bd2153
    9:01 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Did he play. Oh yes I remember watching rerunning back go by him.

19. Skooms
    9:26 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

I do have to say, Kash looked like his head was never in that game. He reminded me of Adam Sandler on Click when he pressed fast forward. He would go into kind of a drone mode.

20. dukeisking
    9:39 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Dirty player = Kash Daniel

21. bluecat15
    10:32 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Kash is to slow for pass protection. Our secondary is terrible and he can’t help with that. Team was not prepared and was out played, out coached and out hustled

22. Dairy Queen All American
    10:35 am September 22, 2019 Permalink

Weak move by the coaching staff to do this quietly. They caved to media pressure. It’s a poor decision to not have a captain’s back, no wonder the defense looked awful yesterday. South Carolina is now a must win game.