Making The Case For Patience

stoops-patience

There is a portion of the Kentucky football fan base that is ready to pull the plug on the Mark Stoops era. It is not a large portion of the fan base, but it does exist. I’ve read the comments. I’ve seen the tweets. I’ve heard the radio calls. I’ve even been within earshot of some real life, face-to-face conversations and debates. There are people out there, believe it or not, who truly think it is time for Mark Stoops to go.

To those people, I simply say: Stop. Just stop.

Calling for Mark Stoops’ head is ridiculous. Have some patience for crying out loud. This is Kentucky football, not basketball. The program has been a bottom-feeder since the beginning of time. Dinosaurs used to hammer Mississippi State to cover the spread each year. Cavemen would put all of their sticks and stones and bones on the under for Kentucky football wins in a season. It has been this way forever, so why are some fans putting the team on a pedestal now? Why, all of the sudden, are expectations through the roof for a program that reaches a bowl game at the same rate I wash my bedsheets?

As a fan base, Big Blue Nation is guilty of overrating its own team right now. A lot of us have forgotten our hope and expectation prior to the start of the season: reach a bowl game. And a bowl game is still very much in reach. Those eight- and nine-win season predictions were always a little farfetched. Reality is, this was always a six- or seven-win team at best. The early season success with a win at South Carolina and a close game with Florida threw everyone off a little bit and we set the bar too high. It’s time we reel it back in and remember: this is Kentucky football, a program trying to build a foundation it’s never had.

The problem with the current mood is too many people are quick to forget this is a long process. It’s not a quick turnaround by any means. It’s not basketball, where you hire a John Calipari and sign a John Wall and a DeMarcus Cousins and all is right in the world. Football takes several years to turn around, especially for a program that never had success to begin with.

Let’s use fat people, for example:

Kentucky football is the ‘Before’ photo in P90x commercials. It has been fat its whole life; living on a Mountain Dew-stained couch in its basement, surrounded by broken dreams and wadded up tissues full of its own tears and shame, watching all of its athletic, handsome friends crush life. Then one day, it got a little confidence because someone at the grocery asked, “Have you lost a weight?” — when in reality, it dropped like five pounds because it switched from soft drinks to diet green tea because the internet said diet green tea speeds up metabolism. So now it’s down a couple pounds and got a little confidence, but it is still overweight. Not as fat as it once was, but still not the ‘After’ picture.

I don’t really know where I am going with this analogy, but I think I’m trying to say: Kentucky football fans want the chiseled abs without eating salads and running the neighborhood every night. They want the ‘Before’ to become the ‘After’ immediately. They want instant results, and there’s no liposuction for a college football program.

Kentucky football is the guy on the left, always has been. Let’s have some patience and put in the work to be more like the guy on the right. (But not as creepy looking.)

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 1.02.10 PM

Okay, that’s plenty of chest hair and weight loss references for this conversation, let’s talk numbers…

Remember Rich Brooks?

Of course you do. He gave us the best years of our Kentucky football lives, just not too long ago. Brooks coached the Cats to four consecutive bowl games and the program’s only two eight-win seasons of the modern era. Not to mention, several memories with wins over top-ranked LSU and Stevie gettin’ loose to upset ninth-ranked Louisville. Those were the good times.

But do you remember Rich Brooks’ first three years?

Fans were begging for him to go after seasons of four, two and three wins to begin his UK career:

Rich Brooks’ First Three Seasons
2003: 4-8 (1-7)
2004: 2-9 (1-7)
2005: 3-8 (2-6)

Mitch Barnhart stuck with him, however, and asked fans to do the same. That very next year, Brooks’ Wildcats defeated Clemson in the 2006 Music City Bowl, Kentucky’s first bowl game since 1999, to complete an 8-5 year. Kentucky would reach four more bowl games to make five straight; four under Brooks and one under Joker Phillips, Brooks’ successor.

But many fans wanted him fired after three seasons. Wouldn’t that’ve been a mistake?

Here’s another argument for giving Mark Stoops more time:

Kentucky sucked when he took over. I mean that exactly how I wrote it. With all due respect to Joker, who I like, Kentucky wasn’t just a bad football team in his final year; Kentucky sucked. As one SEC assistant coach told KSR after Mark Stoops’ first year, Stoops took over the least-talented team in FBS football. Not just one of the worst, this coach told us it was the single worst roster of the 128 programs in the nation. That, alone, should give Stoops a little extra leeway in rebuilding his personnel, which he has done better than anyone thus far. Kentucky’s first three recruiting classes under Mark Stoops are the three best in school history. And again, it takes time in football; John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins can’t throw on a uniform and make you good. Football players need years to grow and develop, and the youth on Mark Stoops’ roster looks promising. Give these guys time to become juniors and seniors.

