Louisville football has not sold out 12,000 tickets for College GameDay

The Louisville football program has not yet sold out of its tickets for the team’s home matchup against Miami with College GameDay in town.

With just two days until the Hurricanes head to Louisville to take on the Cardinals, there are currently 111 tickets available on Ticketmaster out of a max capacity of 12,000.

The tickets are currently listed at $85 apiece.

Originally, the school asked Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear for a max capacity of 30%, good for 18,000 fans at Cardinal Stadium. Instead, Beshear approved a plan allowing a max capacity of 20%, good for 12,000 fans spread out throughout the 61,000 seat stadium.

“It’s a 20% capacity with everybody spread out and only sitting next to family units,” Beshear said at the time of the announcement two weeks ago. “The university worked pretty well with us. They started out in a different place, but at the end of the day, the president (Dr. Neeli) Bendapudi called and said, ‘We want to do this as safe as we can’ and they showed that commitment.”

Beshear approved a similar capacity of 20% at Kroger Field, good for roughly 12,200 fans allowed each week.

While 11,890 fans securing tickets out of a possible 12,000 is not a huge deal for Louisville – the available tickets are in the nosebleeds – it does make you wonder if we’ll see this problem at Kentucky and throughout the nation as the college football season continues (or begins, for that matter).

If Louisville can’t sell out its stadium at 20% capacity in a high-profile conference matchup with College GameDay coming to town, what does that mean for schools such as Tennessee and Texas A&M, who are both planning for over 25,000 fans at their games? What about lesser conference matchups such as, say, Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt or Florida vs. Arkansas, both scheduled for Nov. 14?

Will the pandemic and the safety protocols in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus – mandatory mask wearing, no tailgating, etc. – keep fans home?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

9 Comments for Louisville football has not sold out 12,000 tickets for College GameDay

1. highway119
    1:50 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

I hope it keeps enough away so that me, my sons and my lowly K-fund ranking can still use our season tickets. I wish they would’ve chosen a more democratic approach (2-3 games for all ticket holders, with the K-fund ranking determining who gets to choose what games they want first).

• bigbluebg
      5:25 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

That sucks man.
      I almost talked my Dad into going in on a package with me.

He talked me out of it. He’s always right.

• satcheluk
      6:58 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I think you mean an egalitarian approach, which is kin to socialism. I find it ironic how some people want socialism when it benefits them, but many rail against it when it helps others. I don’t know you, highway, so don’t take this as a personal slight against you. I just see a lot of hypocrisy here.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    1:50 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

Painted Cardinal guy with that dejected look on his face is always good for a chuckle.

3. BigBluSoTru
    2:38 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

Just like Matt on twitter trying to make a big deal out of it. Geez it’s obvious looking at stadiums so far that have played no fans are really showing up. Why would you with all this c-19 going around and the resrtictions at games no tailgating very limited movement. The fan experience at these games are bascially non exsistent. And Gameday is virtual mooron writer.not the typical one. I wish this site would sometimes use common sense when writing articles . It has nothing to do with U of L lack of support. Plus their fans had to block of 4 tickets which is kinda stupid if you only needed 2.

• ComfortablyNumb94
      2:49 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

Hey buddy, you may want to read the article again – this wasn’t to poke fun at UL, it used UL to pose the question of, “If UL is struggling to sell out gameday at 20% capacity what does this mean for games that would naturally have received far less attention.”

• bigbluebg
      5:27 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

Hey, we didn’t come here to read, we came here to yell at Matt! Take Ur Logic and Git Outta Here!

4. 4burgoo
    3:50 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

I know universities are trying to ring the cash register with these tickets, how about giving the students a fair chance of getting into these games. In many cases they are getting an allotment of 2,000 seats and have enrollments over 20k to 30k. Let the students in and problem solved, no unused tickets. And by the way, they pay more in student activity fees than a large percentage of season tickets holders give in annual donations.

• satcheluk
      6:59 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Students haven’t attended games for years.