Mark Stoops apologized for the loss

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.54.45 PM

Mark Stoops opened his post-game press conference by doing something he said he never thought he would do. He apologized for the game.

The full quote:

“It hurts a great deal to our team, and to our fan base, to our administration, to everybody. I accept that, fully. I didn’t know if ever in my career I would want to apologize for a game, but that’s a tough pill to swallow right there. And I do (apologize). I didn’t think I’d ever do that. That’s a tough loss and our fans deserve better.”

He then went on to explain he knows they are capable of playing better and they will, before apologizing one more time.

“Once again, I apologize to our fans because they deserve better,” he said. “That’s not acceptable and I get it.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for Mark Stoops apologized for the loss

1. Big Blue Shawn
    12:06 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

He is a boob of a coach. We hired the special Stoops. I knew we should have never hired a ginger.

• DelrayCat
      7:16 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Complete and total amateur. This guy has no business as a head coach for an SEC team, or even a solid mid-major for that matter. He will be the coach of Toledo or some similar school in 2017. Unfortunately, we are probably stuck with this boob for 23 more games until Mitch grows a pair.

2. maximsm
    12:06 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I am sorry I cannot coach

• UKPROF
      12:50 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

“Mark Stoops apologized for the loss.” Apology not accepted.

3. MightierPen
    12:06 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

It takes a great deal of character to apologize for your mistakes and step up to the plate and be honest with the media. Our politicians could learn a great deal from Mark Stoops.

• maximsm
      12:12 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Take more character to admit it and resign…

4. UKCatAttack
    12:07 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I feel bad for the guy but he needs to recognize he is in over his head and gracefully step down. That’s the only apology I can accept from him right now. He gets paid too much money to be terrible at his job.

5. BG Cat
    12:08 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Brohm 2017

• j4stone
      7:58 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I like Brohm, but he’d leave once the U of L job opens up.

6. Tim in Korea
    12:10 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Zero second half points. Zero.

7. tippytoe
    12:11 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

He should apologize for thinking he could be a head coach. He is just like all the other Stoops brothers not named Bob.

8. JunkTwoMuch
    12:11 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

On 840, Stoops is blaming player execution for the collapse.

Well, that and offense play calling. No joke. Said the offense has to help the defense by getting 1st downs.

Maybe he can get a now OC.

What a joke!!

• UKPROF
      12:55 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

All that talent, and the coaches are blaming the players? Same ole sad story, uh? Too bad the players don’t have any coaches that can coach them because now they will have to play their home games in an empty stadium.

9. Patrick_David
    12:15 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Whew….. Pretty salty comments tonight. Think I’ll take a pass.

10. Kyblue34
    12:15 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Apology not accepted unless there is a resignation to go with it.

11. AndTheDevil
    12:17 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky didn’t score in the 2nd half against Louisville. Stoops had an entire off season to figure out how to do it. Tonight showed he didn’t. That is pretty SORRY

12. ataxicgait
    12:18 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I believe that if the team does not make it to 6-6 this year, then a new head coach should be hired. It’s still possible and I am holding out hope, but it’s going to be hard if they cannot play a complete game. I hate this for the fans, players, and staff.

13. Bluebros
    12:18 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

yeah yeah yeah, bye Felicia!!!

14. AndTheDevil
    12:20 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

In other news Damien Harris only had 9 carries for 138 yards. At least, he’s regretting not coming here…

15. Luether
    12:21 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Can’t wait until basketball season starts…

16. GallifreyDalek
    12:23 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know what his affinity for running up the middle is, we don’t and won’t have the caliber of lineman to do that, we can’t even push Sounthern Miss around let alone Alabama. So you have to get spread and run. Run the Urban Meyer at Utah offense. Run based, not super up tempo, and spread.

By the way glad we finally utlized our tight end.

17. blueballs80
    12:23 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Lets hope UK can cough out 11 mil. Lets face it, Morale will be low. Losing to a team you were supposed to beat stinks to high heavens. We got a new OC in place and we still can’t seem to figure things out. Its like someone drops their pants shits in your front yard and you can do nothing about it. That about sums up this game.

18. cj2034cats
    12:24 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

First home opener I have missed in 30 years. Glad I gave up my tickets. Pathetic

19. Fairweatherfan1
    12:24 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

no apology necessary. just resign.

20. BluKudzu
    12:25 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Billy Hill? Big board update? Eat my ass.

• Billy Hill
      7:49 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Chomp chomp chomp…lick.

ESPN analyst said on national TV, Kentucky football is: “Incompetent and Inept”.

