It was an all-systems-failure in Knoxville, but Kentucky football head coach Mark Stoops isn’t going to apologize to anyone for his team being in position to win nine games in the regular season.

During his weekly radio show, one fan called into the show to air his grievances with the Kentucky offense, calling out Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw in the process. In his mind, the UK co-offensive coordinators are being paid quite a bit of money to not put up more than 17 points over the last five weeks.

Stoops accepted the fact that the Wildcat offense has been struggling, but he was quick to remind the caller that this is team is in position to do something that hasn’t been done at Kentucky in decades.

“We accept that, but you’re not going to sit there and point fingers and cast the blame on people,” he said. “Because they’re also the same people that put us in a position that we’re going to win the most games we have in school history in the last, what, 40 years?”

Stoops said that he understands that history was there to be made and he’s frustrated they couldn’t seal the deal on that, but there are only three historically great SEC teams with better records than the Cats right now. In his mind, that stands for something.

“I believe in the last 40 years, there have been some great coaches here,” Stoops said. “I believe there have been some coaches that have done a really good job, guys I have great respect for. There are three people in the SEC that have better records than us. These are programs that have been doing things right for 50, 75, 100 years. And we’re right in the middle of it.”

Earlier today at his weekly press conference, Stoops was asked whether or not he was willing to shake things up offensively to close out the season. The Kentucky head coach said going into “panic mode” would be a bad idea.

“That wouldn’t be a very good idea. We got two opportunities to get the most victories we’ve had in a regular season since 1977. I don’t think that’d be very wise. We did a lot of good things to win seven games, and we plan on trying to get to eight and nine. I appreciate all the good things that they did to put us in that position. That would be called panic mode,” Stoops said.

The perfect recipe of grinding out victories by controlling the clock and pounding the ball on the ground over the last three years has led to Kentucky finishing with the most conference wins in school history. More success is there to be had and the staff is just as frustrated, but nobody is perfect.

“We’re not perfect, but we’re going to keep on shriving,” he said. “You’re entitled to your frustration, but we’re just as frustrated as you are. We found a recipe to win the most SEC games in the last three years as anyone in the history of this school. Because guess what? It’s not easy.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

80 Comments for Mark Stoops accepts offensive criticism, but won’t apologize for a potential nine-win regular season

1. N-UR-i
    9:02 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Fire Eddie Gran

2. N-UR-i
    9:03 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

9 wins is far from Guaranteed

3. Bobbum Man
    9:08 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Well I’m sorry but no Eddie gran didn’t put us in a position to win those 9 games, our defense did… time and time again. Sure there were times he made good calls, I would sure hope at some point in the season he did his job well, but more often than not he hindered the team and just prayed the defense would bail them out. We could very easily be 5-4 or even 4-5 then what’s the conversation look like?

9:45 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Do you think that having a great defense had anything to do with the head coach who is known for being a defensive specialist?

9:47 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we could have one heckuva party. We aren’t 4-5 or 5-4. We are 7-3!

• mashburnfan1
      10:27 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

agree dc but we are 7-3 despite Eddie Gran. He had little to do with us winning those 7 games. May be 9-1 without him.

10:33 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I would point you to some of the discussions we are having on that topic down in the posts…

4. bigbluefan11
    9:10 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Stoops has to get to 9 wins before he can make that statement

• Blue Bill
      10:16 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think this miserable group would be happy with 10-0 right now. Geez.

• big cat
      9:15 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Funny….the Wikipedia link lists Gran as “hopefully” his last year….

5. BigBlue4Three
    9:13 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Come back and talk to us when you actually have that 9th win. We definitely aren’t “just getting started bro”.

6. Trueblue44
    9:16 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

For those wanting Gran removed, myself included, those statements don’t sound very promising. And to think, I was going to upgrade my season tickets next year……”was going to”

7. big cat
    9:22 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Hanshaw is listed as co- coordinator / QB coach….so does he shoulder some blame?

• zoupman
      9:29 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

The QB coach probably deserves more of the blame. QB has NOT improved.
      Sure hope we can get the nine wins.

