Louisville media not happy about the Lamar Thomas news

Just a little while ago, we broke the news that UofL wide receivers coach Lamar Thomas is leaving Louisville to take the same position at Kentucky, and well, the Louisville media isn’t taking it too well. Here are the most common arguments from the other side:

“Lamar Thomas is just a recruiter, not a coach”

AKA the Jody Demling camp. Demling argues that Thomas was simply on the staff to recruit, not coach.

“Thomas didn’t recruit Lamar Jackson”

Then why is he listed as Jackson’s primary recruiter by 247 Sports and Rivals? In February 2015, The Courier-Journal said Thomas “was primarily responsible for Jackson’s recruitment with Louisville,” while the Sun Sentinel cites Jackson as saying one of the key reasons he honored his commitment to Louisville was Thomas, who coached at Jackson’s high school in Florida before taking a job as the wide receivers coach at Hampton.

Thomas was also one of the coaches to help lure in four-star wide receiver Desmond Fiztpatrick, who just recommitted to Louisville today. (Don’t get your hopes up too much, it seems Fitzpatrick remains firm in that commitment.)

“It doesn’t matter, Kentucky’s wide receivers CAN’T CATCH!”

Okay, that’s coming from Louisville fans, not media, and yes, it’s true…which is why we needed a new wide receivers coach. And judging by the past few years, Louisville’s wide receivers aren’t too shabby.

Keep spinning and stay salty, rivalry friends.

you-salty-o

57 Comments for Louisville media not happy about the Lamar Thomas news

1. Dolfan66r
    4:11 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I am a Canes Fan first and UK fan second. I know Lamar and we play golf together in Louisville. When he came to UL I gave him loads of crap but at least he still wears one of his two championship rings. Talking to him it has always been tough for him to recruit against his alma mater in the ACC. Also his good buddy Terrell Buckley just left for Miss State. Now he gets to play against him every year like when Lamar was at Miami and Terrell was at FSU. Take it from me they are both great guys!!

2. Dolfan66r
    4:13 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

And by the way he was a helluva receiver as well!!! UK players could learn a few things from him!

3. RUPPS.rhetoric
    4:13 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I found the “He’s not a coach, he’s just a recruiter” spin funny. What do they say about College athletics? “It’s not about the X’s and O’s; it’s about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s”. Recruiting, today, is vitally as important as coaching.

4. wildcat502
    4:14 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Louisville fans are saying he didnt coach the wide receivers, Nick Petrino (grad assistant) did. Wouldn`t this be illegal?? They claim they will always beat us, badly, but what they haven`t admitted is, Louisville had down years, after Bobby first left them and they blamed Kragthrope. Arkansas had bad years, after he left there. Petrino hasn`t impressed me with his recruiting and still doesnt. You can have all the 4 star receivers you want, if you dont have the linemen to block for you, the receivers wont help you. They have 2 in this recruiting class.
    I believe Lamar Thomas see`s us being really good, in 2 years and Louisville will be headed downward during this same period. I believe that as well.

5. WCS15UK
    4:16 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t Jody Demling used to work for KSR?

• Long Dong Silver
      5:12 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

No, the Courier Journal.

6. @BallBlog_Chad
    4:18 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

he wasn’t a coach, he was just a recruiter … nah, he didn’t recruit those guys … what? hahaha, it’s like arguing with children … I’m so glad Tyler threw multiple sources in there since apparently the national recruiting site wasn’t legit enough

7. DREWBLUE
    4:19 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if Nick Petrino pays for their weed. Ask a Trinity grad.

8. FBI Informant
    4:23 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

UL Coaching Staff 2015-16 ACC Recruiting Rankings:

#8 LD Scott
    #12 (with a bullet) Garrick McGee
    #23 Grantham
    #33 Klenakis
    #62 Thomas

Last year Thomas was #35.

Dream all you would like about him being a home run hire. He’s not. There has been much grumbling in the UL camp for two seasons about the lack of production out of SoFLA (Thomas’ only territory) and his lack of coaching.

If you choose to not believe the people in the UL camp then that’s your business, but the fact of the matter is that they’re lightyears better than Uk in football and there is a reason that Lamar was looking for another job. Last year UL kept McGee from going to Oklahoma and kept Grantham from going to the Raiders (two jumps up in job level) and is losing Thomas to UK (considered a lateral move at best). Again, there’s a reason for that. His recruiting ranking seems to maybe be part of the problem.

