Lynn Bowden Jr. has a new home. Kentucky’s versatile playmaker was selected by the Las Vegas Raiders in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft with the No. 80 overall pick.

Bowden is the third wide receiver taken by the Raiders in the first three rounds. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Bowden will begin his career as a running back for the Raiders.

A four-star prospect from Youngstown, the Mr. Football runner-up in the state of Ohio accrued 1,366 passing yards, 2,277 rushing yards for 57 total touchdowns in his final season at Warren G. Harding. Following his senior season Bowden picked Kentucky over Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State, thanks to Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow’s connections to the area.

In his first season as a Wildcat, Bowden was named to the SEC’s All-Freshman Team as a returner. He followed up that debut with a sensational sophomore season, setting a new school record for receptions by a sophomore while leading the team in every receiving category. His best moments in 2018 actually came as a returner, sparking a comeback with a fourth quarter score against Missouri and returning a punt for a touchdown in the Citrus Bowl against Penn State.

Bowden followed his 2018 campaign by doing something no one expected — leading Kentucky to a 6-2 record as the Wildcats’ quarterback. He rushed for 1,468 yards and 13 touchdowns, capped off with a 233-yard performance against Virginia Tech in Bud Foster’s final game, throwing for a game-winning touchdown to Josh Ali in his final play as a Wildcat.

The Paul Hornung Award winner, given each year to college football’s most versatile player, is taking his talents to the Las Vegas strip.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

41 Comments for Lynn Bowden drafted by the Las Vegas Raiders in the third round with the No. 80 overall pick

1. tdub
    10:39 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for everything Lynn, good luck in the NFL.

2. jlad
    10:44 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Hey Vegas, Come see about it!

3. 4everUKBlue
    10:44 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

How do you like Bowden now John Clayton? Come see about it!

4. CrystalBall
    10:50 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Clayton should stick to the sport he most identifies with. Marbles.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:52 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Amen. Congrats Lynn, here’s to a successful career.

• Miller45
      11:21 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

I just laughed out loud when i read marbles, thanks for that

5. damage_control
    10:54 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Congrats! I was hoping for the Eagles, NO, Seattle or KC because I think they’re more creative offensive head coaches but I guess Gruden is the man who stepped up and picked him so hopefully he has some ideas.

• RAGE
      11:40 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

I think he went to a good offensive coach and a pretty good situation… If you can make any sense of the Raiders draft class so far I think Gruden maybe going to go to a more spread type of offense… He has talked a lot about studying the college spread offensive systems… With the 3 WR he has taken so far looks like he maybe going to try and put more of that in his game plan… I think Lynn went to a good situation for him

6. damage_control
    10:55 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

At least it wasn’t the friggin suck ass Cowboys

7. RexRox
    10:58 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Best of luck, Lynn!

8. dcforuk
    11:17 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Here’s an interesting question. The South Carolina wide receiver picked by the Raiders immediately after Bowden was picked had an overall rank that was significantly higher than Bowden. Sounds like the Raiders are trying to generate a little friendly internal competition by making Edwards a little miffed for being drafted AFTER Bowden. There was no risk Bowden would be gone if Edwards was picked first. Mind games!

• dcforuk
      11:18 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

I did not pose a question did I? I guess I answered it myself when I started typing and thinking at the same time!

• RAGE
      11:35 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

No DC it is the Raiders…. If you look at every other pick they have made so far it will tell you the answer… They just ain’t real sure what they are doing… They did pick Ruggs in the first round when Jeudy and Lamb was still on the board… Then they reached for a corner out of OSU Arnette that had like a 3rd round grade… So I sometimes think maybe they ain’t real sure what they are doing… Or maybe just march to the beat of their own drum lol

• dcforuk
      11:40 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Why do the Raiders now have New England’s 100th overall pick? They traded. But, who did they trade?

• dcforuk
      11:46 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

BTW – That’s true Rage. Weren’t the Raiders the one that last year drafted a Clemson guy projected as a late first rounder like fourth overall ahead of Josh Allen?

• RAGE
      10:06 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Yes they did Dc… My point exactly lol

• JASUN74
      3:52 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Gruden knows exactly who he wants and what he wants to get out of them. He’s a players coach and Lynn couldn’t have went to a better franchise. I’m tickled to death for him and I believe John will really use Lynn a lot and the right way. As for their other picks, again, John Gruden knows what kind of guys he want to play with and does his homework on attitude and abilities! I’m liking the Raiders more and more! I just wish they’d have gotten Josh Allen. All and all though, they have built a good bunch of talent and quality guys. Best of luck to you Lynn.