8. dcforuk
    9:23 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I think he is saying the right things. Time to back it up and go get those two wins. There is no description on a golf scorecard. A birdie is a birdie even if you get your first one like my son did by worm-burning a tee shot a foot from the hole on Seneca’s First Tee par three course. Seven wins after 10 games is seven wins. Let’s go secure 8 and 9 and silence the critics!

9. big cat
    9:25 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Stoops is arrogant….so disrespectful. I remember October 2016 he was under some fire. I also recall a KSR article suggesting Les Miles. Dang, wish that help up to be true…lol.

• big cat
      9:28 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Before anyone suggests I’m stupid…I know he has a 20 year deal at UK for less than good coaching. He gas bedn grossly overpaid and grossly compensated.

9:42 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Would definitely not suggest you are stupid but perhaps a little unwilling to acknowledge anything successful with this season which from my perspective affects credibility if there is zero acknowledgement of any successes this season.

• Booby Petrino
      8:17 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Stoops is disrespectful? A part of this fanbase has been extremely disrespectful and you expect him to take it and laugh? I’m glad he’s not that weak. I’m glad he has the balls to tell you all to suck it.

10. shepdog3720
    9:29 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Not asking him to apologize, but I am asking him why this team didn’t improve over the course of the season

• shepdog3720
      9:32 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Because to me, it looks like we have regressed

9:39 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Since 1983 what would you say are the best seasons we have had in football. 1993 Peach Bowl season? 2007 defeat of LSU season? Remember that we were 6-1 in 2007 and finished 7-5. The grind has not only impacted this year’s team. It is a grind for a reason. The grind is impactful and probably one of the next hurdles necessary to get closer to consistently competing for SEC East. Do you want perfection or progress? We are struggling a bit right now bit we have made tremendous progress this season that is worthy of acknowledgement.

• BBNBRIAN
      5:05 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

@dcforuk – We made progress solely because of our experienced defense. Our offense is non-existent once opposing teams shut down our run game. I see us beating Middle Tenn State, but I fear Louisville may be a trap game. THEY have nothing to lose, WE will be the favorite going into a game against a team that has played half-assed ball all season long and it relatively healthy. It appears it has taken a few extra weeks for Stoops we all know and despise to appear, but what is happening now has been “par for the course” since Stoops came to Lexington – the success is an anomaly. I’ve been saying for years, I want consistency and for Stoops to lead the charge and win the games we SHOULD win. At this point it looks like most of our players are simply going through the motions and that is directly correlated with the locker room and leadership – which appears to be non-existent. I’m thankful I haven’t taken a drink of the Kool Aid because the disappointment would be too painful.

5:35 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

QOTD: “Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket – safe, dark, motionless, airless – it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation.” — C.S.
      Lewis

I get it but that is the culture of unbelief with UK football. It is also called fear which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. You call it Kool Aid which tells me you don’t believe. That is a lie when you look at what has been accomplished!

11. dcforuk
    9:30 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Do you think Stoops has demonstrated toughness? Do you think that toughness is something that you can easily turn on or off at will? Does he want to please the fans? Sure. If pleasing the fans becomes more important than the locker room then you lose both. I like that he is not afraid of conflict and that he’s not afraid to push back on fans. I like having a tough minded football coach who at times doesn’t give a flip what other people think. Was I disappointed/down about the TN game? Yep! I am pleased with the overall body of work of the season? Yep!

12. east-ky-boy
    9:45 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

The defense has put us in position to possibly win 9 games. Nothing to do with the offense. We don’t have a quarterback, we don’t know how to use what players do have other than Benny. CJ Conrad would be a stud at Wisconsin or Michigan or Florida

9:47 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Who is responsible for having a good defense?

• bigbluefan11
      9:49 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Stoops. Thus, Gran is responsible for the terrible offense

9:53 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

That would not pass logic class. It either is Stoops for both or the Coordinators for both.

• bigbluefan11
      10:00 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

My understanding is that Stoops is a defensive minded coach. And the O coordinator balances out what he isn’t known for.

10:06 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

but it could be within an overarching defense and ball control vision/strategy dictated by the coach. I don’t know definitively but it could be possible.