• RUPPS.rhetoric
      4:26 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

You’re funny. Tee! Hee!

• secrick
      4:29 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

You are such a sore loser and i should know so am i.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:30 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Talk about spin…. FBI is giving it his all!!! LMAO!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      4:39 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Crazy, he’d spent so much time trying to convince us he was a UK fan….. 😉

• bbnr3
      4:42 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

If I could coach a defense that gives up 45 points to Pittsburgh and still make $1.3 million I would stay too.

• CATandMONKEY
      4:58 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

An FBI informant is not respected by the FBI nor by the criminals he has spurned. I suspect this example is not respected by either UofL or UK fans. He works too hard towards that end.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:06 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

• BigBlueBoom
      5:21 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

If they are “lightyears better” than UK football how then why can they barely scrape out a win against us? It’s not like they are killing us on the boards. And they are going to the Music City Bowl these days, a bowl UK is quite familiar with. Lightyears better huh? Lol

• BigBlueBoom
      5:23 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Oops typo, scratch the word “how” in my first sentence.

9. Wildcats94
    4:24 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

as a trinity grad I’m ashamed that Dem-dingdong even went to school there… hes the king dipstick of Loserville media…. if he was just a recruiter explain why your terrible fanbase is in full panic mode… this is the type hire we needed, Thomas has two titles, can recruit, and as much as it sucks to type, has proven results lets see if he can get the WR’s lined out GO BIG BLUE!!!!

10. Wildcats94
    4:29 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

FBI Informant is also TheJohnnyU on a UofL blog… troll posting the same garbage over there

• J-Dub421
      4:47 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Straight from the Card Chronicle:

247 recruiting rankings for this year- ACC
      LD Scott
      (with a bullet) Garrick McGee
      Grantham
      Klenakis
      Thomas
      If recruiting is all he did well, then maybe he was on the hot seat. Last year, he was 35

by TheJohnnyU on Feb 1, 2016 | 3:59 PM reply
      TheJohnnyU
      rankings got screwed up some how
      LD Scott — 8th
      Garrick McGee — 12th (with a bullet)
      Grantham -23rd
      Klenakis — 33rd
      Thomas — 62nd

by TheJohnnyU on Feb 1, 2016 | 4:01 PM up reply

I feel dirty having gone to that site, but I wanted to see if this was true.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:00 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Straight from KSR 😀 😀 😀 :

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      You know what’s fun? When we post negative things about UL, knowing that UK has had their fair share of employees with run ins with the law, and UL fans are going to easily point all of them out with a 3sec Google search. It may be wise to not expose our own glass house.

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Really?
      I, for one, would never wish ill will on a University and the ridiculous amount of good that both schools do for their communities, just bc I don’t root for their sports teams. You all need to reset your priorities in life.

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Uk is my alma-mater.
      But I live in Louisville. Unfortunately my alma-mater has a sports fanbase where the vast majority never went to college and therefore cannot conseptualize the difference between sports and real-life.

FBI Informant January 12, 2016 at 12:10 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Maybe Stoops should have given back a half a million instead of charging UK extra for the next disaster.

FBI Informant December 17, 2015 at 8:50 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Pffffft.
      Did Stoops pay the intern to try his best and spin his tenure. Holy cow. This is a joke.

FBI Informant January 13, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      Someone doesn’t read too well. We’re talking about thousands and thousands of dollars here, gifts (iPads alone are about $400 a pop), payment for work not done (which was thousands of dollars),etc, spread over multiple boosters, and including coaches, with the full knowledge of the Head Coach. There is NOTHING about this case that is similar to ULs case in any way shape or form. But keep on dreamin.

FBI Informant January 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      I am a fan of UK, and an alum of the University, which is more than can be said of 95% of the people that visit this board. However, I’m also not ignorant, and I do not make ignorant claims merely based
      on my fandom. This board is UL obsessed. Drew is the main culprit and Mrs T falls in line. Then there are the people like you who make things about other schools about UL. UL UL UL. Pay attention to UK. You’ll be much happier.

