Mark Stoops on football fan support

Mark Stoops discussed a number of topics at today’s football luncheon in Louisville (although nothing was all that newsworthy) and increased fan support for the program is one of the things he addressed. Stoops, who often gives praise to Big Blue Nation, said it has been “fantastic”:

Yeah, I was so pleasantly surprised with that passionate fan base. I knew we had good fans, just by the numbers, if you look at the history of attendance. But to feel that energy and feel that passion since we’ve been here, it’s been fantastic. And you all know that. I think local media get a good feel for that. Sometimes national media doesn’t get the fact that we have great fan support and how passionate the Big Blue Nation is. Basketball, I get asked that question all the time, but they deserve that. We embrace that. They deserve the attention they’ve gotten. They’ve been good for a long, long time. How many years? A hundred years? I don’t know. A long time. But anyway, we feel very good about the support. That’s evident by the attendance, by the support of people and by the way people are making donations to improve our facilities.

Stoops also said he embraces the occasional basketball question, but one would assume it must get annoying at times. One of the first questions at SEC Media Day last week was about UK being a basketball school, to which he also said, “We embrace it.”

Soon we’ll all be in Commonwealth Stadium, embracing Stoops and his Wildcats on the field.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Mark Stoops on football fan support

1. gordonm
    5:05 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Last of the quoted Stoops comment:

by the way people are making donations to improve our facilities.

2. Tom
    5:30 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Heck, I’ll be there. I haven’t seen an OVC team play since I graduated from Morehead in 1970.

The game against Tennessee Martin should tell us just how much we’ve improved, Isn’t that why we insisted on moving the Louisville game till the third game of the season in Lexington?

I think Saragin Rankings had us somewhere around, well way above 50, but with wins over Tennessee Martin and possibly over a MAC power house, Ohio, we might get into theh igh forties. Hallaluah!

These openers can be tricky.
    Mitch did a great job getting us an opening win. Guess Centre wasn’t available.

• Tom
      5:40 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

how far is ‘way about 50’?
      Try 104, ,
      Of course that’s based on last season, but hey. it’s a short jump from there to 50.
      You gotta believe!

3. Tom
    5:43 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Sorry but I need to ask.
    If we have such great fan support why exactly are we downsizing the stadium?
    Seems we would do just the opposite to fill the needs of all the new season ticket holders.
    No one has yet questioned Mitch on his football think so after all these successful season, we certainly won’t now.

• gordonm
      6:45 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Tom, if your name was Jane: in the (immoral) words of a SNL great; you ignorant slut!

4. Bob Petrino
    5:55 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Tom, get off here and wash my Harley. Gotta date, get with it boy.

5. Tom
    6:38 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Funny
    Thank you for thinking I’m the same guy who took a bunch of players no one in the SEC thought could play and beat our new head coach.
    Not every SEC quality coach, hey, ain’t that why we hired him, lose his opening game to a former member of the OVC.

• gordonm
      7:01 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

I was following your thought until I got to your 3rd sentence in your comment. (I gave you credit for the word “Funny” being sentence)

• Tom
      7:34 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

gordonm you just hear to critize others or to tell us what you think about Kentucky football,. I’m always interest other points of view but bashing other posters puts you in a special catagory.
      So – tell us.

6. Tom
    7:37 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

I misspelled here so you can come back with another zinger.
    I anxiously await see you knowledge of football.

7. red headed stepchild
    7:39 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Why do you troll? Is your wienersnitzel that small?

8. Rei
    9:17 pm July 25, 2014 Permalink

Guess we can all bet Tom isn’t getting laid tonight.

9. Tom
    8:59 am July 26, 2014 Permalink

Good come backs.
    Nothing to do with disputing my comments, just attempts to be funny.
    Keep it up.
    It shows your age.

10. Tom's Boss at McDonalds
    5:21 pm July 27, 2014 Permalink

Sorry about Tom fellas. He gets a little fired up when he doesn’t get overtime hours flippin’ burgers up here. We, as 2 of the 26 Louisville fans, are just tired of being upstaged by the bigger fan base, head to head win pct in every sport, and we are having a nice little 3 year run in football (but we also know that we might win this year for the last time in a while) so we are making the most of it. You see, we know we have zero shot at beating UK in basketball (women’s and especially men’s) and the only thing keeping Tom from beating his plus size girlfriend is holding on to Chawlie Strong and insisting we aren’t a stepping stone school.