• east-ky-boy
      10:14 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Stoops is defensive minded. We all know that. He has put together coaches that can recruit too. That’s definitely a must. But in anything, you’re only as strong as your weakest link. Ours is the ability to put points on the board. I prefer a pro style offense BUT if done right, any offensive style can win. We have beaten ourselves so many times by dumb offensive play calling the past few years. Stoops needs to suck it up and change OC’s. What we are doing offensively isn’t working. AT ALL. We are the laughing stock of football passing wise.

• bigbluefan11
      10:22 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

dcforuk good point. Coach Stoops and Gran are rightfully getting the heat. The knee-jerk reaction is firing Gran, but as the season has gone on, it starting to look more and more like the right decision.

10:23 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

It would be foolish for me at this point to say we’re not struggling offensively so I will not do that. All I am saying is that we do not really know how much authority Gran has been given. For example I was reading a blog post the other day on KSR that referenced Gran’s statistics while at Cincinnati. It is possible that stoops has dictated quite a bit regarding style. I’m not saying changes aren’t necessary with perhaps the head coach / OC dynamic but I am saying that Stoops deserves a little bit of grace to try to figure out how to do this because I do believe he has earned it. We have made significant progress this year and Stoops deserves credit for that. The critique of the offense is also his responsibility for the aforementioned reasons. If he has dictated more from an offense perspective than the average fan is aware of, then don’t you think he would stand up for his OC strongly?

• bigbluefan11
      10:32 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, Stoop has his hands in the offense more than we probably know. But I feel like an O coordinator worth his salt would of at least changed/worked on the play calling after A&M. Not much has changed in my opinion since then. Plus, I think its important to mention that Stoops and Gran have a long history together. Which might play into Stoops having his back.

• bigbluefan11
      10:34 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

But what do I know. I’m just some guy on the internet not making $850,000 to coach offense.

10:40 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure the Athletics Dept is thinking (maybe not saying) two things: (1) we are grateful for the Season to Date success from a win/loss perspective, (2) can you help us understand how to get back to the grind it out Miss St and S.C. (1st half) games success we had offensively?

10:48 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

My take is that we all rely on the formula but has made us successful. Ever since Drew Barker went down with a back injury that formula has been running the football and eating up clock. A great defense this year contributed to the same formula. There is a reluctance to change the formula but I do think stoops really does realize that we need to be a little less predictable. For example, the triple threat position in basketball is only maximumly effective if the defender truly does believe that all three are a threat. I think the offense has been off balance since the second half of the South Carolina game because we simply just have not been as bruising in our running game for whatever reason.

13. bigblue98
    9:48 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

No problem at all with the offense, everyone just move along. Nothing to see here. Just checked the rankings and our offense is #112 out of 129 d-1 programs, so we’re the 18th worst offense in the country. The defense is #18, so the difference between the offense and defense is 94 spots. This offense is absolutely atrocious. Would love to see someone give Stoops these numbers and press for an answer. The numbers don’t lie. Fix the offense because the defense is why you’re winning games!

• bigblue98
      9:56 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Wish my boss would back me when my productivity is in the bottom 14% at work. At most jobs that gets you fired, but at Kentucky it gets you a pat on the back. Just imagine next year as the defense takes a step back, which is inevitable due to all seniors we will be losing. There will be no defense for this horrible offense to hide behind.

10:01 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

What none of us really know is how much Stoops is impacting the offense from a vision and strategy perspective. We know he likes defense and ball control. When building something as difficult as turning around a football program with a player, administration and fan culture of unbelief, do you think the primary person charged and responsible to do that wants/needs quite a bit of control.

• bigblue98
      10:18 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Agree with you – would love to know, but know they keep that in house. At some point they’re going to have to open up the offense. We can’t rely on our defense to be this good every year.

• east-ky-boy
      10:15 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

PREACH!

10:31 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I don’t disagree with that statement.

14. dcforuk
    9:51 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Offense has issues. Defense is very very good!

