Mark Stoops named top-15 coach in college football

The Kentucky football program is being led by one of the top coaches in the nation.

In 247Sports’ recent ranking of the top 25 coaches in college football ahead of the 2020 season, Mark Stoops was not only listed, but included in the top 15.

Stoops comes in at No. 15 overall and No. 7 in the SEC.

Regarding conference foes, Nick Saban (1), Ed Orgeron (3), Kirby Smart (4), Dan Mullen (8), Jimbo Fisher (9), and Gus Malzahn (13) are the only SEC coaches ranked ahead of Stoops.

Check out the entire list below:

1. Nick Saban – Alabama
  20. David Shaw – Stanford
  21. Jeremy Pruitt – Tennessee
  22. Pat Fitzgerald – Northwestern
  23. Gary Patterson – TCU
  24. Kyle Whittingham – Utah
  25. Mike Leach – Mississippi State

What do fans think of Stoops’ ranking?

(247Sports)

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

19 Comments for Mark Stoops named top-15 coach in college football

1. makeitstop
    11:51 am May 7, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s got a good case for being better than Gus. Other than that, keep grinding and work ur way up. Jimbo and Dan are within reach in a year or so if he has a couple more good years.

• claiborne_field
      12:07 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

He’s got a shot against Gus this fall head to head…

• gobble gobble
      12:09 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Now just work on clock management and he could crack top 10

• cathatter
      2:11 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Bellwether season (if it happens) for UK. Most of the SEC teams are finally trending upwards – Stoops needs a signature win to move up the ladder. But first and foremost UK has to beat Tennessee this year. Gus on the other hand, occupies perennial hotseat, but somehow is 3-4 against Bama/Saban.

2. Teamhhc1
    11:53 am May 7, 2020 Permalink

Compared to some of the guys ahead of him, I would say this ranking is a bit low. He has already beaten some of these coaches with less talent. We are blessed to have coach Stoops. I hope he stays for a long time.

3. KentuckyBoy
    12:01 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

There was a time that I lost faith in him. Especially early on. Losing to Florida at home with a lead and having blown coverage on D twice to allow them to come back was a hard pill to swallow. With that being said, what he has built is impressive. His staff believe in him, the players believe, Mitch believes in him, and I do to. I hope we continue to climb the ladder in the SEC. Its a daunting task, and time will tell, but I believe we have the right man for the job.

4. Headhurts
    12:15 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Most coaches ahead of stoops had more resources to work with, he’s top 10

5. Bluebloodtoo
    12:18 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

I think Stoops is finally getting what he deserves, but his team still isn’t. How about that irony?

6. ItzWallace
    12:40 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Easy to be top 10 coach when you took over a top 10 program… Take UK from the slums to where they are now, and are going!! Top 10 for Stoops

7. kyfan200587
    12:52 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

The real question is who in the top 14 could’ve done what mark stoops had in the period of timer he has had. Only one coach at Kentucky has and that’s Coach Bryant. So honestly who?? I only see three; Saban, Dabo, and Mullen.

8. CatManDo
    1:01 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Five years ago I would have thought this was an Onion headline.

9. RAGE
    1:15 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

I like Coach Stoops and he has done a good job of building up our program.. But to say that no other coaches could have done what he has at Kentucky is inaccurate… I think there are several coaches that could have done it.. It is easy to say Saban and Dabo cause Nick Saban could build a program at WKU into a perennial contender to crash the big bowls… However to say that Stoops has done what no one else has been able to do at Kentucky you have to consider that Kentucky AD finally brought our resources up to compete with the big time programs.. Which has enabled him to build our program… I think honestly Rich Brooks has the program goin the right way and maybe could have done it also.. He just didn’t have the resources to compete with the rest of the conference at that time.. I wasn’t a huge fan of Brooks honestly but I think we have to give him some props.. With that said I ain’t trying to take away what Coach Stoops has done a really good job here even though he needs to learn clock management at times.. He is still making the same mistakes at times that he did when he first got here which is frustrating at times..

• RAGE
      1:20 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

With all that said I forgot my point I do t think he is a top 10 coach in the country.. With that said neither is Ryan Day at OSU.. He is a lot like Tubby was in his first season.. He is enjoying the success of the coach before him.. Tubby had Rick who packed him and Day has Urban Meyer players.. Anyone could have coached OSU to the big 10 championship last year.. Honestly he under achieved by not winning the National Championship… He had even more talent than LSU so I think he don’t deserve to be in the top 25 at this point.. I think Stoops based off what he did the last 3 years deserves to be in the top 25 but not the top 10

• T-Town Cat
      1:55 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Brooks was 2-26 against UT, SC, GA, and FLA during his seven years. Stoops hasn’t been great, but he has done much better than Brooks against the SEC East.

• RAGE
      2:38 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Agreed but I am just saying that Brooks was handicapped by the poor facilities which Stoops now has… But I agree
      T-town… I ain’t saying anything bad about Stoops I think he has done a good job no questioning that… But the SEC East isn’t what it use to be either… It was much better when Brooks was here

10. Looother
    7:26 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

My sources say that Stoop’s rating is fair and well deserved. How about Scott Satterfield at 17?

• RAGE
      10:31 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

Honestly unless I am just missing something I don’t get the love affair with Satterfield… I mean he won a few games with Louisville last season in an atrocious ACC… Any time they lined up against a decent team they got smashed!!!

11. UKgrad80
    10:13 pm May 7, 2020 Permalink

What is this love affair with Mike Grundy?

• UKgrad80