With all that said, the lack of competing the last four weeks is concerning. As I defend Stoops and trust he’ll do better over time, his team can’t have another showing against Vanderbilt like the piss poor performances it gave the last four weeks. Let’s be realistic, Kentucky wasn’t going to win any of the last four games, outside of a possible upset over a very bad Auburn team. (Remember, we’re still fat.) But fans expected more than what they got out of the Wildcats. Whether it’s a personnel, a coaching, a morale, an execution or a whatever-else problem, the problem needs to be fixed to continue on the upward climb of building a winning program.

Moving forward with this year, there is still a legitimate chance of putting together a successful season. Kentucky can still win out to complete a 7-5 regular season. If it is able to do that, we will look back and laugh at the conversations and radio calls over these last few weeks. A 7-5 season would be outstanding for Stoops in Year 3 and the four-week stretch of ass-kickings would quickly be forgotten. Even a 6-6 season is a huge success at Kentucky, whether you’re willing to admit that or not.

Can we talk numbers again? Digest these then I’m done…

— In the last 30 years, Kentucky has had only six winning regular seasons. SIX IN THIRTY YEARS. Win out for a seventh winning season at 7-5, or drop a game and finish at 6-6 for only the 10th season at .500 or better. Hell, a 5-7 year is still about average around here.

— In the last 30 years, Kentucky has been to eight bowl games. As mentioned above, four of the eight came in Rich Brooks’ last four seasons, with another in Joker Phillips’ first year, following Brooks’ retirement. Kentucky hadn’t won a bowl game since 1984, prior to the ‘FIRE RICH BROOKS’ campaign.

— Since the SEC went to East and West divisions in 1992, Kentucky has finished fourth in the East only five timesA win over Vanderbilt locks up fourth place for the sixth time in the history of the division. Only once has Kentucky done better than fourth, when it finished third with a 6-6 overall record in a down year for the conference in 1993.

See? It may seem bad right now coming off the last few weeks, but it’s really no different than what it has always been, if not better. This is far from a down period for Kentucky football.

Be patient, Big Blue Nation.

relaaax

Relaaax…

Article written by Drew Franklin

67 Comments for Making The Case For Patience

1. UK Big Board Update
    8:05 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Nice work, Drew. It’s what some of BBN needed to hear. Thank you….

• Booby Petrino
      9:01 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

So I hadn’t been on here today until now. I saw some of tent craziness that went down earlier. Holy smokes. Do you think LDS is still sitting at the Bardstown Lowes lol Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€š

• Booby Petrino
      9:01 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

*the craziness, not tent craziness… Swipe text problems

• Long Dong Silver
      9:31 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Nope. That chickenshit didn’t show. Chicken. Shit.

9:34 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I know. What a loser.

Be careful, though – you responding to me is gonna make him think we are the same person!! LOL

9:35 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Oops, nevermind. He must have just gotten off his shift from the Long John Silver’s next to the Lowes in Bardstown! Hahahaha!!

• Long Dong Silver
      9:40 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, UKBBU is such a funny coward!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

• Long Dong Silver
      9:41 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

P*ssy won’t back up that big d*vk sucker he is always running. Chicken shit. Thats UKBBU.

• Long Dong Silver
      9:44 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

You threatened to bust my knees with a ball bat and wouldn’t back it up. That’s about as low as it gets. Good night, coward.

1:31 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Sorry, I don’t beat up on retards.

1:33 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I hope your life gets better, cats paw. πŸ˜‰

1:57 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I’m serious – get help.

• Long Dong Silver
      8:07 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

So, the sniveling coward returns hours later to get the last word? I think you need help. You’re the one who threatened me. I called you, and you backed down. Coward.

2. chimichanga
    8:11 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I have faith in Coach Stoops. Setbacks happen and it’s frustrating, but that doesn’t negate the progress that has been made the past few years.

• cats paw
      11:10 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

This all sounds great! Until he happens to win 7 or 8 games and is on the first train out of town!