15. east-ky-boy
    10:20 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Us fans realize this is a chance to have a 9 win season which is historically great for us. I admit that. BUT the reason we are all frustrated is we have been hurt by ky football Soooooo many times over the years yet we still are a very hungry football fanbase. We have a lot of diehard ky football fans. This season was THE one year it coulda finally happened. And for us to blow it just because we can’t call plays is painful. The “what could have been” will hurt me and most of the fanbase for years. We legitimately coulda and shoulda won the sec east. We have the players and a great defense. A good example of the frustration is the play calling during the A and M game.

• ukcamel
      11:17 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I’m with you other than saying we should have won the East. Georgia is clearly better than us. They are better than the best version of us.

16. dcforuk
    10:27 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

The Tennessee game was my first biggest disappointment this year. That doesn’t mean I enjoyed losing at A&M; however, it still can be a very successful season and there is the reality that the grind always catches up to us. I think it truly caught up to us with the Tennessee game. There is a well-known project management quote that says your systems are perfectly designed to produce what they are producing. Stoops has had to change a whole lot of systems at one time which is not easy. He has done a remarkable job even though we do still have some offensive issues. I do go back to nine and three being a heckuva season if we can get there!

17. justgettingstartedbro
    11:19 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

The defense is starting to wear down simply because they have had to carry the load all season. You can see our defense breaking down all over the field the last few weeks. Other teams’ offenses have gradually been getting better while ours is not and since we have been so one sided we’re easy to plan for. Gran not only one to blame for offensive woes. He’s playing with a qb who can only do so much. The biggest problem is that we don’t act like we’ve been here before and we’re fine with squeaking by as long as we have a good record. As far as our offense goes I’m reminded of the great philosopher who once said “You can’t polish a turd Beavis”!

18. JASUN74
    11:24 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

There’s no doubt that IF we get nine wins this year it will have been a great season and dcforuk, you have made a lot of great points and we all do agree with what you’re saying and your thinking positive. But I do feel the frustration from a lot of guys and I’ve had some myself. And ’ this is the best we have done in the past thirty stuff’ . Is all well and good, but The team hasn’t looked good the past few weeks and even after the grind, we still are pretty healthy as a whole won’t no bad injuries and everyone is still playing. Ours past doesn’t carry a lot of weight because as you all to well know we just haven’t been a really good team. I love this team, every player out there. They have showed heart and fought so hard to get when they are but man I still know we should the A&M game, we should have won last week at Tennessee. No question about it. We should be 9-1. In my honest opinion. That doesn’t mean I don’t love this team, I do, but opportunities like we had this year don’t come around for Ky Football, often, well never. The stars we aligned for the something we would never forget and unless we fix a few things this week we will end the season at 7-6. Probably not and I’m hoping for 10-3 and I’m 100% sure we can win out but we have to score. I’m sorry everyone,, I feel like I rambled a book to just say we need to play better on the offensive end. I still do agree with what your saying dcforuk, I just Honestly feel like we can be and should be a top 5-6 team in the country, year in and year out, with a shot at the playoffs. Even with our history, we have just as much right to greatness as any other school in the country and I think Coach Stoops is the man to take us there. I just hope they can figure it out. Either way I am and will always be a Kentucky fan. Now let’s go and win out.

19. cats646
    11:26 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

FIRE EDDIE GRAN!!!!

20. GregoryEarl
    5:46 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Well you can lead a horse to water but…….. if it’s a stubborn horse…….

21. DirtyDave
    7:13 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Dorth…. maybe you should try and unseat the athletic director….. more likely than not you just really like hearing yourself rattle on!

22. makeitstop
    7:43 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Wow that was a depressing article. I hope it doesn’t accurately reflect his state of mind, because I’d characterize that as 1) stop complaining, you’ve sucked for years and should be grateful we’re winning at all; 2) we will win the next two games bc we were better the first half of the season than these two teams no matter how bad we have been the last 5 weeks on offense; 3) I’m changing no personnel but we will throw some long incompletions or interceptions w our can’t-read-the-D QB so u stop complaining then I can point out how dumb y’all are while I spruce up my resume and get ready to lose the music city bowl (again).

