Mark Stoops Names Terry Wilson Starting Quarterback

When Kentucky opens the season Saturday against Central Michigan, Terry Wilson will be the first to take snaps under center.  Mark Stoops announced Wilson beat out redshirt sophomore Gunnar Hoak to win the preseason quarterback competition.

“Terry Wilson will open up game one as the starter. He’s won the quarterback battle. It’s been an ongoing battle, as you know. I have great respect for all our quarterbacks. I feel like we have a great quarterback room. The other quarterbacks with Gunnar and Danny, in particular, they’ve put up a great fight and they’ve done a lot of things in a lot of ways to win the job as well. Ultimately, with all the things that we looked at, we decided on Terry and we’re excited about Terry and what he’s going to do this week.

“I want to thank all those guys. Those guys have been unbelievable teammates and unbelievable competitors. That’s where it stands right now.”

Neither Wilson or Hoak have played in an SEC football game. Following the spring game, Stoops said he would consider playing both quarterbacks in the season-opener against Central Michigan.  As of today, he’s unsure if Hoak will play Saturday.

“I don’t know. I don’t know how that’s going to play out,” Stoops said. “I cannot say that right now or to them. Those players understand that. I’d like both guys to play. I think both guys have earned the right to play, but you understand, and I understand, and they understand that’s sometimes not a possibility, so we’ll see. I’ve also been very loyal to the starting quarterbacks here and they have not been on a short leash. We’ve been very supportive of that. If it comes to a point where you absolutely have to make a change, we’ll take another look. I want to be loyal to the starting quarterback and give him every opportunity and not have him looking over his shoulder as well.”

Terry Touchdown arrived on campus in January after choosing Kentucky over Florida and Nebraska.  Considered the top-ranked junior college quarterback by ESPN, Wilson threw for 2,113 yards with 26 touchdowns at Garden City Community College.  He started his college career at Oregon and has three years of eligibility remaining.

With Wilson leading Kentucky’s offense, expect to see Eddie Gran’s offense rely heavily on the run-pass option.  If Wilson is as fast as C.J. Conrad says, UK’s RPO-attack has the potential to be extremely entertaining this fall.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

39 Comments for Mark Stoops Names Terry Wilson Starting Quarterback

1. StuckinLville
    12:12 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Well I guess Gunnar will be transferring at any time.

• ClutchCargo
      1:13 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Why? Every SEC football team has capable backups who all believe they are good enough to start, yet they don’t all transfer.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:27 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Some people pout when they don’t get their way.

2. RackEmWillie
    12:15 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Well, that’s not entirely surprising. Although I’d really like to see what Hoak can do on Saturday.

3. iam4thecats
    12:21 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Nick, Rpo’s have nothing to do with speed. Most teams who make extensive use of rpo’s have qb’s who can’t run or they don’t want them to run.

• satcheluk
      12:45 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

That’s an ignorant statement. If you have a QB who can’t run running RPO, then it makes it easier to defend. You would just force him run and his lack of speed would make it easier to contain him. If you have a true dual threat QB, then that is what gives the defense fits because you can’t guard every option. I would argue the running part is more important than the passing part of the RPO because a good runner forces the D to stack the box and even an avg passer can beat 1 on 1 D most of the time.

• NotTheRealTurkeyHunter
      12:52 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

RPO’s are definitely more effective with a mobile QB. It isn’t REQUIRED by any means to have a speedy guy there, but if you have a guy who can make the handoff, throw, OR run, then that’s just one more option the defense has to cover. Also, Go Cats!

• TWhite
      1:02 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Those saying that you need a mobile QB to run an RPO don’t understand the RPO. Very rarely does Kentucky run a true triple option RPO. The RPO is hand it to Benny, or throw a quick pass behind him if the LB’s bite up, or just a pre snap read depending on leverage or player in the box. Don’t confuse and RPO with a read option. Completely different plays.

• PillsburyThrowboy
      1:26 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

There is a difference between a read option and a run-pass option.

• maximumscott
      2:09 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

You can use both simply by giving the option to Terry to run in any play as long as he sees the defenses opportunity.

• maximumscott
      2:08 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

UKs use of RPO incorporate the option of the QB run as a third option about 20% of the time when SJ was here. If a team doesnt want a WB to run or have an athletic QB then they are running a 1 dimensional RPO. The defense can rest assure knowing that the QB most likely will not run. UK employs a read option for the QB into the RPO. Look at how manytimes SJ read the defense and then ran when he saw fit. Just saying our RPO utilizes Benny, throwing and Wilsons ability to read and react to the defense. Also, if u have an athlete like Wilson why would you limit yourself to just handing it off or passing it? There are 3 options for terry every single play. He has to make the right call.

• bailey000
      2:46 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Rpo plays are hard to defend because of the blacking schemes not because of mobile QBs. As a linebacker when u see a guard pull your instinct is to follow and fill the gap behind him because you know it’s a run. With an rpo it maybe a pass thrown at the spot where u were standing. So in order to be successful with rpo’s u have a qb with great vision and understanding of the defensive interior. Zone blocking is also key you have to have a great o line because it is hard to open running lanes while not moving forward. A little football 301 for some folks that don’t really get it

4. UK Big Board Update
    12:49 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Im just here for the Hoak fan meltdowns….