FBI Informant December 23, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Being an alum of UK I can say that I’m certainly happy that the Dumpster Lawyer has no ties to UK. I’m also not going to give this guy any due. He’s personally just as embarrassing as any of the innuendo that he feels necessary to put into a motion. I’ve been around judges and lawyers enough to know that if he seriously said those things in a court motion that he’s doing his client a HUGE disservice.

FBI Informant January 28, 2016 at 5:10 am | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      I love these guys on here saying “Can’t tell you the last time I went to a UL site” and crap like that when trying to deflect this boards obvious UL obsession. Guys, THE MODERATOR, WRITER, AND OWNER OF THIS SITE, are constantly posting about UL, and routinely those posts get the most responses from our fans. It’s the biggest problem with this place. Drew is absolutely obsessed with UL and so is Matt. It consumes their lives. And many of you guys just fall right in line. Tonight we have Drew trying to make fun of an injured UL player. Wtf?!?!? Taking it a little too far for a group of people of “don’t even care” about UL aren’t we?

FBI Informant December 14, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      What did he say that was incorrect? Looks like his opinion is backed up by the facts surrounding Cal’s tenure at UMass. Like it or not, before he got to UK, Cal ran two completely rogue programs in UMass & Memphis. The amount of crime, NCAA issues, legal problems, drug problems, domestic abuse problems, etc, far outweighed the norm, and outshined the winning. Just bc it doesn’t appear that he runs the same type of program at UK, shouldn’t dismiss the pathetic programs that proceeded. Even our own Matt Jones called him out before the title game at Memphis, and he was completely justified in doing so.

FBI Informant January 19, 2016 at 5:38 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      The real question is…
      When this kid leaves do UK fans claim him as a product of Kentucky Basketball?

• CATandMONKEY
      5:02 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Don’t feel too dirty. Sometimes a visit to the site is required just to get a perspective on the delusion that is endemic in Jefferson County. Rutherford is a good writer and seems to be a class act though.

I have never posted on there and never will but a quick vist can be worth a million laughs.

• CATandMONKEY
      5:06 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

“Conseptualize” Nice job, college grad who decries the lack of education from his supposed UK brethren.
      Good stuff UKBBU.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:07 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

C&M, you nailed it. Their delusion knows no bounds…. It’s truly remarkable.

• FBI Informant
      5:13 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I took those stats from him while there to see what they thought about it. Figured they were relevant to the discussion. I guess since they don’t say that Thomas is the greatest coach of all-time that it has no place in this discussion.

Fwiw – saying they’re in full meltdown mode is quite the stretch. They’ve landed two 4* in the last couple days, neither of which was recruited by Thomas. And it doesn’t look like they’ll lose anyone that has committed to UL because of it.

Lamar Thomas landed one good player for them in 3 recruiting cycles.

• BigBlueBoom
      5:24 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ha ha ha ha yeah okay guys, he borrowed their stats. He’s totally not the same guy. Lololololol

11. CATandMONKEY
    4:30 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m not proud of the schadenfreude currently being felt but nor am I ashamed. Giggity.

12. Crushgroove
    5:18 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

That is a great picture of Lamar recruiting for UL… on the sidelines… during a game…

13. Long Dong Silver
    5:27 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

FBI’s dad does work with Petrino. He’s his pimp.

14. scorpiocard
    5:34 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Moderation?!?! Oh come on…don’t be wimps! My post is funny! (to me anyway) 🙂

• UK Big Board Update
      5:38 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

You have a long history of not being funny.

Now take your loss and move on.

• scorpiocard
      5:54 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Well he is not that much of a loss for sure. Although we don’t like losing ANYBODY to uk (well…Kragthorpe would have been okay)

He is in fact rated #62 in recruiting in the ACC this season, and was #35 last season. Outside of that other Lamar, he has not been pulling south Florida kids like he was supposed to.

Call it sour grapes if you want, but these are actual facts. The truth is, the only thing we don’t like about losing him is that it is to you all.

And who in their right mind goes to play for a coach who might get fired next season? That one has me scratching my head. The talk Bobby might have been fine with him moving on is not all that crazy really.

• scorpiocard
      6:06 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I meant work for, not play, obviously.

• CATandMONKEY
      6:43 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ok, the Kragthorpe thing was funny.