• makeitstop
      7:55 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Btw if we are in the bottom 15% offensively for the season, and we were average halfway through this schedule, we must’ve been the very worst offense in America, statistically not just hyperbole, the last 5 games. It’s not 2-3 plays buddy. U don’t “tweak” the worst anything u change it. It’s not panic to say we have been the very worst offense in the country against some mediocre D (TN and UM) and it requires more than just “trying harder” and “better blocks.” We may need both but that doesn’t make that the root cause: it’s the playbook u could fit on an airline safety briefing that is costing u. “We have four plays, 2 to the front and 2 to the rear. In the very likely event of emergency find number 26 or run around and collapse before the nearest defender while making sure to leave all ur belongings behind.”

5:19 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

We have sucked or been very average for years! Let’s let the final two weeks play out. When was the last 9 win regular season? 1977! When was the last 8 win regular season? 1984!

5:22 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Said differently or said another way or in other words, if we win just one of the final two regular season games, then it will be the most regular season wins since 1984. If we win both it will be the best since 1977.

5:28 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

One more thing. Before you start comparing 12 game regular-season schedules that began in 2002 with 11 game regular-season schedules, let me save you a little bit of research because since 1984 there was only one season that Kentucky had seven regular season victories under the old 11 game schedule and that was with a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback. Put on those glasses of perspective for a minute. It is uncomfortable to put on another person’s glasses. It feels weird and looks odd and hurts the eyes. However, it is necessary to gain some perspective!

23. kjd
    8:24 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Does Gran have free reign with play calling?
    Was it a bad play call, or did QB check out of the right call?
    Was it right play call, but poor execution ( poor blocking, poor throw, dropped pass, QB didn’t see open WR, etc)?
    A lot of things factor in to the offense. I don’t think the coaches have a lot of faith in our QBs. That changes play calling.
    Wilson does a poor job of throwing the ball when he needs to. He waits too long to let it go. Freddie Maggard calls it throwing the receiver open.
    O line has been struggling. You can’t run the ball with the box loaded, and you can’t clear the box out if you can’t pass.
    We need a quality QB first thing. We dummed down our offense because of personnel. Tennessee coach told his team he not changing his offense it defense. He expects his players to elevate their game. Of course, he’s working with better talent.

24. bige
    8:42 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Nice season thus far.
    OC got too confident in the early season running success and got predictable.
    Conrad could be an All America if utilized properly.
    Wilson needs a lot of work. He looks like Johnson from last year, slow and indecisive, when he’s an elite athlete/QB.
    This isn’t a scheme problem as much as it’s on the QB coach. QB coach gets the QB to the point where the OC is confident to call certain plays. Need a QB coach with NFL experience.

• kjd
      10:37 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Wilson is athletic, but what have you seen that makes him an elite QB?
      Is it his inaccuracy? Late throws? Poor with RPO?
      Please enlighten me.

• bige
      12:26 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

You’re right, meant more that he is an elite athlete first and QB second.
      He’s an elite talent which is why UK needs a top notch QB coach. Johnson, Barker and now Wilson have never improved while at UK. I am glad Wilson still has two years but he needs better coaching. The decent game here and there by the QB position has kept fans on the hook but this is a deeper problem than just poor play calling or talent.

25. UKfansNKY
    9:09 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been an BIG BLUE FAN all of my life and will ALWAYS be, but some of you KY Fans are complete dumb asses! GO CATS!!!

26. Marc
    10:33 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I shaking up the offense isn’t a good idea, what is staying with the same offense that hasn’t worked for the last 5 games?

27. SGD
    10:40 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Gran had to dumb down the offense because Terry Turnover could handle the RPO. The offense has been stuck there ever since. We got Florida early and they did not have it together yet. Wilson has gotten steadily worse, he is not a threat to the defense. He won’t run, won’t pass an out pattern until the receiver is almost out ofbounds, takes a sack rather than throw it away. He pads his stats when the other team is in a prevent defense. Our QB is holding the team back just as much if not more than Gran.

28. JoshtheCATSfan
    10:48 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

So we have 2 very winnable games in which the defense should dominate. Stoops is obviously inept when it comes to offense and the staff does not have anyone else that can call the games. At least give Danny Clark a chance and see what he may bring to the table next year. We will not have the luxury of this defense next year so we need to know where we stand with the QB situation. After the season fire Gran and Hinshaw. Hire an OC that actually wants to throw the ball and create offense much like Brohm did at WKU. Running the ball only works when you have superior talent year in and out like Alabama. UK has to have a high powered offense if we want to stay competitive in the SEC for years to come or it is right back to the bottom of the EAST. Mark my words!!!!!!

