Mark Stoops asked again when Kentucky will beat Florida

There are three certainties during Kentucky’s turn at SEC Media Days: a question about basketball, a question about Stoops’ brothers, and a question about the program’s losing streak to Florida. Mark Stoops was asked once again when he thinks Kentucky will snap the 31-year losing streak to the Gators, which he joked has become an annual tradition.

“I always look forward to that annual question here until we get it done. I’m not blaming you; I’m going to get it a thousand times until that game.

“My answer the first three or four years was, I wasn’t really concerned about it because I was building a culture at Kentucky and win games and get in position, but you do hear it. You can’t hide from the elephant in the room. It’s been a long time. You need to beat Florida, but you need to beat a lot of teams on our schedule. So, we don’t put too much emphasis on that game until it gets there.

“We do play them early in the season, so we’ll see. We’ll go down there and play them early in the year at the Swamp, which we all know is a very tough environment. They had a new change in coaching staff and we’re familiar with Dan [Mullen] and what he does and the great job that he does. It’s a tough game, but we’re excited and we’ll embrace that challenge when the time comes.”

Let’s just make sure we have eleven guys on defense this time.

[mobile_ad]

32 Comments for Mark Stoops asked again when Kentucky will beat Florida

1. BBNBRIAN
    2:34 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

As long as Stoops is coach, never.

2. Jiminy Crickets
    2:37 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Stoops should be familiar with Mullens, he thumps Stoops ass most of the time. 45-7 last year

3. Jiminy Crickets
    2:38 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Ask him how much pressure you can put on opposing offenses playing 10 guys

4. TB112162
    2:40 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

BBNBRIAN your so smart let’s see Curry,Mumme,Morris ,Brooks and Phillips All failed.You have to be a Rhodes Scholar

5. Wade
    2:45 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Bs a cb should know to guard receivers. IF it happens twice like it did blame the players they need to be aware out there. And how bout that play clock expiring and giving fl the go ahead to win. It hasn’t been stoops fault. Yes stoops is not the best but I like him!

6. drew_123
    3:01 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

For all of you questioning stoops let me just ask this, who the hell else are we going to get? As far as Kentucky football goes, he’s already one of the best to have the job based on record alone. How quickly we forget the 2-10 days. The past 2 years have been some of the best in Kentucky football history. How do you all not see that?

• kjd
      3:16 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Some say Stoops is the best recruiter we have had. Yet, record lately hovers at .500.
      I bought in when they hired Stoops, purchased season tickets for the first time ever. I’m losing patience however. Stoops is not producing quality wins or winning handily against lesser competition.
      Second game of the year in the Swamp, streak continues.

• drew_123
      3:43 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Name a coach at Kentucky who had a record better than .500 besides Bryant.

• DennyC
      3:19 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Stoops would not be at UK if it were not for a gifted Kicker who SAVED HIS @$$ with TWO 50+yd field goals. He owes McGinnis that $250K BOGUS BONUS Stoops got. #SMH…

• runningunnin.454
      4:02 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Stoops coaches in the toughest conference in the country; the ACC has only two decent football programs.

7. dylangeorge7988
    3:49 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Jesus H. Christ.

Tyler, why do you do this type of BS “reporting”? Of all of the substantive issues discussed during this interview you point towards the TMZ-esque knee jerky quote about the Florida game? Why? Just to rub it in, not only to the players and the coaching staff but to the REAL Football fans (I don’t include you in that)- did you do it just so you could write that dead horse of a line at the end about 11 defenders?

You idiots at KSR hard about why we can’t pull instate football recruits, and this type of garbage is exactly why. You think the kids playing sports in Kentucky don’t know about KSR? Here it is SEC Football Media days and we’ve had almost as many articles about NBA Summer League garbage and Basketball 2029 recruiting as we have about our hard working, IMPROVING football program.

You’re terrible! Everytime I read one of your articles I cringe at the flaky, pretentious Cal Super Fan garbage that bleeds onto my screen.

How about the fact that a holding call put us out of field goal range last year? How about the fact that two years ago the refs gave Florida the go ahead score in OT?

Get off your high horse and do some reporting! WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING AT MEDIA DAYS?!!!!?

• tree_gardener
      3:59 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Dude chillax

• runningunnin.454
      4:03 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Hey, I missed it; who did Cal get for 2029?

• krautdog
      4:56 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

I LOVE IT! LOL

• jaws2
      4:04 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Dude, no one does REPORTING anymore, you been in a cave the last 20 years? Today it’s all opinion and headlines for click bait. Welcome to American so called media.