12:47 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

At least he won’t embarrass our school by having affairs, wrecking his motorcycle and recruiting criminals. πŸ˜‰

3. nybrasky
    8:12 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Oh man, I agree but I’m gonna get my popcorn and watch the comment section meltdown…

• theSkinny81
      8:13 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Man, you ain’t kidding. Wait for it………………….

4. theSkinny81
    8:14 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Well said Drew. I don’t get why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

• cats paw
      11:12 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know why either…could it be 30 yrs of hearing homers saying “give it time”?

• J-Dub421
      10:02 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Has Coach Stoops been here for 30 years? I thought it was only his third season….

5. @sethlieber
    8:23 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Always have felt good with Stoops. Not Dawson.

• Poppschmidty
      8:34 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

It’s only been a handful of games with Dawson…chill.

• @sethlieber
      3:10 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

And a handful is all it took to know that he isn’t good…sooooo chill.

6. FunkyMonkey
    8:23 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I believe in Coach Stoops, but just not Shannon Dawson.,…. and we need a Special Teams coach,… prolly Dawson works with them mostly too,…

7. uk-blue
    8:26 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

All very good points, but to play devils advocate; just because our program has a history of mediocrity doesn’t mean we should be satisfied with that. I think many people would want to see a dramatic improvement to our program. It definitely takes time, but it’s very frustrating as a fan to see us constantly struggling to finish out drives, games, and even seasons.

• theSkinny81
      8:41 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Going from back-to-back 2-10 seasons to a possible 7-5 in 36 months, in the SEC, most would consider a fairly dramatic improvement.

• uk-blue
      9:02 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

“Possible” is the key word here though because it’s just as possible we go 4-8 as it is we go 7-5. That’s what’s frustrating with this program is the potential is there, but we somehow keep falling short. This is mainly just me blowing off steam though, and I can’t wait to get out there against Vandy and shut the haters up though!

1:56 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

It wasn’t “possible” to go 7-5 just two years ago. We’ve been the doormat for decades – let’s at least GET to mediocre before we start proclaiming ourselves the rightful heir the the SEC East throne.

8. Leuther
    8:28 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

You make some very good points, Drew. Good post…

9. bluegrassstu
    8:30 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Stoops needs 5 years. The program has been bottom feeders for a very long time. The talent is better and the depth is getting better. The SEC is a tough conference. There are currently 4 teams is the top 25 which is just a bit less than the Big 10. Stoops i feel is going to make UK a good football team. Future recruits need to see stable coaching staffs, changing coaches every couple years is not a good thing. We need to support Coach Stoops and be patient. GO CATS!!!!!!

• @BallBlog_Chad
      11:39 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

it does take that kind of time to stagger recruit the trenches, redshirt and develop guys so that you can compete at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball … right now we have a few playmakers here and there and they have the ability to get hot and win a game, but consistency comes from experience and depth starting with those near the ball and working your way out

our coaching staff needs the extra practices that come with a bowl game as much as the players … with the guys we’re losing on defense from last year and this year Stoops and Eliot had really be ready to put out a young defense next year

I think Barker needs to start against Vandy … in the last 3 games, Towles has thrown 1 td and 5 int, it’s not all on him, but that is bad and he’s in the home stretch of his junior year … he was average against lesser competition and bad against SEC

10. keiths
    8:34 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

been hear that same “be patient” shit for 50 years….

8:53 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Stick to basketball then – we are pretty awesome at that. πŸ˜‰

11. leon singleton
    8:47 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Drew Barker is our future

12. Saul T. Nuts
    8:54 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

It needed to be said…nice job Drew

13. Craig Sagers Suits
    9:24 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Drew, as nice as your argument is about showing patience with the football team is, let us not forget that it was KSR and other local media outlets that are the ones who told BBN and everybody for that matter that the football team looked great and better than ever during the spring and summer camps. It is actually said for that matter by this wonderful website every year and on the radio.

This team gets over-hyped every year and out of all the posters here, I was the only one to have the balls to come forward and say not so fast before the season started. I got vilified for it and still am looking for my apology on a bet made by a fellow poster who called for 8 games won, regular season. I also recall saying let’s take a wait and see what happens approach prior to the season too because several posters on here also called for 8 as well. When it comes to UK Football, sadly, I can’t get excited because I know it’s going to be another year of disappointment.

I’m sorry but I’m not a Stoops believer as of yet. Do I see improvement? Sure, but that doesn’t mean I have to get excited about it. 6-6 is way better than 2-10 and when things improve from there, we’ll see what happens.

