Lynn Bowden is excited to “get back in the lab” following crucial drops at MSU

Matt Bush | USA TODAY Sports

Matt Bush | USA TODAY Sports

For most college football players, a seven-reception, 129-yard performance to lead all receivers in a true road game would be one worth celebrating.

Kentucky star wideout Lynn Bowden is not like most college football players.

For the junior playmaker out of Youngstown, OH who had All-SEC hype going into the 2019 season, Bowden’s impressive numbers on the box score were overshadowed by multiple brutal drops in Kentucky’s attempted comeback effort against Mississippi State on Saturday afternoon. Two of them were guaranteed touchdowns.

Down 21-3 with just under five minutes to go in the second quarter, Kentucky managed to claw back and cut the MSU lead to just eight points in the fourth quarter. While there were other mishaps to factor in – Sawyer Smith’s opening-drive pick-six, a separate touchdown drop from Ahmad Wagner, and two missed field goals from Chance Poore, just to name a few – a disappointed Bowden said after the game that just one of his drops in the end zone could have been the difference in Kentucky’s 28-13 loss.

“I’ve just got to reel them in,” the star receiver said. “I dropped two or three balls. … I’ve got to get back in the lab, dropped too many balls, man.”

Despite breaking the 100-yard mark for just the second time in his Kentucky career and being in a position where he could have pointed fingers after the loss, Bowden was quick to put the loss on his shoulders.

“I don’t blame nobody but myself, I’ve just got to be better,” the junior wide receiver said. “I’ve got to reel them in, connect on those deep balls.”

When asked about how he builds off of the good – 129 receiving yards and 37 rushing yards is nothing to scoff at – and moves on from the bad, Bowden says finding that happy medium is difficult for him. As a player with tremendous confidence in his abilities, he expects to make those clutch plays in crunch time.

One of those moments came on a 4th and 8 at the Mississippi State 33-yard line, where the talented playmaker juked and fought his way through several defenders for a 21-yard gain.

“That’s Lynn right there,” Bowden said. “I’ve just got to get back to being myself for the full game.”

When he doesn’t make those plays, he admits he’s hard on himself.

“I’m a very confident person, but when I make mistakes, I get very hard on myself,” he said. “It’s like a 50/50 thing, just have to be stronger minded, that’s it.”

So how does he plan on finding that middle ground with yet another difficult road matchup set for next Saturday at South Carolina?

“Stop listening to everybody and play the football I know how to play,” Bowden said.

Outside of his own personal mistakes, the Youngstown, OH native is confident in his team’s ability to shake off the back-to-back losses and find success the rest of the season.

And it starts in the red zone.

After getting the ball inside the 11 yard line on two separate occasions in the fourth quarter, Kentucky came away with just three points. It starts there, with Bowden stressing that the team has to find a way to finish off strong drives with touchdown scores.

“We want to score every chance we get,” he said. “We’ve got to work on finishing. I don’t think we finished well tonight. We just go to get back to the lab.”

In the first half, Bowden felt the entire team reverted back to “old Kentucky football,” but came back after intermission with an edge that put them in position to make things interesting at the end of the game.

Keeping that same late-game mentality is a necessity as the team heads to Columbia, SC next week.

“In the second half, we came out and played our ball. But we played old Kentucky football in the first half. So we just got to make up for mistakes [moving forward].”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

31 Comments for Lynn Bowden is excited to “get back in the lab” following crucial drops at MSU

1. kjd
    9:18 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

How about he quit jawing at the coaches when he’s on the field wanting the ball more, then he drops them. He’s been dropping balls all season. Not all SEC performance at this point. Says he has to quit listening to everyone and just play. It all starts with catching the ball. Maybe off season work was lacking.

• 4everUKblue
      10:16 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

You’re the only person I’ve heard saying he’s been “jawing at the coaches when he’s on the field wanting the ball more”. How easily we forget the good things he’s done, it’s never enough for some people.

• zoupman
      10:17 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like the jawing at coaches either. Good player, but not as good as he thinks he is.

• 4everUKblue
      11:08 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

He’s pretty damned good. Name a player worth a damn who doesn’t think he’s good. Would you rather a player have low self esteem?

• east-ky-boy
      7:07 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

I bet you think he would have low self esteem if he was white lol

2. blueballs80
    9:34 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Glad he is excited! I hope he is also pissed off dropping catches. Practice is what you preach!

3. A_Blue_Wildcat
    10:03 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

We lost this game for many reasons, but he is gonna break a record with the amount of drops he’s having this season.

