LIVE: Stoops’ comments after the South Carolina loss

Mark Stoops is about to address reporters following Kentucky’s 24-7 loss to South Carolina. Watch below courtesy of KSR’s YouTube live stream:

24 Comments for LIVE: Stoops’ comments after the South Carolina loss

1. CopenhagenCat
    11:20 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Here comes the excuses

• Slam242424
      11:23 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

No excuses. Only cliche statements.

2. makeitstop
    11:26 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

If he defends Eddie Gran I’m done – This was the most embarrassing performance that I can remember a Kentucky team having and if he does not own up to that he is the problem

• mashburnfan1
      4:12 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Really sounds stupid to sit and say how banged up Smith is yet have him make 73 passes the last 2 games. If he is that hurt,why the hell is he throwing so much when it is obvious {well to everyone but Gran} the kid can’t throw the ball right now. Don’t give me the run game was not working, the pass game was not either but Gran kept calling it. If he is hurt you RUN the damn ball, fire up your guys and make them keep stopping us. USC did not have to stop our passing game, we did that on our own. I don’t care if you put Bowden at Wildcat and let him hand off, run reverses or run all game you have to do something beside letting a guy who can’t throw put it up that much. And to say they stopped our run game, we did not try to get it going, Gran and his up the middle run all the time, mix it up, run a reverse, pitch outs etc. But doing the same BS that is not working has to frustrate the players even more than it does the fans. You have the most conservative OC in the game and he waits till we have an injured backup QB to start throwing more then you all blame the fans for wanting passes. Sorry Stoops but you are losing a lot of support and I can’t blame the fans on this one.

3. SwaggyP
    11:28 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Something has to change. Maybe start Bowden at QB, idk anymore. Sawyer isn’t healthy. Gran has to either get it together or go.

4. Hatchet
    11:33 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Bla bla bla. Same old excuses.

5. JPhelps
    11:40 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Eddie Gran… We are lucky to keep him. I’m convinced KSR made up that UGA story to get fans off his back

• mashburnfan1
      4:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

The story is he was not offered the OC job at UGA but was possibly offered the job the new OC had before being promoted. They named their OC the day after Gran bragged about his offer, although he never said what job he was offered. That tells you they had their guy and possibly offered Gran his old spot.

6. maximumscott
    11:40 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Cant hear anything

7. ArmchairQB
    11:42 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

3 questions….. 1) Why not put Bowden at QB? 2) Why did Smoke only get 2 carries when he averages more yards per carry and should be RB1 3)why did I have to scroll down for 5 minutes to get to where I could comment?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:08 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Because you don’t know how to use an ad blocker.

8. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    11:44 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Stoops should be embarrassed for leaving a very injured QB in the game. And kept playing him when the game was well out of hand.

9. CopenhagenCat
    11:44 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

When i said here comes the excuses I meant by Stoops. I love my Cats as you other guys do. But I have been saying this for years it’s coaching. If I was a QB no way would I come to Kentucky. The play calling is awful. As U.K. fans we seen the same crap with Joker. No effort tonight or last week by coaches or the players . U.K. should be 4-0 with the talent on the field they have . The Coaches always believe in one or two players and won’t give other players a chance to make big plays. And quit making excuses for Smith if he was hurt so bad he won’t be playing. Nothing but poor coaching and lack of effort by the team.

• classof68
      11:50 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

That’s a pretty good summary CC. Maybe now the team will understand why they didn’t get any respect in the preseason. They just aren’t that good. Even with a healthy Wilson.

10. Elvis Is Alive
    11:45 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

COME SEE ABOUT IT…. LOL. Maybe we should try the Billy G Pop Tart diet and get 10% tougher

11. Slam242424
    11:46 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Lack of effort is totally disrespectful toward every player that built the team of last years.

12. Larkin123
    11:56 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

I have been watching football for 40 years and I have never seen outside of NFL Bill, from high school to the NFL, a Run the ball/defensive coach Have a comfortable flowing offense. It’s not Gran. Let me put it this way. A defensive guy almost always will look good when he has a great running game. But when he starts having to pass, the receivers will always look out of sync. Start paying attention to this. It’s sort of like if Tubby did full court presses like Pitino. They would suck. Unless you’re getting the top level recruits lol, those defensive coaches spend most of their days trying to prove to the Fanbase they are wrong… Now I do think fans are to pass happy lol

13. BluKudzu
    12:02 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I told everybody to bet the farm on SC and give points.

I saw this coming. I told everybody to bet on MSU and give points.

This coaching staff is the readon why.

Arkansas will beat this team as bad or worse than SC or MSU.

Get ready for 3 – 9.

14. Madville M
    12:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Why isn’t anyone mentioning the failure of a defense that we have, being young isn’t an excuse anymore, not at this point in the season. The highlight of this team is Calvin Taylor, TJ Carter, and Max Duffy, we could add Wagner but we can’t the ball anywhere close to him, he’s the one making the plays look good. I’m done with this team this year unless the DC and OC are replaced

• mashburnfan1
      4:20 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

The D made mistales but is also the only reason we were in the game for 3 quarters. Plus when you go 3 and out that many times it wears down the D so you can’t blame them. Smith turning it over on the first series of each game he started, plus I know he turned it over on the first series of the 2nd half vs UF and USC {can’t remember the MSU game}. You can’t start games and halves that way and win in the SEC. We knew coming in this season we had to protect the ball as the margin for error was low, that is one thing TW did pretty well. Smith had given up more points the last 2 weeks than he has got the team. He also gave up the first 10 points to UF. THAT CAN’T HAPPEN.

• Dark Soul
      11:49 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Ir right mashburn. This was a hard game to watch but the people that thought we where going to win 10 games again after losing what we did are insane. I’ll roll with Stoops to the end. Wait until he leaves for another job and we get stuck with the next Bill Curry.

15. sportsbird66
    12:20 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Blah blah blah blah

16. season-3-disc-2
    12:32 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s Basketball time in the bluegrass.

• krautdog
      1:18 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s ALWAYS basketball time in the Bluegrass with Coach Cal!!!