• 4everUKBlue
      1:26 pm April 25, 2020 Permalink

Ruggs is no scrub, he was the fastest player on the Alabama team and a damn good receiver.

9. Dr. Tom
    11:30 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Congratulations Lynn. What a ride you have been on. Make the BBN proud Lynn!!

10. Dr. Tom
    11:30 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Congratulations Lynn. What a ride you have been on. Make the BBN proud Lynn!!

11. Gogh Big Bleu
    11:30 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

COME SEE ABOUT IT! Go get ‘em, Lynn. Tear it up.

12. dcforuk
    11:41 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

See above – why do the Raiders have New England’s overall 100th pick now? They traded but who did they trade for?

13. blueblue
    11:46 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

Bowden at RB! Dang I’m good. That’s what I said yesterday at this time. Look back at the first comment in the post about Clayton saying Bowden should go undrafted.

• dcforuk
      11:50 pm April 24, 2020 Permalink

??? – I am not watching anymore. Did LVR say they would play LBJ @ RB?

14. cats646
    12:11 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

RB?? COME SEE ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! Congrats Lynn!! Thanks for all the memories. Legend.

• RAGE
      10:15 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Bowden runs good enough routes to be a true Slot WR… not being a downer but I see him more like a James White to catch the ball out of the backfield… I also don’t think he can play RB either cause his smaller frame wouldn’t hold up a NFL season… He doesn’t have the frame to be a RB cause the runs he made at Kentucky won’t work in the NFL… I don’t know exactly where he truly fits in the NFL until he learns to run NFL routes cause honestly Kentucky don’t teach routes running really not their type of system… If you ever notice our WR don’t run but a few routes… Mostly Fades and maybe a drag route occasionally no sharp outs or real NFL routes… but I think John Gruden will find a place for him cause you don’t draft someone that high without a plan…

15. CJKAssassin123
    12:17 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

What a horrible fit for Bowden.

• JASUN74
      3:57 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Sorry man but it couldn’t have been a better fit for Lynn. Gruden will use Lynn and put him in the position to become a star. They’re building something special out there and John Gruden was the right choice for the Raiders. They’re getting a lot of young talent that’s going to be fun to watch and they’ll be hard to beat from now on until John leaves.

16. UKgrad80
    12:55 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

What was that graphic about Bowden going to the same high school as Randall Cobb that was not true. Goodell said his name wrong! And the people picked before him you gotta be kidding! Prove them all wrong LBJ! And lastly eat it Clayton and yes stick to friggin marbles!!

17. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:10 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Gruden just drafted his burner(Ruggs), his outside possession receiver (Edwards), and his hybrid slot receiver/back do it all athlete(Bowden) .

18. jakew60
    5:40 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Damnit I’m happy he got drafted but not to my rival the raiders, I really wanted the chargers to snag him because we need a nice slot piece and he can do it all. Hopefully we can snag a decent wr or trade a veteran for one of them, and maybe we can get stenberg later because we need young interior linemen

19. UKFanSC
    6:37 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Awesome ?

• UKFanSC
      6:38 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

That question mark were hands clapping on my keyboard…..love the pick.

20. Not Dan Issel
    7:02 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Been a Raiders fan since the days of Roger Bird. Great opportunity here for Bowden. Gruden will figure out the best way to use him in the NFL. Raiders Baby!!!!

21. Tom Bombadil
    7:18 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Come See About It!!!
    Congrats Lynn! Thx for all the memories! Legend. Smack em good in NFL!
    GO CATS

22. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    8:59 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Happy for Lynn, just wish it was my Ravens. But he’ll get plenty of reps immediately for the Raiders. Him and Ruggs III are going to be a deadly combo if their trash QB can get them the ball. Not big on Derrick Carr. They should get Cam or Jameis

• 4everUKBlue
      9:18 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

No offense to anyone but I hope like hell they don’t get Cam or Jameis. I’m not a fan of either.

• damage_control
      2:45 pm April 25, 2020 Permalink

or teddy bridgewater, or Jacoby Brisett, or Colin Kapernick amirite? ; )

• 4everUKBlue
      7:30 am April 26, 2020 Permalink

Cam is more concerned about his wardrobe, sold out so Peyton could win his second ring, Jameiss is a rapist, Teddy is a good guy, I don’t know much about Jacoby, I’ve never had anything against Kapernick, he got blackballed for kneeling which was actually standing up (so to speak) for his beliefs.

23. michaelb
    9:22 am April 25, 2020 Permalink

Lynn is a legendary wildcat forever . He represents us hard and he’s an Ohio kid . Lynn is one of a kind to say the least . Such an excitement filled journey, was nice to witness . It just seems like he’s gonna be a star as a rookie since he’s so Lynn Bowden