The Kentucky football program boasts not one, but two AP First-Team All Americans.
This afternoon, the Associated Press announced its 2019 All-American recipients, and Kentucky stars Lynn Bowden and Max Duffy were both named to the First Team.
The AP selected Bowden as the nation’s top all-purpose player, while Duffy was honored as the top punter in all of college football.
Bowden, who took home the Paul Hornung Award for the nation’s most versatile player, leads the SEC and ranks eighth nationally in all-purpose yardage, averaging 153.0 yards per game. He is also just one of three players in the top eight nationally with rushing, receiving, punt return and kickoff return yards. Averaging 8.2 yards per rushing attempt, Bowden leads the SEC and ranks second nationally.
He also is the only player in the nation leading his team in both rushing (1,235) and pass receiving (348). He ranks 13th on UK’s career receptions list with 114 and is 18th on the career receiving yards list with 1,303 yards.
As for Duffy, who received the Ray Guy Award for the nation’s top punter last week, the junior playmaker leads the nation in punting at 48.6 yards per punt, while only nine of his 47 punts have been returned and 24 of the 47 landed inside the 20-yard line.
He is currently UK’s career punt leader with a 46.5-yard career average.
In addition to his school records and the Ray Guy Award trophy, Duffy earned First Team All-SEC honors by the AP, Second Team All-SEC by the coaches, and First-Team All-America by Walter Camp.
Here is the entire list of AP First Team selections:
- Quarterback — Joe Burrow, senior, LSU.
- Running backs — Chuba Hubbard, sophomore, Oklahoma State; Jonathan Taylor, junior, Wisconsin.
- Tackles — Penei Sewell, sophomore, Oregon; Andrew Thomas, junior, Georgia.
- Guards — Wyatt Davis, sophomore, Ohio State; Kevin Dotson, senior, Louisiana-Lafayette.
- Center — Tyler Biadasz, junior, Wisconsin.
- Tight end — Harrison Bryant, senior, Florida Atlantic.
- Wide receivers — Ja’Marr Chase, sophomore, LSU; CeeDee Lamb, junior, Oklahoma.
- All-purpose player — Lynn Bowden Jr., junior, Kentucky.
- Kicker — Keith Duncan, junior, Iowa.
- Ends — Chase Young, junior, Ohio State; James Lynch, junior, Baylor.
- Tackles — Derrick Brown, senior, Auburn; Javon Kinlaw, senior, South Carolina.
- Linebackers — Isaiah Simmons, junior, Clemson; Evan Weaver, senior, California; Micah Parsons, sophomore, Penn State.
- Cornerbacks — Derek Stingley, freshman, LSU; Jeff Okudah, junior, Ohio State.
- Safeties — Antoine Winfield Jr., sophomore, Minnesota; J.R. Reed, senior, Georgia.
- Punter — Max Duffy, junior, Kentucky.
With today’s news, it means Kentucky has now had two First-Team All-Americans in back-to-back seasons, as Josh Allen and Bunchy Stallings were both selected last year.
Well done, fellas.