Lynn Bowden tells the real story behind the fight at the Belk Bowl

During his appearance on this morning’s Kentucky Sports Radio, Lynn Bowden gave us the real story behind the pregame scuffle at the Belk Bowl. After the game, Bowden apologized for throwing a punch at a Virginia Tech player in warmups, but after hearing his side, tensions were so high that week that an incident may have been inevitable.

The bad blood first popped up on our radar when a Virginia Tech player posted a video of some trash talk between the two teams at an event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway on Saturday. Bowden said it started way before that.

It was just a whole buildup. Ever since we got there, those guys were chirping at us,” he said. “We would go out, ride on the Lime scooters, the Bird scooters, and they would see us and they would say something to us. Me — everybody, they’re going to talk, you know — I’m letting it go.”

On the Instagram video from the race track, you can see Bowden and a group of four or five other Kentucky players walking. According to Bowden, what you can’t see is the entire Virginia Tech team behind the camera, making it 175 to five.

“So, we get to the NASCAR [track], and it’s me, AJ [Rose], Josh [Ali], [Kavosiey] Smoke, and Isaiah Epps. Us five or six, we’re walking. We’re staggered. Our whole team is already up there but we’re lagging behind. It’s their whole team so it’s 175 of them and six of us. And they run up with their phones and start calling out our names and stuff. You know, me, I’m like, man, it’s been going on too long. Y’all gotta chill out.”

On the morning of the game, Bowden’s girlfriend’s car was broken into at Bank of America Stadium and all of their belongings were stolen. Bowden didn’t implicate Virginia Tech players or fans, but found it odd that only Kentucky cars were targeted, especially since his brother’s car, which is nicer than his girlfriend’s but doesn’t have a Kentucky plate or UK stickers, was parked right beside hers and was untouched.

“I kind of blame myself because I let my emotions carry over to the field, but I got a call that morning of the game. My girl is crying, she’s telling me that somebody broke into her car and took all of our clothes, because we had packed for me to go train after the game, so they took her clothes, took my clothes that I packed, and took all my son’s clothes…We were going to a team meeting and I got called, my whole mood just changed.”

He tried to shake it off once on the field for warmups, but that’s when tensions reached a breaking point.

“I’m upset, so I take my lap like I normally do. They’re chirping at me. So, you know, I’m already mad and they get to calling me. I’m like alright, okay. So, we all get into it. Dude’s just in my face, I’m like, man, I can’t take it no more.”

Bowden regrets the punch, but doesn’t regret how his team played that day.

“It got us motivated. Definitely. I could have hurt my team, so I had to apologize to them in the locker room. They told me, don’t apologize to them…They’re my brothers. They have my back and I have their back.”

On a side note, Bowden said he’s still waiting to hear from Belk, who offered to replace the items from his shopping spree that were stolen. Fortunately, he’ll be able to afford a lot of very nice new clothes very soon.

12 Comments for Lynn Bowden tells the real story behind the fight at the Belk Bowl

1. ukkatzfan
    12:53 pm January 16, 2020 Permalink

So, Virginia Tech’s coach supports these tactics. If that is the case, Missouri State got a coach with more morals. NCAA should give VA Tech the Houston Lastro treatment.

• ukkatzfan
      1:06 pm January 16, 2020 Permalink

To the important things….Was a fun time having Lynn for three years. A UK Gamer Hall of Famer. After the Belk, the UK legend was born. I will take the “Miss punt return (?)” as my favorite. Seldom done but Lynn “Willed It”. Was a pleasure QB1.

2. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:29 pm January 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s not just Tech it’s the ACC. Look at how the Louisville basketball team was and the cut transfers the football team would take. Look at all the cover ups at FSU. Look at all the players/parents/coaches that have hinted Duke gave them a “benefit” or was abusive. UNC could have still been punished by the ACC but once again they did nothing. I could go on but I think I made my point.

• notFromhere
      1:19 pm January 17, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. It’s why ESPN loves the ACC so much. Same reason they hate UK. Integrated the SEC.

3. dan1965
    3:10 pm January 16, 2020 Permalink

Man that story pisses me off ! Makes me want to ‘bust somebody ?’ for Lynn and his kid and girlfriend!
    Truly sorry this happened to you and your family Lynn, if u read this. My prayers for all of you,and that your dreams are fulfilled thousand times over,and the idiots that did those things pay a thousand times over. OK,OK, I’m a forgiving person,hope they pay 999 times over ! 😉

4. Tom Bombadil
    6:04 pm January 16, 2020 Permalink

Right on Dan!! I second that!
    GO CATS!

5. RackEmWillie
    8:50 am January 17, 2020 Permalink

I wish Lynn would have punched more of them. Just gone in a circle and got 10 of them.

6. UK1983
    9:19 am January 17, 2020 Permalink

where is BELK ? or the Stadium? – seems like more to this story on the break ins – and i would be very surprised if there was not some surveillance film somewhere. I know it is not their responsibility to take care of the kid, BUT, they said they would do so. They wanted the pat on the back, but now they need to follow up.

7. CJKAssassin123
    9:26 am January 17, 2020 Permalink

I wish we would have beaten that sorry excuse of a team by more. I’m glad we won that game. Even more so after reading this.

• runningunnin.454
      9:43 am January 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but the scoop and score put a little icing on the cake.

• RackEmWillie
      10:44 am January 17, 2020 Permalink

If we weren’t going to blow their doors off, UofL style, I’d much rather the game end the way it did. If it’s not by 25+, I’d much rather win within the last 30 seconds to give them something to stew on. Knowing that they were essentially 1 play away from the win, and having it come via a pass from a team that abandoned the air, I love it.

8. michaelb
    6:37 pm January 18, 2020 Permalink

It’s odd to me that many players drove all the way to the bowl game