Louisville doesn’t know who will start at quarterback

Jamie Rhodes | USA Today

Louisville’s depth chart for the Kentucky game lists Kyle Bolin or Lamar Jackson as the team’s starting quarterback.

“Not sure who will start at quarterback, “Bobby Petrino said yesterday. “In the game the other day, they made good plays at times and they made bad plays at times. We’ve got to get out on the practice field and figure it out on the practice field.”

Bolin, a sophomore from Lexington, started the last three games for Louisville, with wins over Syracuse and Virginia, and last Saturday’s loss to Pittsburgh. He also started in the Week 3 loss to Clemson.

The other option is Jackson, who has started six games as a true freshman and appeared in 10 of Louisville’s 11 games. Jackson has thrown for 1,483 yards with nine touchdowns and seven interceptions to Bolin’s 1,109 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions.

For Kentucky fans, we’d like to avoid Jackson at all costs. He is a running quarterback and we all know how that tends to go in Commonwealth Stadium. Groan.

Petrino said of Jackson’s mobility, “It is one of his strengths and certainly, I think, is something he’s good at it. He does a good job of running the football whether it’s called plays or improvising off dropback passes.”

So it is that, or the hometown kid looking to beat Kentucky for a second consecutive season. Bolin stepped in and threw three second half touchdowns to defeat the Cats a year ago.

Either way, beat Louisville.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Louisville doesn’t know who will start at quarterback

1. ClutchCargo
    12:23 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

The mobile QB thing is a myth. We have historically struggled against good QB’s, mobile or not. The truth is that if we don’t get a better pass rush, the pro-style guy will carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey, just like he did last year. And that was with Bud and Z.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:48 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Blitz…every down. Can’t hurt. Lay it all on the field guys. This game can and will define the Stoops era, hopefully for the better.

2. @BallBlog_Chad
    12:32 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

I feel pretty confident we’re going to see both QBs at some point … and Petrino feels about UK the way we feel about him, so I’m sure he’ll throw in a few new wrinkles for us … really hope we can get this W

3. The Rest of the story
    1:01 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Good luck Cats you need some to really come your way in this one.

• theSkinny81
      1:04 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Lol. You really want Louisville to win, don’t you?

• CATandMONKEY
      1:43 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Alittle luck can’t hurt but Dude, you act like we will be playing Alabama in Tuscaloosa. UofL isn’t even good in their lackluster conference this season.

Cats by 5. I will stand by that.

• The Rest of the story
      3:03 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Cats by 5? Is UL better than UL Lafyette, or EKU, or S. Carolina? Those are 3 games the Cats were just lucky to win. Now tell me Monkey Man who’s better really?

• The Rest of the story
      3:10 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Oh and I forgot is UL better than Vandy, I forgot that one so luck is surly needed for the Cats Monkey Man.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:17 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Monkey Man…. still no respect.

Just say “Go Cards” and save all of us the trouble….

• UK Big Board Update
      4:30 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

AGAIN, if thats how you want to look at UK’s schedule, then Louisville also got lucky to beat 3-8 BC by three points, 3-8 Wake Forest by ONE point, 4-7 Virginia by 7, all of which play in a basketball conference…

Oh, and was made to look silly vs Auburn, (down 24-3 in the second half) who UK should have beat, but lost by 3.

So face it, this game is essentially a pick ’em. Your Tards are no juggernaut.

4. CPACAT
    1:47 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

CATandMONKEY, I’d love to see CATS by 5, but it ain’t happening this year. I got a beer here in N KY that says I am correct…and will happily pay off if I’m wrong, LOL!!

• CATandMONKEY
      1:52 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

I would love to share brews, win or loss. I hope you are wrong. I know our history is against us but I think you are giving UofL too much credit. They are only mediocre at best this season and maybe, just maybe, home field gives us an advantage.

5. Long Dong Silver
    2:06 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Thinking about our anemic pass rush makes me think back to Joe Lee Dunn. That was one blitzing fool.

6. jaws2
    2:54 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

If our pass rush is the way it has been all year, either QB will pick us apart. I believe the TE will kill us all day. We never cover them and Petrino loves to use them. We should blitz from a different angle on every down Saturday.

7. Rsn2GoBlu
    6:13 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

Petrino absolutely knows who his QB will be and I think the rest of us do as well. It will be the running QB to start the game. If things bog down like I believe they will, then Bolin will come off the bench. Going to be deja vu all over again.

8. BluKudzu
    12:07 am November 25, 2015 Permalink

I really would like to see a victory. I just think UK’s line play is week on both sides of the ball. We have been owned there all season. Everybody talks about Schlarman, butt we also should be talking about the D line coach as well.

9. Howdy Doody
    8:51 am November 25, 2015 Permalink

I wish I could say different, BUT, at this point I think Hooker U by 8.

• UK Big Board Update