• Long Dong Silver
      9:37 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I recall your stance, and the beating you took. Time has proven you correct. I think most of us are just so aggravated as to how things have transpired. The quit in this team, the lack of competitiveness. The cheerleaders of this site won’t ever see reality. I would love to see Stoops become the next Nick Saban, and lead us to geeatness. At this point, that doesn’t seem likely.

9:39 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

LOL! Next Nick Saban…..

• Long Dong Silver
      10:11 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Lololollololololololololollololollllollololololol you are too funny chicken shit!!!

11:00 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Whatever you say cats paw the troll. πŸ˜‰

14. empiremaker
    9:31 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I really want a win at Vandy, patience might be running thin otherwise. More security, more negativity, more everything will be fired at the football program . Matt asked a fair question the other day, to which there was a hostile response even though coach did not remember what play was questioned. I beg to differ, but nevertheless moving forward win out rest of the season which is entirely doable. I fear that our team’s physiology is beyond repair add lack of identity and we have a recipe for disaster..

15. Jiminy Crickets
    9:32 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

ahhhh….spoken like a true sell-out. Where is drunk drew’s post after the GA game calling UK “bad football, and something needs to get fixed”?

Now, with that said NO ONE with any reason should be calling for Stoops job, but we as a fan base have every right to not be happen with what has happen in the last 4 games (yes including EKU). Must I remind everyone the reason the fan base was hyped was because Stoops told us “we are a much better football team” and Dawson saying “I have never coached this much talent or this good of a WR group as this one”. It was Mark Stoops that walked off the field after beating a terrible South Carolina team and yelled “were just getting started, bro”. It was Towles on Feinbaun saying he was setting his sights on Atlanta. It was KSR calling for Towles as a NFL prospect.

Now, we get the administration and Mark Stoops personally asked you to “rally the BBN”, but we are tired of talk with this program, and want to see a competitive product. No real UK fan expects to win at MIss St. Only one year have we beaten Tenn so most don’t expect a win there either. Not to mention beating a bad GA team in Athens is difficult, but to watch that team have no will, no drive and no fight, is unacceptable.

I think Stoops deserves 5 years, no doubt, but he now has to prove to BBN that he is the man, the honeymoon phase ended. We dont want hype videos, we want to see a good, competitive football team

16. Tej
    9:34 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I think 90% of UK Football fans believe just what Drew has written. There is that vocal minority that is negative and that is unfortunately heard above the rest of the BBN. So many fansfailed to realize how bad the program had sunk before Coach Stoops was hired. The number of teams able to make a quick turnaround are few. That just doesn’t happen in the SEC especially with the players we had at the end of Joker’s tenure. Let’s win at Vandy Saturday.

17. bigblueforever
    9:55 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

It’s actually better? After three straight beat downs and near losses to EKU and LL, it doesn’t feel better…. but if you say so.

I will be more patient. Giving this program 40 years really isn’t much time and being that UK of only two D1 schools to not win 9 games in a season over the last 25 years is actually a blessing. I will be more patient and hope I dont die before we finally turn this thing around. Which we won’t ….uh … I mean will. Next year. If not then, then next next year.

As a sign of my remorse be being so selfish, I am starting a push to hang an “2015 SEC East 3rd runner up/ Just Gettin Started” banner in CW. Please join me in this worthy cause.

• Long Dong Silver
      10:12 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

We’re just getting started bro!!!

18. timer2
    10:40 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

if the players don’t care, why should the fans?

19. 2thepoint
    10:41 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

The writers on the site continually put forth articles to get comments just as Drew did today. He knows they are guilty of over-hyping UK teams, all of them. They write an article as the one today long on print to say Stoops needs 5 years which is true. Yes, he inherited the worst team in division 1 football. I remember when those of us who wanted change were called many names and we weren’t true fans, but now Joker is rightly thrown under the bus, by the same writers.

Also, if anybody really thinks there are only a small minority of fans who are upset they are drinking something much stronger than kool-aid. Coaches know it too.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:09 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Excellent. Very well said.

1:52 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

This is a UK FAN SITE. Of course there’s gonna be some over-hype and optimism – that is what fans do. You ever watch a mid-major team play, and then the camera pans the student section, and all the kids are holding up their first finger, screaming “Number 1, whoo!!!”, when in actuality, their team is ranked like 77th in the nation? Yeah, that’s what fans do. I guess you probably hate that. Them having fun and all….