• Alex90
      1:03 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

He’s the beat qb I’ve seen since Ray Lewis. Real shame Stoops just doesn’t like the kid and will start

• cats646
      1:28 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

The best QB will play. We might not know who that is until after the first two games. I’m confident in stoops decision of terry Wilson though.

• krautdog
      2:48 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I’m not! Stoops isn’t smart enough to make the right call-AKA Florida.

• cats646
      5:06 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Actually stoops called an audible just like a thousand other coaches do in various situations, two players ran off the field, one ran on. Go back and watch the replay, Stoops saw it and ran to the ref yelling for a time out for at least 3 seconds and the ref wouldn’t look at him. I don’t blame him one bit for the loss in the Florida game. As much as I hate it, I blame the refs, again.

• mashburnfan1
      12:05 am August 28, 2018 Permalink

crowd was loud so ref probably did not hear him, either way ref did not leave 2 wr open on 2 different plays, that was us as a team at fault. Now the holding penalty that prevented a last second FG chance??????????????? Damn Higgins

5. deputy305
    1:07 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Bye Gunner it was nice knowing you good luck where ever you go

6. ClutchCargo
    1:16 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Why do so many of you think Gunnar Hoak is a quitter, and will bail for some other school since he didn’t get his way? I’d like to think that all the QB’s have a better attitude than that.

• chardun20
      1:55 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Lots of time the QB that loses the QB battle usually transfers. UK has had several QB’s over the years transfer after not winning the QB battle. Doesn’t mean they are quitters, they just want to start.

• ClutchCargo
      2:45 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I think they both still have an opportunity to get PT. Neither of these QB’s has ever played in a real SEC game, so I don’t think this is necessarily the final word. Stoops just has to have one guy take the first snap, and then anything could happen.

• krautdog
      2:52 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

IT’S HIS REWARD FOR BEING PATIENT!!!

7. iam4thecats
    1:19 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

An RPO is not a zone read. Maybe we should look some things up before throwing out the word ignorant in a post.

8. Alleykat16
    2:01 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Well I’m being trueful I dont know the difference between the two, but to me what ever offense a team runs a qb that has TD Wilson’s speed I’d a better offense as long as he has enough confidence in his arm to not run every time it looks like the pocket is breaking down. And I dont believe the other will transfer out just because Wilson won the job as of now. Our last qb actually got his job because of injuries a backup is one play away from being a starter

9. kjd
    2:07 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I hope both QBs play Saturday under this scenario.
    I would hope things click on game day, and the Cats have a comfortable lead in the second half. This would be the ideal setup to play Hoak for experience. With a mobile/running QB especially, the backup QB is very important.I do not want another season of watching a banged up QB trying to win using a limited playbook.
    Go Big Blue;

10. BluKudzu
    2:07 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Final week, first team reps, likely the best practices TDT will have. It is getting real folks.
    Finally, Go Cats.

11. bigblue2018
    2:41 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see UK having a successful FB season unless the QB can get the ball to CJ Conrad. Without getting the ball to the best Tight End in the SEC UK’s chances dwindle.

12. bailey000
    2:46 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Not 101 but yes 301

13. jaws2
    3:39 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I can’t believe anyone is surprised by this. They didn’t bring Wilson in to be a backup. He came in to lose the job, not win it.
    If Stoops doesn’t give Hoak some snaps Saturday just for game experience prior to FL, he’s an idiot. No BigBoard, I’m not mad, a troll, pull for another team, or your usual blah, blah, blah……!

• bailey000
      4:07 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

You mad bro? I would want the starting QB to get more reps leading to Florida. You know Terry Touchdown the starting QB. You mad bro?

• jaws2
      4:13 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Sure he should get the most reps, if he’s successful Saturday. But again, Stoops is an idiot if Hoak doesn’t get snaps. In fact, the backup should get some every game we’re in control of.

• cats646
      5:09 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Idk if he would be an idiot not to play him, but I’m all for letting Gunnar play if we are in control of the game.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:25 am August 28, 2018 Permalink

jaws2 is a defensive little snowflake, aint he?

14. Wade
    4:48 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Love this guy and I think going into the gator game with him against Felipe franks is a sure win… bet it !franks was named starter and that kid excuse myself is trash as a qb. We will see lots of dumps short plays with a few shots down field and lots and lots of Benny and terry running the fb! I think terry is the second rb since stooos has been hoping for another guy to rise and rose and king really haven’t. It’s gonna be fun . That means Gunnar will get time and go nowhere.

• cats646
      5:11 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

I think rose is rising. That’s what everyone is saying anyways. And he looked great in the spring game. Although I know you can’t judge a lot from that.

15. CKTermy23
    7:16 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Stoops hasn’t decided who the guy is long term he is just giving the opener to Wilson. I’m sure he starts Gunner week two then will make the Decision. I think they said go with Clark with using Wilson in read option plays and use Gunner as the backup remember he is the most accurate and experienced QB they have Terry has the best arm and is the most athletic,and Clark is their most aware, gifted QB. I’m ok with this move. The race is obviously too close to call so Stoops is using the first two weeks as a tie breaker per say

16. michaelb
    10:30 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Why is every body acting like they don’t know what’s gonna happen ? This happens every year . The mobile qb plays 5 games gets hurt then the pocket passer plays all Beit getting ripped off on his games to get adjusted . So he’s plays the next 5-6 trying to get acclimated to the game and it’s always this scenario . It hurts us too

• herm89
      11:19 pm August 27, 2018 Permalink

Actually the exact opposite happened last time we were in this position