29. MadScientist
    11:10 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Potential is the key word Coach, but the numbers are misleading. Aside from the Miss St win the offense has looked sluggish. Yes you beat Florida away, a tremendous win, but you looked anemic against Vandy and Missouri. I don’t think Gran knows how to use the players he has, it can’t just be hand the ball to Benny. QB draws, short passes and play action need to be included. Stop trying to throw 25+ yards, that’s not who you are! Quick reads, play with tempo and let Wilson feel comfortable. Yes he has to play better and stop taking those 7+ yard sacks, but ask why he’s in the pocket that long to begin. He’s a mobile threat, move the pocket and let him run some. All you need is 3-4 yards at a time, stay in front of the chains and control the ball and clock. You can’t loose to Tennessee after the year they’ve had and you damn sure can’t loose to Louisville. Don’t finish the season on another whimper.

30. KYFAN4LYFE
    12:21 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

If you don’t win the last 2 games, it effectively wipes out the wins over UF and MSU…which are already lower-quality wins now, than they were at the time. 9-3 or BUST.

5:13 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

If it’s in buts were candy and nuts we could have one heck of a party!

31. catsfan1983
    12:21 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Who gets the blame when the team finishes 7-5? It could very well happen with the way the team is regressing. This team would already have 9 wins if it had even an average offense.

5:10 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Don’t fast forward two weeks. Neither should Stoops but when you are constantly attacked there comes some sort of breaking point of frustration. His shoulders are broad. That quote that I have quoted several times on this blog applies not only to fans but to stoops as well: “impression without expression leads to depression”. I think he probably feels like a certain percentage of the Fanbase believes we have had zero success and I think he also feels that a certain percentage of the Fanbase attributes none of our success to him. I personally think that both of those conclusions would be wise but I can certainly understand is frustration when you pour your heart out and do something. That does not mean the offense is not currently in a rut. It does mean that we should not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn’t have to do it!

5:12 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

“Lies” not “Wise”. The dictation feature on my iPhone is like me (and many of you too!) at home……Not a very good listener

32. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:22 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Stoops just proved it’s not Gran it’s him. When a coach accepts something but won’t apologize 90% of the time it’s usually his fault. Time to fire the recruiter(because that’s all Stoops is) and promote an interim HC. Our defense wasn’t good till House and people our correct in saying how good Gran was at UC. I wanted to blame him to but Stoops just called himself out.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      2:22 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Are correct

5:04 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Don’t undervalue what was/is required to overcome a powerful culture of unbelief. You need someone who has administrative skills as well as football/coaching skills and someone who is tough-minded. UK basketball’s historical excellence has made us (me included) UK fans demanding. The combo of a sometimes reasonable/sometimes unreasonable expectation of football excellence combined with a deeply held belief that it cannot happen here is a negative concoction that squashes many precious coaches. I love Stoops’ attitude sticking it back to us. It’s that attitude that is necessary to overcome years of unbelief. He also is quick to point out the need for excitement at the fanbase level. Coming back to Louisville from the Miss St game I listened to him call in on the 84WHAS post game call in show. He was extremely thankful and appreciative. We are in a rut. No question. I consider myself a good and faithful employee and hard worker with good knowledge but I get in ruts, too! It’s ok to be frustrated (with the offense) but I really don’t think it is reasonable not to call the season a success right now. We have had success and Stoops deserves credit for that IM (not so humble) O!

5:05 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Previous NOT precious!

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      6:02 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Except it has been the same old same o losing culture. Stoops doesn’t understand what it takes to turn the corner to become a true winning team. With the talent we’ve had we should be better but Stoops won’t cut loose and allow us to win. Brooks with this talent would have been at worse a 1 loss team and won more games last year.

33. dcforuk
    4:04 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

IDK. Maybe, maybe not. That’s like saying Pitino would or would not have won the title in 1998 had he not left for Boston. We could argue about that for days but there is no definitive answer!