“They write an article as the one today long on print to say Stoops needs 5 years which is true. Yes, he inherited the worst team in division 1 football. I remember when those of us who wanted change were called many names and we weren’t true fans, but now Joker is rightly thrown under the bus, by the same writers.”

If he needs 5 years, then why are bitching now? He’s only 3 years in. You’re already throwing him under the bus, like he’s Joker. Shouldn’t he be allowed two more years before you consider making a change?

I know LDS doesn’t actually comprehend what you wrote (I mean, he works in a fast food joint), but do you even realize what you said? You contradicted yourself in three or four sentences….

2:08 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I mean, you did say “he inherited the worst team in division 1 football”…. You expect him to turn this thing around in just three years? No, you said “Stoops needs 5 years which is true”.

This isn’t basketball. This is football. It takes time to build a quality, 100-man roster with talent AND depth. Especially in the SEC. He’s only recruited 72 players since he’s been here, and guess what, they ain’t all 4 and 5 stars. Its still Kentucky – not Alabama, or Notre Dame, or Ohio State…. but he’s done the best in my lifetime, which goes back 30+ years, when it comes to recruiting.

PATIENCE.

• Long Dong Silver
      8:10 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Big board child molester, yes I know about that…you need to retire. Everyone on this site is tired of your cowardly chicken shit child molesting ass.

11:48 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Stay on topic, dumbass….

20. whatwasthat
    11:24 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

If we lose to vandy, then the season will be lost, but I still think the future looks better. No I don’t think 9 or more win seasons are around the corner, but we have all seen the skill position personnel improve greatly. I urge all the KY fans, nothing we can do about the trolls that live on this board, just to look at any good SEC teams depth chart and you will find juniors and seniors, probably redshirt. My point is we are expecting boys to compete against men, we will lose that battle almost every time, and our juniors and seniors on the line on both sides of the ball are just not as talented as the people they are up against, at least not yet. Elam is a perfect example of a high school kid who by no means was ready to play in the SEC or any major conference, if he had gone to Alabama he would have been a automatic redshirt, hell he may have never seen the field until his redshirt junior or senior season and only then if he got into playing shape. Alabama doesn’t have one d- lineman listed at over 315 pounds on first string. Elam will never be a factor unless he takes it upon himself to get into shape, lose weight and get stronger. Think all the football fans are frustrated, and think some on here are right about Barker, not saying he should start, but what if he played and did look much better than Patrick. That scenario would be tough to explain. Go Cats.

21. cats42301
    12:22 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

UK was still under reduced scholarship probation when Brooks started. It wasn’t so much the W’s and L’s as it was having JLo running the option, lining him up at WR and benching him in favor of Boyd for a few games. The problem was Ron Hudson once he was gone things slowly improved. Brooks turned UK into a bowl team and a team that beat the eventual nation champs with once again reduced scholarships and on paper lesser recruits than we have gotten the last 3 years. Stoops has had no reduced scholarships gotten pretty much everything he has wanted and we haven’t played a complete game at all in year 3 and have seen a return to scores close to the Curry shellackings in the 90’s. Progression is all I ask and as of this moment there hasn’t been much to speak of. Right now in the grand scheme of things and being realistic losses wouldn’t be bad if we were competitive but near the end of year 3 getting blown out 3 times is unacceptable especially when it looks like the team has quit on Stoops at times.My personal time table says bowl game this year, and by the end of year 5 being competitive in every game with possibly 8+ wins depending on schedule difficulty. If we are still were we are not in 2 years time is up. Curry got 8 years and that was 3 too long. We don’t need to do that again. I’ve said it before and I will say it once more if Memphis can have a year like they are having even with the loss to Navy then there is no reason we shouldn’t be expecting at bare minimum competitiveness in every game. Yes Memphis isn’t SEC but they whipped Ole Miss who whipped alabama and if they played us right now they would whip us im sure. The only way for coaches to silence a critical fan base is to win, you aren’t going to do it by asking the local sports radio host to rally the troops. If the team wants 100% dedication from the fan base then show us 60 minutes of playing with enthusiasm and fire and not quitting even if you are behind then most will support you 100% but it’s hard for fans to sit and support a team during a game where they have quit playing and don’t seem to care whether they win or lose

22. kentuckyrld
    1:58 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Typical article written by a typical UK mouthpiece. What needs to be understood is that people want a change in the coaching not because this coach has failed to win a specific number of games. That really has nothing to do with it. People want a new coach because Mr. Stoops has not shown that he as the ability to coach a team in the SEC. His failure to hire assistant coaches who can properly manage a game and his failure to put the best team available on the field are just two examples of his current failures and what I would guess to be his failures in the future. In addition he has made no adjustments this season to change the direction of this team. Not to mention the fact that his teams play with no motivation. I say cut your losses while you can and hire someone new.

