LOOK: Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow welcome Chris Oats back home

Kentucky beat Mississippi State by 22 and No. 22 made his return home from the hospital all in the same weekend.

Following the Wildcats 24-2 victory against the Bulldogs, head coach Mark Stoops posted a picture on Sunday of himself, Oats, associate head coach Vince Marrow, and linebackers coach Jon Sumrall.

Of the things we love to see, this is most definitely one of them.

Oats had been hospitalized since May with a serious medical condition and finally returned home this weekend. The Oats’ family has organized a GoFundMe that has already crossed the $28,000 mark. Fellow linebacker Jamin Davis donned the No. 22 jersey against MSU, continuing the weekly tradition of a different Wildcat player wearing Oats’ jersey number.

#22Strong

[UPDATE: An earlier version of this article stated that Chris Oats returned to Lexington, however, he returned to his home in Ohio.]

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Recruiting reporter for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

16 Comments for LOOK: Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow welcome Chris Oats back home

1. blueballs80
    7:45 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

Yay. This is comforting. I hope you get back to full strength Chris. Prayers up!!

2. KyZoneBlitz
    7:46 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

I keep Oats and his family in my prayers almost Everynight, and I’m hoping he’s able to make a full recovery. From his appearance in the photo, and I’m not a medical expert of any kind whatsoever, but it looks like he had a stroke. Regardless if that’s the case or not, OR if he’s able to return and play football again or not, I hope that the University of Kentucky will still Honor his scholarship and allow him to return to school and finish his degree when/if he’s able. We miss you on the field 22, but Life is much more important than a game, and I pray that your able to return to full health and live a long life… Amen..

3. UKCatAttack
    8:14 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

This is a great picture! I pray he continues to recover from his illness.

On a side note… I don’t think he returned to Lexington, I believe he got to come home… which I think is in Ohio.

4. JTT15
    8:18 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

Chris, BBN will keep praying for you and your family! We never see inside the football family that they don’t hold you up! That’s what families do! Prayers up for #22!

5. friendsofcoal
    8:35 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

Has anybody ever said what happened to him? I searched a week or two ago and couldn’t find anything. I agree, it appears that he’s had a stroke. Prayers for Chris!!

6. mhs1964
    9:26 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never heard what happened but like someone else opined it appears he suffered a brain injury. Whether it was an injury from a cardiac or respiratory arrest, a stroke or a bleed from an aneurysm or malformation are at the top of the very uninformed list. Prayers for a long healthy life but it appears very unlikely he will play football again. Very sad.

7. clarks
    10:15 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

No matter what happens he chose the big blue nation and he will always and forever be a part of this family. We support you through thick and thin the ups and downs, and when one of our family hurts we all hurt. We will be praying for a full recovery but even with or without football you will always have special place in this wildcat fans heart. GO BIG BLUE

8. VinDatuk
    11:44 pm October 11, 2020 Permalink

Every time I (we) question this coaching staff for their in-game decisions, we get reminded by posts like these that it’s bigger than football and we have great people representing our University!

• gasman01
      9:07 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

We need more posts like yours!! I too disagree with their in game decisions, but this group of coaches truly GET IT.

9. ClutchCargo
    1:51 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Great to see that he has gotten back home. That has to be a positive for the whole family.

10. Kevier
    8:19 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Can we Start a New Tradition instead of holding up 4 fingers for the fourth Quarter lets all hold up the Double Duces to Honor Chris and Jared

• CombatMedic_98
      8:54 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Best recommendation on here in a long time…!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:59 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Yes! All who are on Twitter should tweet this to the UK football account and the coaches.

11. dhard
    9:54 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Get better young man. BBN is behind you

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:00 am October 12, 2020 Permalink

Prayers up for you Chris! I’m glad you’re home.