• PillsburyThrowboy
      4:14 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Jaws2, while I agree with you, I also agree with dulangeorge. TT is the queen of writing TMZ click bait garbage and it’s really annoying. Especially because this is a sports website. The unfortunate thing is KSR is the best source for football news, even though the content is basketball dominant.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      4:21 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Hey Dylan, thanks for your feedback.

1) With Roush at Media Days and me helping from home, we divvy up stories. Considering the Florida game is arguably the biggest on Kentucky’s schedule, this quote was worth posting, as you can also see by the number of comments on it.

2) As you can also see by the number of new posts coming out, we roll out content as we have it. This is one of several posts we will have on Stoops’ time at the podium.

3) If it really pains you to read my stuff, here’s a suggestion: don’t.

• Memphis UK Cat
      4:44 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Nice burn!

• jaws2
      4:43 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Whoa Tyler! You need to have a little thicker skin here. I’d expect your #3 to be a Matt response, but a knee jerk is never good. If you’re going to write opinions you should expect someone to disagree. I like most of your articles but disappointed in your response to the guy.
      This response is one of the reasons I stopped listening to the show last year, the guys have gotten waaaay to arrogant and full of themselves. If you have a differing opinion they’ll chop you right off. I’d hate to put you in the same category.

• Geo_Armstrong
      6:42 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Tyler, I love you but Dylan is right on. I understand that UK basketball and Cal has earned the slobber treatment, but I can almost predict when I can go to twitter or this site and see your go-to statement of “that’s so Kentucky football”. I’ve grown to really enjoy Roush though, and part of that is he is an alum. I believe most non-alumni fans are going to skew heavily basketball, (clearly…because of the history). I think Matt and you are similar there. I believe former players / students (Drew, Nick, Jared, Freddie) and those fans who’ve found football to be way more accessible are going to be a little more football forward, and less likely to jump ship when a few things go wrong. I get it. You are a talented writer and editor and yes, I could choose not to read you. But I still do and I believe Dylan has a point.

• bigbluebanana
      7:45 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Nick Roush can’t hold Tyler’s jock strap. He’s the absolute worst writer I’ve ever read, period. I went to UK, most slums I know put football WAY back on a back burner to basketball. This isn’t the site to come to if you want analytical breakdowns, number crunching, and other boring crap. It’s a site based on opinions and reaction. Quit taking sports so seriously, and TT, way to burn that guy! If someone comes at you, you go back at them, it shouldn’t matter if you’re famous for covering sports on a local site or not.

• unbridled
      11:02 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Dylan…you seem really “special.” Uk is a basketball school. No way around that. Tell the football team to do something relevant and I’m sure coverage will drastically change. Good luck.

8. Alex90
    4:58 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

I get mad at times because of some of the stupid posts that aren’t really news but it’s to be expected. KSR used to be for the die hard UK fans and the stories were geared towards that but now they are catering to the casual fans that just want a quick read for discussion points. In other words Matt sold out and it’s all about the money now and not producing informative articles. I don’t blame him though because he’s killing it right now, I just hope they don’t run KSR into the ground by hiring all these new writers

9. jaws2
    5:04 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Alex until someone challenges this, “the most ridiculous manner” will prevail. Your option is to reduce the clicks, no longer visit, or find an alternative. It’s the only thing that will reduce revenues. The business model here will never change unless that occurs.

• Alex90
      5:45 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

I agree with you and I believe that door is open for someone to do just that. You can tell by the comments that fans are looking for a better option. Instead of perfecting KSR and focusing on Basketball/Football they have branched out and some of the writers you can tell aren’t even knowledgeable of the topics they’re writing about. Mart will be leaving soon and I don’t think they will be able to sustain the level they’re at now without him.

10. dylangeorge7988
    5:07 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Dude give me Bryan the Intern comparing stats and forming thought provoking opinions all day over this clickbait.

KSR has fallen hard- and I really REALLY miss Freddie’s football articles. Maybe he spoiled me- I dunno.

11. KYcats11
    6:28 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

Once again, we had 11 guys on defense on the field, but they were not in the correct position.

• KYcats11
      7:12 pm July 16, 2018 Permalink

(which is basically as useful as having only 10 on the field, but still…)

12. unbridled
    4:04 am July 17, 2018 Permalink

Yeah you people are soooo right. Ksr has completely imploded because they don’t ignore the obvious and cater to the sycophants that don’t understand sports. You people are hysterical that think stoops is competent and that if we just cheer louder and unconditionally support the team we will win more games. Comical.

• unbridled
      4:05 am July 17, 2018 Permalink

Thank God it’s almost basketball season.

• bigbluebanana
      10:15 am July 17, 2018 Permalink

First time sycophants has probably ever been used on KSR, and in perfect context too!