Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, Jim Harbaugh, and… Mark Stoops?

Mark Dianno, the President of the Maxwell Football Club, announced this afternoon that Stoops is one of 18 semifinalists for the George Munger Collegiate Coach of the Year Award.

Sitting at 8-3 on the year, Kentucky has managed their best 11-game start in 34 years, and a win on Saturday would give the Cats their best regular-season mark since 1977. As a result, Stoops has solidified himself as one of the top coaching performers in the nation this season.

Here is the entire list of candidates:

According to the official release, semifinalist voting for the Maxwell Football Club Collegiate Coach of the Year award will begin on Monday Nov. 26th and close on Monday, Dec. 10th. The finalist round will include the top three coaches as selected in the semifinalist round. Finalist voting will open Dec. 11th and run until Dec. 27th.

The winner will be announced Dec. 28th.

Go Cats.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

27 Comments for Mark Stoops named semifinalist for George Munger Collegiate Coach of the Year Award

1. shelby
    8:29 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

If we finish 9-3; Stoops definitely deserves multiple COY awards. Every other coach was supposed to do exactly what they did.

• mashburnfan1
      9:31 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

If we did not have Eddie Gran we would probably be 10-1 right now, 11-1 to finish, and he would win hands down. Thanks Eddie.

• dbcline1
      12:50 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree!

• katfan33
      7:03 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

At one point I thought the same exact thing. But now I’m thinking Stoops holds Eddie back.

• Skooms
      9:29 am November 23, 2018 Permalink

Right there with you Katfan! I love the job Stoops is/has doing/done, BUT I think Eddie is being overruled on some of his offensive plays. Until hearing him mic’d up and looking at Cincys offense while Gran was there, I was throwing blame at Eddie. Now, not so much.

2. big cat
    9:01 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Insane. I’m not impressed

• bcon39
      9:29 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Your a joke! No ones impressed.

• east-ky-boy
      9:58 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Do you remember we are Kentucky football? I think some fans have forgotten where we came from!

• Vile_Revolver
      4:51 pm November 22, 2018 Permalink

I am sure that no one cares if you are impressed or not.

3. Nickerbocker05
    9:40 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Coach stoops deserves this and then some! So happy he is our coach

4. east-ky-boy
    10:10 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

At the beginning of the year, if someone told me we would go 9-3 (if we beat Louisville of course) and in that being a win at the swamp, id say you’re nuts! I know we have been aggravated at some things namely the offense, the a and m game and the Tennessee game. But I’m at this point. Stoops has put us in a place as a fan base to get frustrated at sitting at 8-3!!!!! Think about that for a moment. Remember playing florida in the 90s? It was a beat down. Remember the joker days? Brooks as good as he did only won 7 games tops in a regular season. Folks we are on the right path. That being said, let’s be thankful for what Stoops has done. Is there room for improvement YES. But have we come a long long way? MAN ALIVE YES

• dbcline1
      12:54 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

Exactly! I’m also an ol eastern Ky boy living in Ohio now. anyone that says Stoops doesn’t deserve this is outta their mind! We have been ranked longer this season than we have over the last 2 decades! Could it have been better, without question. We should win the A.M game as well as UT but we’re still lookin at a 9 win season at UK and people are still complaining. Gran needs to go!

• east-ky-boy
      1:41 pm November 22, 2018 Permalink

Big amen here! I’m from Pikeville

5. BigolBlue
    10:56 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

We arent 9-3 yet just like we arent gonna be 10-2. Can we do 1 game at a time?.

• east-ky-boy
      11:09 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I did say if we beat Louisville.

• ukkatzfan
      11:22 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Hey BigolBlue !!! Bite the BigolRed

• CATandMONKEY
      11:40 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

We will all do one game at a time if you promise to eat it.

6. down54187092
    11:13 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Probably would’ve won the award had Kentucky beaten Tennessee

7. ukkatzfan
    11:21 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Stoops !!! He got a little old punter U school to 8-9 regular season wins. Year before him, we couldn’t beat a khsaa all star team.

8. CoachCat
    2:00 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

Sorry. But no way he wins coach of the year.

• katfan33
      7:06 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

Ok, but he definitely deserves to be on the list. He’s done a remarkable job at UK this season and every season he’s been at UK. Stop being a hater.

• CoachCat
      10:12 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

I love it. Can’t have a honest opinion without being labeled a hater. The Coach of the Year would have figured out a way to win at A&M, played Georgia tougher, and won at Tennessee against a sub par team. Facts

9. BluKudzu
    5:31 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

One thing for sure, little brother will not have a candidate for coach of the year.
    What a great season.
    Go Cats!

10. JohnnyCheeseSticks
    7:52 am November 22, 2018 Permalink

I only wish Petrino could have kept his job the whole season, so it would be Stoops that put the final nail in his coffin.

11. JASUN74
    6:19 pm November 22, 2018 Permalink

Wow. To even be on that list is an unbelievable accomplishment. Great job Coach Stoops. From to bottom of my heart, thank you for everything you’re doing and you’re doing it the right way. Building a team that’s made for many years of success. I’m proud as I can be to. Have you as our Coach. I honestly think that Coach Harbaugh and or Coach Leach deserves a Co winner this year because they have done fantastic jobs also. Having said that, I wouldn’t trade my Coach for anyone in the Country right now. Got too much invested in him. Lol. I may be saying that with a little more heart, than head but it’s 100% true. Guys, I’m so proud of what this team has accomplished , how much they’ve grown in the last couple of years and I honestly think it’s just the beginning. A step back to a 7 win season may happen next year if you listen to a few people!! Not me!! I think we step it up next year and We win 10 games regular season. I think Georgia wins a close game against us and we drop one more between Florida at home or Mississippi St on the road. But I’m hoping we pull them out and win the east. 2019 SEC East Champions and 2020 SEC & National Champions. Now let’s beat those dirty birds and win our bowl game. Go Cats.