Mark Stoops is Handing Over the Defensive Playcalling Duties

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Mark Stoops is taking a step back on the defensive side of the ball.

Last year Kentucky’s head coach took over the defensive playcalling duties from D.J. Eliot after a slow start to the season.  Promoted to defensive coordinator this offseason, Matt House will take back the playcalling duties from Stoops.  The head coach still plans on being intimately involved with the defense, “I always help where needed.”

Stoops is not worried about the defense’s progress with a different person calling the plays.  “There’s carryover, and there’s also a clear identity of what we want moving forward.”

More from Stoops’ pre-spring practice press conference is on the way.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Mark Stoops is Handing Over the Defensive Playcalling Duties

1. Cokey_2
    1:04 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Stoops must be incredibly confident in House if he is giving up the play calling of defense this year. He is subjecting himself to a great amount of criticism if things go south like last year. After a great turnaround, why change back to something you don’t know will work?

• ClutchCargo
      1:23 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Kind of what I was thinking, as well. I guess the difference is that House has actually been a DC before.

• bigblue6
      2:15 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree but my I guess is he would face even more criticism and it went south if he was still calling the plays- coach should always put someone between him and the problem! Jokes aside, I think it is the right decision as that is what House is being paid to do. Stoops will be there to mentor, supervise, and step in if needed.

2. maximumscott
    1:23 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

House is legit. Alot of Eliots problems was players confidence in his authority. Didnt have complete respect. House has came in to Special Teams and did work!

3. “There’s carryover, and there’s also a clear identity of what we want moving forward.”

That may be, and of course I hope it works out, but couldn’t the same have been said about DJ since they worked together at FSU, and since he had already been DC for 3 years before Stoops took play calling away from him?

4. satcheluk
    2:21 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

This may say more about Elliott than anyone.

• RackEmWillie
      2:29 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

That’s the first thing I thought when I read this. I assumed that as soon as Stoops was going to take over the defense last year, that Eliot was not going to return. Couldn’t return. You can’t be a DC, and just be a glorified spotter in the box.

I think this also shows that Stoops has a lot of faith in House.

5. BluKudzu
    5:40 am March 7, 2017 Permalink

Hope nothing but the best for Eliot. Somewhere else.
    Was not an Eliot fan since day one, and I really thought Stoops would have been fired, had he not taken over the defense last year, which the way it started out, was humiliating to the fans and players. Everyone had said we had way too much talent and skill with our players, to be at or near the bottom in every defensive statistical category.
    Stoops did the right thing by taking over a putrid defense, and re assigning Eliot. He should have done it a couple years sooner.
    I am pulling for Stoops on this change. We are so close. The right DC, will make a huge difference.