Lynn Bowden is Prepared to Play Quarterback for Kentucky

With Sawyer Smith’s status uncertain, Kentucky may have to lean on Lynn Bowden to lead the offense. Mark Stoops hopes Smith will be healthy enough to play vs. Arkansas, “but I’m no doctor, so I shouldn’t pretend to be.”

While Sawyer’s ailing body heals, Kentucky will expand its package with Lynn Bowden at quarterback. He led the way in Kentucky’s only scoring drive, completing a pass to Josh Ali for nine yards and rushing for 29 to put the goal near the goal line. Offensive coordinator Eddie Gran is confident when Bowden is taking snaps.

“He knows every position. The reason why we can move Lynn around is because he knows everything,” said Gran. “He’ll know where they’re supposed to be. That’s the really good thing about him. He’s gonna know a concept. If he’s that guy and we expand that right there, then you do that. He was pretty electric when he was back there. It’s what he did in high school. It’s not just hitches. He throws the deep ball well. He can throw inside, he can throw a dig, so I think his package can certainly be expanded.”

Even though the game was out of reach, Bowden did not relent.

“I’m a fighter,” Bowden said after the loss. “I’m just fighting for my team until the clocks says zero-zero. Whatever I gotta do, that’s what I’m gonna do.”

If that means playing quarterback, he’ll play quarterback, just like Randall Cobb did a decade ago. He will not know if his number is called to QB1 for quite some time. Until then, Kentucky needs him to be a leader in the locker room to ensure the Cats are not stuck in a rut for the rest of the season.

“We just gotta make it a point of emphasis that we can’t hang our heads, on to the next one. There ain’t no would of, could of, should of. The game’s over. We lost,” he said. “It just goes back down to execution. Like I said last week, I never point my finger at anybody. If anything, I’ll take the fall. It’s my fault. I’ll be better.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for Lynn Bowden is Prepared to Play Quarterback for Kentucky

1. opinpi
    12:21 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

“……so I think his package can certainly be expanded.” I’m giggling like a 12 year old.

2. DelrayCat
    12:22 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

If they run it out of a traditional wing set….maybe under center some…incorporate some of the triple option and other types of misdirection. Maybe put 2 RB back there. But running it from wildcat every time is so easy to stop for real SEC defenses. You might get a lucky score or a big run every now and then, but overall its very high-schoolish….and doomed to fail.

3. CopenhagenCat
    12:30 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

So stupid. Heck he quits on routes and wants to play qb? How about telling your. Coaches to quit making excuses and throw throw the ball more pass 5 yards.

4. Jesus H. Chrysler
    12:36 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Agree. Go with your next man up.

5. michaelb
    12:53 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I can’t lie , he looked good back there at qb . Too bad we had to lose 3 in a row before we put him back there . Sawyer had no business playing tonight .

• mashburnfan1
      4:27 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

He looked good as USC was playing 2nd and 3rd string guys and were in a prevent. I will give him credit for playing hard and still competing at the end, I do feel he has pouted on some plays recently.

• catsarerunnin
      7:34 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

You pout during every basketball season.

• 4everUKblue
      8:17 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Lol! mashbum is a one sport “fan”.

6. michaelb
    12:54 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I really hate the fact that gran puts on a suit for these interviews . It’s like what are you worried about more ? Your hair or the team ?

7. bennybbn
    1:10 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I think the offensive line is just as much of a problem as Sawyer Smith, 4 different right tackles played in the game because of how attrocious that side of the line was

• michaelb
      1:44 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

He tried to play hurt , he continues to throw the ball way too high

• damage_control
      7:44 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

And too low, and too far in front, and way behind receivers

• 4everUKblue
      8:18 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

And into the hands of the opposition…

8. Duuuuuude
    7:28 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Apparently Walker Wood is just not very good at all.

• east-ky-boy
      9:11 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing

• T-wah
      9:22 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Agreed…and what was sad was that they had him warm up and then sat him down in favor of Bowden. He must be really bad if they won’t even give him a shot in mop-up duty; but, I guess they needed to try Bowden to see what he could do. Even so, I thought it was kind of a slap in the face to WW.

• makeitstop
      10:03 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

And that’s why they lose QBs. Wood cannot be worse than Smith last nite. It’s not possible. I agree Bowden looked ok but as everyone has pointed out against a bad team’s 2/3 team. And is taking ur best player and playing him out of position a way to improve? No. Put in a QB and call plays he can run. If it’s not Wood it’s Gilmore or the f’ng walk on I don’t care but I hv to hv a better option than our grad transfer from Troy who’s too hurt to pass. Bc u know WE RECRUIT QBs EVERY YEAR!

• Blue Bill
      3:02 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

And I’m sure you know better than those whose livelihoods depend on winning.

9. SGD
    7:54 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

The O line is terrible, Landon Young has no lateral movement. QB throws one route and receivers run another. The team gives up after one score. The only decent player is Duffy.

10. BBNBRIAN
    8:20 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

“If anything, I’ll take the fall. It’s my fault. I’ll be better.” Love this young man’s heart and determination… Too bad he has Stoops as a coach.

• Jester
      2:57 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

It would be nice to hear Stoops say that, like a real leader should.

11. season-3-disc-2
    12:36 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s Basketball time in the bluegrass.