• Crushgroove
      6:45 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

UK already out-recruits UL on the regular. UK doesn’t really need another recruiter as much as they need a good WR coach. I mean, he’s obviously no Nick Petrino WR coaching genius, but he has an actual experience base from which to teach the position, which is what UK was after. What YOU should be concerned about is why any coach would bolt on your school 2 days out from NSD. That can’t be a good thing and it actually smells of retribution for wrongdoing. Go figure. Smiling Bobby never did anybody wrong… did he?

• CATandMONKEY
      6:49 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

+100 to Crushgroove. Finally some football on here. Hope it continues. You opened my eyes a bit Sunday A.M. Let’s hope there is much great coverage to be had in the future.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:58 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I dunno? Makes you wonder, huh? 😉

• scorpiocard
      6:58 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Last season our class was ranked higher by every recruiting service out there. I only checked Rivals before posting this, but this season you are about 10 spots higher, but only because you have more players commited, as our average star rating is dead even at 3.00

So, whatever…

But if uk is a better fit for Thomas then so be it. He truly is not a big loss. That’s just the bottom line.

I wonder if he will have a job after next season. One thing we know for sure is that he will be he for the holidays.

• scorpiocard
      7:00 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Home for the holidays. Phone text tough for an old guy lol

• UK Big Board Update
      7:00 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Cards fans making a big deal about something they swear is not a big deal…. 😉

• UK Big Board Update
      7:07 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

You shouldn’t worry yourselves with convincing us he’s no good – you should spend time convincing yourselves. 😉

• scorpiocard
      7:34 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ha ha I never said he was “no good”. I said he was not getting it done with recruiting in his area, south Florida, with the notable exception of Jackson.

Good position coaches are a dime a dozen…well, for most schools anyway. Maybe not at uk where they don’t seem to be able to develop all this supirior talent they are supposedly recruiting.

15. ukjaybrat
    5:42 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

If Louisville fans think LT isnt a factor in recruiting, why are they so salty matt leaked the hire 2 days before NSD?

• scorpiocard
      7:44 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Same reason you wouldn’t like it if the shoe were on the other foot bro. Not good timing, but odds are the recruits knew way before any of us did.

• BigBlueBoom
      7:52 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Why the hell are you on KSR at 7:44? Shouldn’t you be paying attention to your team losing a basketball game instead of trolling ksr, worrying about what UK fans think? Pathetic.

• BigBlueBoom
      7:54 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I can guarantee you I’ll never be trolling Card Chronicle during a UK game. I have visited the site a couple of times in my life just for laughs but good God, not during a UK game.

• scorpiocard
      8:00 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Ever heard of commercial breaks bro? It’s half time now. I’m an anomaly. College football is my passion. I was a uk football fan before U of L commited and hired Schnellenberger. I was like…thankfully I don’t have to follow a snake bit program anymore.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:22 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Being a bandwagon fan is easy. And also extremely lame.

• BigBlueBoom
      8:26 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I don’t care if it’s commercials or halftime, if you’re that worried about what UK fans are saying that you have to check ksr every second you get, you might have a crush. Bro.

• scorpiocard
      9:57 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I openly admitted I used to be a uk fan, and I am a college football fan, so yeah I check out the “big” news.

PS… I ain’t a bandwagon fan. I was U of L fan back in Corso’s then they got so bad and were talking about dropping football I had no choice but to go to uk. Once they committed I came back home. Been to wins at the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar. Sorry about your bad luck (not really)

16. Bill the Cat
    8:48 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I like what I’m seeing from the new guys on staff. They are hitting the SE part of the country HARD! Add some of the OH boys to the guys from FL, GA, SC and the three studs we just added from KY! Now get this guy to bring in some Miami athletes!?! Man, I can’t wait to see the product we have in a couple of years.

• CARDFA6969
      9:34 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

NEXT YEAR.. BIGGER, STRONGER.. FASTER!!! UK… OFF SEASON CHAMPS AGAIN!!!!

• theSkinny81
      9:45 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

The series is tied 14-14. Calm down.

• scorpiocard
      10:04 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Yeah those wins literally 100 years ago in the leather helmet days of big state U over the small private city college are important to hang on to when you are literally the worst team in SEC history (yes worse all time winning percentage than Vandy) lmao

• theSkinny81
      10:47 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, those wins shouldn’t count, right? I’m sure you all wouldn’t ::rolls eyes::