21. KatsKlaws
    12:31 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Is there any precedent for firing a head coach after the first game of the season? Barnhart really need to get his arms around this situation….

22. Fairweatherfan1
    12:35 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

been tailgating since 1995, wife mad because I refuse to go anymore after tonight. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

23. Fairweatherfan1
    12:36 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

wrong coach let go at the end of last season.

24. AndTheDevil
    12:39 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

We’re stuck with Stoops if we fire him we owe him 12 million bucks.

25. Everyyear
    12:41 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Why firing D.J. Eliot never comes up is beyond me.The guy has been the DC from day 1. He never makes adjustments. He never seems to prepare for anything outside of the obvious. How many times has a second string QB killed UK. Hell, Dawson knows he can’t adjust to anything outside of the initial game plan and took complete advantage of his total incompetence.

• inside info2
      7:32 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Eliot isn’t our DC. Stoops is. Eliot is DC in name only. He is Stoops BFF and was handed this opportunity.

Barnhart will probably force him to be fired at the end of the year and an actual DC to be hired. Too little too late. Barnhart needs to be fired next year about 5 minutes after he is forced to fire Stoops.

26. ronnie78
    12:42 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is obviously in over his head but I can’t blame him for taking all the money the AD of the year gave him. Barnhart should also be apologizing but you will never hear him take responsibility for anything.

27. beauleonard
    12:42 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Sorry doesn’t cut it. You have failed to recruit a defensive line and you made Shannon Dawson your escape goat last year. You can’t make/perform the basic adjustments necessary to beat the likes of a conference USA team. The product placed on the field in the second half tonight was disgusting. At one point, very late in the forth quarter I saw a stat line that showed UK having 28 TOTAL yards in the second half! I don’t think it changed much either. Your weak apology is NOT excepted. Choke on your apology! While you are at it, give back the money that you have been paid to fail! I have been watching the same garbage for 35 years and I am sick of it! You now have eleven games to gain any of my interest at all. I cannot and will not put any energy and care toward this kind of product anymore. 35 years of a loosing product… I’m done being disappointed.

• EdC
      7:27 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

There’s no such thing as an escape goat. Try scapegoat next time.

28. Fairweatherfan1
    12:43 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

we spent what, 200 million on upgrades? pay him and cut our losses.

29. runningunnin.454
    12:44 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

The only problem I saw was lack of consistency of the offense play calls from 1st half to 2nd.
    First half was Mr. Hyde; second was Dr Jekyll; We took away the threat of the pass, and tried to kill the clock. Conservatism is defeatism; we didn’t move the chains; and, the defense was on the field too much, too long.
    Oh, by the way, Ford had a better idea; but, KSR didn’t…..that Live Game Blog thing….
    that’s an annoying clusterf___!

30. Lip Man 1
    12:49 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Stoops lost credibility a long time ago. Like John Wayne once said in a movie role, “sorry don’t get it done…”

Fire Stoops.

31. BluKudzu
    1:06 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Will we deserve better against Florida too? Maybe the rest of the schedule? We flat out suck, because the AD failed again, to do his job.

32. inside info2
    7:33 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Barnhart should have come on right after Stoops and apologized too.

33. Kevin C
    7:55 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

You can stuff your “sorries” in a sack mister.

• EdC
      7:29 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Clapping for Seinfeld reference. Humor is really all we have besides a crap AD who will just hire another bum after this bum is gone.

34. 3 fan
    8:48 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

USM coach : “You have better talent, better facilities and a 35-10 lead. Here is how you COACH!”

35. helixvortexv2
    9:38 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Biggest mistake UK has made is not hiring Bobby Petrino. He is a guy that makes 2 and 3 star guys better and he wins. You may hate his behind the scenes affairs but the guy is a football coach that knows the game and how to win. I bet he would not have almost gotten beaten to Eastern last year and definitely in year 4 got beaten to So Miss at home. So lets look forward. Stands will be half empty by the end of the year. Stoops will not be bought out. Maybe Uk gets lucky and in a few years we can get Brohm if he is still available but likely he will move to a better program and UK will still be making fans look forward to basketball in Sept.

36. kybigblue
    4:42 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Has Stoops pulled off a big upset while at UK? He seems to continually get out coached. Joker couldn’t recruit but he did beat UT and Auburn. Stoops best recruiting year was his second year but it has dropped off the last couple of years. Next time we need to hire a coach with head coaching experience because Joker and Stoops didn’t work out. Stoops changing his staff year after year isn’t working so maybe he is the problem.