Mandel picks Gator Bowl for Kentucky

Kentucky hopes to make a fourth consecutive bowl game this upcoming season, and most college football pundits believe Mark Stoops and his Cats will be back in the postseason in 2019.

Stewart Mandel is one of those pundits. The editor over at The Athletic’s college football division released his bowl projections today and he has Kentucky going back to Florida this January. Mandel projects it will be the Wildcats and the Wisconsin Badgers in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl. That’s the same TaxSlayer Bowl we attended in 2016 when Stoops earned his first bowl bid as a head coach and the program’s first bowl game since the 2010 season. (It did not go so well, you may recall.)

This season’s TaxSlayer Gator Bowl will be played on January 2 in Jacksonville.

Mandel has nine other SEC teams in postseason play with two — Alabama and Georgia — in the College Football Playoff yet again. Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Arkansas aren’t going bowling in his predictions; neither is Missouri because the Tigers are ineligible, no matter how things go in the regular season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Mandel picks Gator Bowl for Kentucky

1. DelrayCat
    7:36 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Can’t read the article due to paywall, but I’d assume he’s thinking UK will be about 8-4.
    Not a bad guess…but it can be better if Wilson is spectacular, have no more major injuries, and the secondary is at least adequate. Could be worse if Terry goes down…much worse.

2. mashburnfan1
    8:40 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Don’t count out Smith if something {lets hope it don’t} happens to TW. Also Gator Bowl, while ok, would be a disappointment. I would hope we get Outback, Orange, Cotton or if all is right in the world a playoff in Peach or Fiesta.

• imabucket
      11:16 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

I agree mashburn. If we win the games we are supposed to win and then one of the games against miss st and South Carolina , it’d put us at nine wins. That’s also with us beating Missouri at Kroger field .And we could very easily get to ten wins as welll if we beat both of south Caroline an miss st . Only losses would be to Florida at home and Georgia away .
      Lo

• dbcline1
      4:11 am August 24, 2019 Permalink

10 wins is very possible IMO! I think we’re gonna beat UF again this year! If our secondary holds up we will have another great year!!!! I’m calling another 10’win season!

3. straight facts
    12:09 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

I would love to see us go to a New Years six bowl, but it all relays on if terry Wilson decides to step up! Which I think he will! I project a 9-3 season.

4. notFromhere
    1:55 pm August 23, 2019 Permalink

I’ve got my sights set on the CFP title. Gotta aim for it or you’ll never hit it. Really want to see this team play at least 14 games this season at least. Got to get and stay healthy, but I like my team