• 4everUKblue
      10:17 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

I seriously doubt that.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      11:59 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

He’s averaging three drops a game

• 4everUKblue
      12:02 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

In how many games? Do you remember all the drops last season?

• 4everUKblue
      12:10 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t kept count but that would mean he has dropped 12 passes this season and I find that very hard to believe. Were’s your proof?

4. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    10:37 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

Stone hands!

5. notFromhere
    10:49 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

The real fans are behind you 100% Lynn Bowden! Go get us some chicken this weekend! Crush the corks

6. notFromhere
    10:51 pm September 22, 2019 Permalink

100%

• JASUN74
      1:34 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

That’s exactly right brother. All the hype the kid revived during the spring would be a lot of pressure to live up to really. He needs to quit worrying about what everyone else thinks and go out there and have fun playing the game he loves with his brothers. Lynn is one of the best athletes to ever step on the field here and can be as good as he wants to be. I’m sure he’s got a thousand things on his mind and it may have been getting to him a little.

If I could talk to him I’d tell him that he never has to worry about what I think, because I’ll always be in his corner no matter what. This is College and supposed to be the best time of these kids life. I said earlier in a post that I believe we can still win 9 games and then a bowl game. I still do believe that, but I’m not dumb enough to know what’s going on with the injuries and everything else.

Honestly I could see them maybe losing to Mizzou or South Carolina, but not both!! With Georgia being about unbeatable this year, that’s two more losses probably. Still, 8-4 is a great season, but no matter what happens this year or any other is, (and I know you and a lot of people won’t either), is never talk bad about a bunch of kids playing their hearts out for my Kentucky Wildcats! I just can’t believe that some grown adults would actually talk as bad as I’ve saw them talk about this team and these young men. Sorry about the long post again, I can’t hardly turn it off when I get going. Go Cats and go get this thing turned back around. Thanks Notfromhere!

• runningunnin.454
      5:25 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

Happy to see a couple of positive remarks after this weekend. Seriously, the level of immaturity in the ksr comments reached an all time low. The fact that some of the comments are from adults is very disheartening; and, it’s staggering to think some people have such a void in their lives that they must direct bitter animadversions at kids playing a game.

• 4everUKblue
      10:17 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

Very well said RG!

7. bradyg2
    7:21 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

I support the kid. Also if sawyer is still having discomfort with his shoulder, any chance we see Bowden at QB?!

8. kjd
    8:32 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

BOWDEN IS NOT A QB!!

9. StuckinLville
    9:03 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

If we don’t look any better against South Carolina, you can pretty much chalk us up to a losing season. I’m not giving up on this team, but that first half was pitiful. Have to do better.

10. Wade
    10:11 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

His one throw hit the dirt Bowden is a playmaker he can do it all but not a primary qb

• 4everUKblue
      10:42 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

Let’s not forget the pass he threw to TW before he got hurt and the ball Smith threw through the uprights with a wide open receiver in the end zone, so every QB makes bad throws, Bowden is 50% on throws this season.

11. samodamo
    11:27 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

I like LB but to sit here and say a good performance with 6 to 7 catches is a come on man really!!! If any one on this tram would have had 17 attempts at a who couldn’t get those numbers. Spread the ball to other ppl. Go cats

• StuckinLville
      11:29 am September 23, 2019 Permalink

Agree. He’s always looking for Bowden and they just dont seem to have the chemistry down yet. Spread it around. Use the tight ends.

• 4everUKblue
      12:03 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

That is not LB’s fault.

• 4everUKblue
      12:04 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

If you watched the game you know that no player had a good game and it is a team sport so no individual player is to blame.

12. samodamo
    3:15 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

I believe Ky will be fine. I’m a fan of Bowden but everyone wants to TALK about how good he is? IMO talk is cheap actions speak louder and on tht note any WR tht has 17 balls thrower your way and you only catch 6 or 7!! Thts average if tht. Stoops will get it worked out we are better than we are showing.

• 4everUKblue
      3:18 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

If you watched the game you saw how inaccurate Smith was, it’s ridiculous to put all that on Bowden. Hell he threw on through the uprights!

• east-ky-boy
      7:10 pm September 23, 2019 Permalink

While he played injured. Don’t throw the “what about the pick 6” crap! Give him a mistake! How many fumbles did we give terry? I bet that wouldn’t have been a pick 6 if he wasn’t white! Sorry but you’re so racist so I’m playing your game

• samodamo
      5:30 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Yes he wasn’t perfect but man if you watched the same game as me how many drops did everyone make including a bunch from LB!!