2:09 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I bet you were on the FIRE RICH BROOKS campaign too, huh?

23. Art Vandalay
    7:09 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

My frustration with this team has been related to the fact that although Auburn, GA, and FL had more talent and depth we rolled over and died. We gave these games away. Had we fought hard and come up short due to less talent/depth I would have been at peace with the outcome.

I think its ridiculous to think Stoops shoulf be fired. Absolutely ridiculous. But thst doesnt mean I’m not going to feel frustrsted with the lack of effort and how we lost those games.

I’m glad i dont have to watch Fred Tiller get torched for 3 TD’s every Saturday but I expect more from the talent we do have, especially when its obvious that we do have the talent to compete with most of these teams.

24. Poppschmidty
    8:30 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been saying this all season; IT TAKES TIME! I’m glad we competed, and won, some games we wouldn’t have been close in the past on, but our weaknesses still came through in those games. Stoops is the right fit for us, and Dawson is in his first year here. Special teams needs a ton of work. Remember when we used to put playmakers back there on kickoffs and punts? Now we put freshman and people that need playing time, but don’t really deserve it yet. I’m sure a special teams coach will be hired in the off season. As for the shit storm that’s happened in the comment section I can only equal that to a nerd fight that 2 people grew internet balls for a day.

25. Megan
    8:45 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

There have been some pretty harsh articles about our football program from the KSR crew in recent weeks, from Freddie in particular. So Drew shouldn’t be surprised that it has inflamed a portion of BBN. We could have used articles like this at the beginning of the season when expectations were high. Let’s not pretend KSR had nothing to do with the fallout.

• Poppschmidty
      8:46 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Very true as far as some of the negative articles, but lets not forget that this is blog site with opinions of writers. It’s our job to make up our own mind.

26. sylvar
    8:52 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

You can’t have it both ways Drew. KSR has been responsible for over-hyping the football team every year. Whipping BBN into a frenzy of expectation. While I agree with your main point, YOU don’t get to tell anybody to be patient .

27. Howdy Doody
    9:27 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

Drew, TRUST me. You will be doing the SAME song and dance at age 65 that you are engaged in now.
    A LOT of us have been waiting patiently for 60 years for UK Football to live up to the hype that people like KSR have been blowing smoke to the loyal fans.
    Get over your self kid. We have heard it ALL before. And I for one am not a Blue Koolaid drinker anymore. After 60 years I have Blue Sugar Diabetes for UK Football.
    Just one old geezers opinion.

28. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    10:21 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

James Franklin didn’t need several years…..

29. msnthrop
    10:38 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

I’d think the structure of Coach Stoops contract would be relevant to any discussion of being patient with the teams progress. I seem to recall that if he is fired before December of 2017 then he still gets 100% of his contracted pay, after then he gets 80% of what is left. The next break is November of 2018, when, if he is fired after that date then he gets 60% of his remaining contracted pay. I suppose the football program brings in so much money that is doesn’t matter if were paying a current coach and a former coach (Joker was still getting paid until last year I think…), but you don’t want to see a situation like say the Sacto Kings who are paying at least two former coaches with another on the hotseat.

30. kybigblue
    2:45 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

You are right it is Ky. FB not BB. In BB we hire a coach with experience as a head coach but not the last two times in FB. With that said Stoops still needs to be given a minimum of four years even if this was one of the easiest schedules we have had or will have for sometime. The east is down and we had 8 games at home. I am still waiting for him to pull his first upset. He has only beaten teams he was suppose to beat. 78 teams out of 128 go to the playoffs or a bowl so that should be doable since it only takes a 6-6 record. UT has a 3rd year coach and they certainly are well ahead of us in rebuilding. Hopefully Vandy with a second year coach wouldn’t beat us Sat.

• theSkinny81
      3:23 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

Butch Jones at UT has won 5 more games in us in the same time, with better classes and a roster not full of division 2 players…

And you act like we can’t get to 6-6. We still have three winnable games left on the schedule. People talk about this team giving up, but it sounds like the fans have given up first.