Mark Stoops Named Top Coach in College Football

Following Kentucky’s 9-3 regular season, Mark Stoops was named SEC Coach of the Year.  He narrowly missed out on the AP National Coach of the Year award, falling to Brian Kelly, but one outlet believes Stoops was snubbed.

Each year College Football News ranks every single FBS head coach from 1 to 130.  Kentucky’s head coach claimed the top spot following the 2018-19 season.

Kentucky might have gone bowling last year, but absolutely no one outside of the biggest blue die-hards could’ve seen what was coming.

No, it wasn’t an SEC Championship season, but with a limited offense, killer defense, and a gameplan with no margin for error, Stoops put together a masterpiece.

Ten wins, a victory over Florida for the first time since 1986, a 46-point blowout over Louisville, and a Citrus Bowl win over Penn State – it was a special coaching job.

Stoops’ spot is even more satisfying when you see the name at the bottom of the list: Bobby Petrino.  The Cards’ former head coach was undoubtedly the worst head football coach in America.

It’s good to be the king.

[College Football News]

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

30 Comments for Mark Stoops Named Top Coach in College Football

1. Go Deep
    11:21 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Well deserved!

2. The Real LindaS
    11:28 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Year 1 and 2 people wanted to get rid of him, year 3 same scenario…year 4…still not everyone was happy…through all of this, me not knowing much about football I kept saying give the man 6 years to build his program. Not as easy as in basketball, too many players to replace…guess what, 6 years, I was right. I hope this and the Citrus Bowl win now silences the haters and the armchair quarterbacks!

• RackEmWillie
      12:46 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

See, for me, I kind of dipped in my like/love/support of Stoops in year 3. I fully understood his position in year 1, and he got me hungry in year 2. Year 3 made me question if he could get it done.

Even the times I’ve been upset about him and all of that, he’s been a good rallying point for the players.

• notFromhere
      11:22 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Never dipped and never wavered. Got told to FO by people when I told them 9-10 wins this year. Was told to FO after they pulled it off, too. Never happier to piss people off that wanted this coach and program to fail so that they’d be “right about Stoops” …. got MSU and UT games backwards, but thought they could beat Florida.

They have a shot at keeping the momentum going. I’m still all in

• Irish son
      6:39 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Just stop! You or no one else predicted nine or ten wins. And you know it

• mashburnfan1
      11:40 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Irish I actually said on here we could get 9-10 wins this year. However I said it depends on the QB play which was part true but did not end up being the main reason. I said very good QB play and we are a 10 {or more} win team. I don’t think Terry was of very good quality. I think he did alot of what was asked of him which was not much. The fact he did not turn the ball over in key places did help but he was not given much of a chance to make big throws.

3. UKfansNKY
    11:38 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

VERY WELL DESERVED!!! THANKS COACH!

4. RackEmWillie
    11:41 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Stoops may be good, but he’s no Eddie Gran.

5. cats646
    11:47 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

Mark Stoops is the GOAT!!!!
    2020 National Championship WILL go to UK FOOTBALL!!!!!!
    Go big blue!!

6. Smyrna_Cat
    11:52 am January 25, 2019 Permalink

It was a special year!!!!

7. BluemanGreen
    12:04 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Go Stoops! LMAO at Petrinos dumb ass

8. henderblue
    12:33 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Congratulations Coach Stoops!!!

9. Matty Arbuckle
    12:38 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

He gone.

10. JohnnyCheeseSticks
    1:00 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Given how underwhelming Notre Dame has performed in the post season this past decade, I can’t believe Kelly was chosen over Stoops.

• notFromhere
      11:18 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

BINGO!!! Htf did they pick Kelly?! That’s freakin sardonic

11. Clyde X
    1:52 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Petrino #130 out of 130. Could not have happened to a nicer guy.

12. ClutchCargo
    2:20 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

They should have ranked him 131, just behind the interim guy. At least he only lost 2 games.

13. ClutchCargo
    2:26 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

I will be the first to criticize Barnhart for some of his boneheaded coaching hires in football and men’s basketball, but he was right to stay the course with Stoops. I started having my doubts in year 3, but the guy knows what a big-time football program looks like, inside and out. It has to be a hard transition from being a hands on DC to the guy who manages and sets the tone for the program, and he is clearly getting there.

• friendsofcoal
      1:45 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

I believe Barnhart has done a pretty damn good job with UK athletics. Everybody thought Joker would at least be halfway decent and yeah, the BCG hire was a mistake but he’s been a damn good AD.

14. Blue Bill
    2:57 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Awesome. Glad to see him recognized. Thank goodness some of the message board trolls didn’t get to vote. Where are they now by the way??

15. jaws2
    3:33 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Well deserved. Now if he’ll just let Gran run HIS offense next year, we could repeat.

16. notFromhere
    11:16 pm January 25, 2019 Permalink

Brian Kelly?

Freakin car salesman of the year maybe!? Top 25 recruiting classes for years, one of the schools that signs the most 4-5 stars in the country. Most watched school with a ton of revenue and private books… Shouldn’t have to play such a crappy schedule to get in the playoff, and the fact that they played worse than UCF in doing so does not warrant a playoff bid OR a COY award.

How much Irish whiskey did the voters drink before they cast their ballots, cause they whiffed big time on this one.

17. wkueku
    5:54 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Coach Stoops brought respectability for football back to our state. A class act!

18. ScottGreene22
    7:35 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

STOOPS = GOAT ?

19. tmcclan16
    9:09 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Great job and well deserved! Great season fellas

20. CombatMedic_98
    9:20 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

WOW! Speaks volumes about UK football!

21. krautdog
    10:10 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Although I thought Dabo Swinney should have won this award, especially after the beatdown of ‘Bama, all the UK coaches did a great job this year. When you can take consistently ranked 25/30(12/13 SEC) recruiting classes and turn it into upper top 20 ranking finishers you’ve done a helluva job.

22. BigBlueToo
    10:53 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Mitch, find the checkbook.

• mashburnfan1
      11:47 am January 26, 2019 Permalink

Only job I think he would leave here for is Oh St. May be wrong but he built this and that means something to coaches. This is not like a new guy that built a mid major and wants to move up and get paid. He built a top league team from scratch and is making the money. I mean he may go back to FSU if open I don’t know. I really feel the fact of where he is from, being this close to original home, family seems to love Lexington, I think he stays. Now if OSU opens, it is closer to home and may sway him but I feel good about Stoops being here a while.