Mark Stoops “Disappointed” in Kentucky’s First Preseason Scrimmage

Angry Mark Stoops has returned to the Kentucky sideline sooner than expected.

Following the Wildcats’ first scrimmage of the preseason, the UK head coach did not have anything good to say about his team’s performance at Kroger field.

“Not good enough today.  Not a good enough scrimmage.  I was really disappointed to be honest with you,” he said.  “I felt like it was bit flat.  I expected a lot more out of these guys across the board.”

The team did not bring enough energy to meet Stoops’ expectations.  Even the little things were ugly.

“I felt like we were just sloppy.  We had some pre-snap penalties that hurt some drives.  Offensively, we had some drops.  Late in the scrimmage we put the ball on the ground.  Defensively, we were just average.  I felt like we were just average across the board.  I didn’t really see exceptional play from either side.”

In the quarterbacks’ first opportunity to impress coaches in a pressure-packed situation, nobody stood out.  The passers weren’t good enough and the receivers didn’t make plays.

I don’t feel like anybody has stepped up on the offense to make a spectacular play.  Wide receivers, I just feel like we’re very average there right now.  Nobody’s stepping up and making any great individual plays. I think the quarterbacks are a part of that as well. They’ve been inconsistent.”

With Benny Snell on the sideline with a calf strain, the team had to rely on others to provide energy and make plays.  Up until this point, Stoops was satisfied with the Cats’ progress.  Today they took a step back, although he’s confident it will not keep the team down for long.

“I’m not pleased.  I just feel like there’s a lot more with us.  It’s a long training camp, but I expect more coming out for the first scrimmage.” He added, “It’s not what we’re looking for.”

I expect this group to bounce back and get back at it next week because we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Mark Stoops “Disappointed” in Kentucky’s First Preseason Scrimmage

1. J. Did
    3:03 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

It is what it is.

YET – Every year, an uphill battle.

A struggle – of world war proportions.

WHY is that?

WHY?

• BBNDan7
      3:25 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Because we play in the best conference in the country and 5 years ago were a 2 win team. Things take time

• Luether
      3:29 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

This is Kentucky football…

2. jaws2
    4:18 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Because we spend $9M for a basketball coach, and $3M for a first time head football coach. History is a bitch. Success in the big leagues costs big money. Football pays the athletics bills, but we have refused to put the money up since Bryant.
    Double that money and let’s see who we’ll get.

• bigblue98
      4:43 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Partially agree with you but difficult to find anyone other than a coordinator to come in. Although we have made upgrades we are still behind other teams in the east with exception of mizz and vandy with lack of interest. Football matters at the other schools more and is indicative in the fan support. Having attended games in other east schools, they have many more fans. We can’t fill up a 60,000 seat stadium, so tough to compete when other schools outdraw by 20, 30, or 40,000 more fans on per game basis. When multiply that by 7 games at average of $60 to $75 per games staggering amount between gate revenue. Having said that, still agree with you on history. Not sure we have the money to double though.

3. Kentuckiana
    4:31 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

I want to get behind this team so very, very much this year but with reports like today with experienced players, I am so apprehensive to do so.

I am so ready for the football Cats.

• Natureboy42
      6:33 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

To all the chicken littles out there have you ever played sports at any level beyond grade school? One of then reasons you scrimmage is to see how guys react and work on the things that need to be fixed. I like my team I like my coach and at the end of the day history is just that. Those who look back never move forward.

• Luether
      10:30 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

I am so ready for the basketball Cats…

• CombatMedic_98
      11:02 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Change your name it’s annoying like your posts…Lex

4. bigblue98
    4:34 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Reading between the lines with pre-snap penalties, etc appears to be a lack of discipline. This has cost us in the past (i.e. Florida last year with non-coverage of receivers and holding penalty). This needs to get fixed yesterday!

5. kjd
    10:13 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Hey Natureboy, it’s a veteran team. They should know how to react.
    Then again, it’s back to the veterans, same comments were made about them last year.
    Same players and coaches, just a new year.