LIVE: Mark Stoops’ Pre-Florida Press Conference

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for LIVE: Mark Stoops’ Pre-Florida Press Conference

1. John
    11:51 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

Let me apologize for our poor performance against Florida before we ever play on Saturday. Let me apologize for being such a goober

2. UKPROF
    12:07 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

“EXCUSES ONLY SATISFY THE PERSON THAT MAKES THEM.”

3. BluKudzu
    12:08 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

“I saw some good things” none of them involved coaching.

4. BluKudzu
    12:13 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Can’t convert 3rd downs offensively or defensively, against CUSA football, then please tell me how your coaching will impact the change against SEC and Louisville?
    Dude is soooo out of his league.

5. joe smith
    12:16 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

The worst single half of college football ever played by a UK team. UK has a lot of highly paid coaches and this is the best they can do? They should be ashamed to take their paychecks.

6. Howdy Doody
    12:21 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

“Wuda, Cuda, Shuda and Ain’t gunna.
    SAME Song and Dance every freaking week.
    #30 in a row…..BUT KSR will still be blowing smoke.
    Just quit and leave.

7. BluKudzu
    12:25 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

He is now a detriment to the program. The longer he stays, the further removed we will be from a competitive program in the SEC. He is worse than Joker.

• KYcats11
      2:34 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

How is he worse than joker? They’re complete opposites. Joker took over a pretty good team and led them to 2 wins. Stoops took over the terrible situation joker put us in and turned it into 5 wins.

• BluKudzu
      4:39 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

@kycats understand your viewpoint, here is mine, the record speaks for itself, stoops has lost more games, look at the percentages and look at the stats. With limited access and support, with a roster nowhere close to what stoops has, he ended some streaks.
      Further, Joker was in the game against CUSA teams, those at the top of their league, (WKU) and Stoops was/is unable to compete.
      Bottom line, however you wish to view the situation at hand, UK is no closer to competitive football in the SEC now than at any point during Joker’s tenure. It is a fact. The records show it.

8. twdisciple
    12:27 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

He’s basically blaming the players; saying that they weren’t executing the plays called in the second half. It’s pretty hard for me to believe that everyone collectively gave up after halftime.

• abgunz
      12:50 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

No, he’s not. He plainly said that it’s not scapegoating and that it starts with him.

• twdisciple
      1:11 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Yea I heard that, but then he said they had good plays call but they just weren’t executing. Sounds like scapegoating to me. I’m not on the “fire Stoops” train yet, still observing. But I went from being completely on board with him to now doubting. If they can’t make some basic in-game or halftime adjustments then maybe they’re not cut out to be coaching. I hope that’s not the case. Let’s see how the season goes and particularly the second halfs of games.

9. DelrayCat
    1:00 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

The reality is that you are only as good as your weakest link. Clearly the Cats have some firepower and some solid players on both sides of the ball. However, I think the lack of quality defensive front linesmen is the key and the reason for failure over the last several years. For whatever reason Kentucky has always struggled versus the run and always seems to lack defensive lineman with the ability to make plays. Typically we are undersized, but this year I think we clearly just have inferior talent that was misevaluated coming out of high school and not enough depth to fill in since some of these guys are obviously not SEC caliber talent. Obviously, it’s on the staff to coach them up and make them better, and that isn’t happening. But I also think a guy like Elam would never play at a school with more depth.

• Willis talkin bout....
      1:24 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

We have struggled with the run by either the QB or rb every time we have ever tried to run a 3/4. It’s painfully clear and obvious we don’t have enough talent to run a 3 man line. Our strength is in the secondary. Run a traditional line. Let the db’s do thier job. Then maybe a full line and lb’s can do theirs. Someone influenced the game at halftime sat. And I doubt it was the players. They scored going into the half. Coaches got scared and went to a prevent mode. Like they ALWAYS do!!! He is soo scared to fail. That he is. If he can let loose of the reins and let them play Wild and aggressive. Then f’ing resign!!!

10. jayiron11
    1:56 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Clearly you commented don’t understand football. Barking out terms like 3-4. So if we don’t have depth at defensive line, how will changing to a 4-3 or 5-2 defensive line help us? If we don’t have 3 decent defensive lineman for a 3-4, then we most certainly do not have 4 defensive lineman for a 4-3. I can’t. I can NOT read these KSR comments anymore. A portion of the BBN fan base have no concept of strategy or basic fundamentals of football. Not that I’m a football savant but these comments are embarrassing. Certainly the coaching staff has some faults but they aren’t the ones in the trenches when the ball is snapped. We have a terrible offensive and defensive line. I love Matt Elam because he is a Kentucky product but he should really just learn to be quiet in the future because Shannon Dawson most certainly got the best of Elam running the ball up the middle on Saturday.

• Willis talkin bout....
      4:50 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I understand football just fine. And I’ve watched everygame the past two years. I can see with my own eyes that our d line gets no penetration. I can see that our linebackers have to shed blocks past the line to even get an attempt at a tackle. And I’ve seen us get destroyed by running backs at every level school. So why not try a traditional defense. And if they still suck. At least you can say you tried to do something. Or just keep getting the ball jammed down your throat every game trying to make a gimmick scheme work. That makes complete football and common sense.

• STEVE!
      5:40 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

If you saw any sign of strategy or basic fundamentals the second half Saturday, please clue us Neanderthals in. Thanks in advance.

• runningunnin.454
      7:03 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

We now have a clear solution; buy out Stoops immediately and hire Jayiron11.
      Watch out, Saban, here we come!

11. BluKudzu
    5:08 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Jayiron
    Really? So you are saying we do not have the talent to run a 4 man front, because we don’t have the talent to run a three man front.
    Here is a basic strategy: if what you have been running and coaching for 4 years is not working, and has provided horrible stats, maybe it is time to change up what you are doing to maximize the talent you do have?
    What do you suggest? Go to a two man front, or one man front because of the lack of depth?
    I think the point, most are trying to make, is this system has been in place four years and it keeps getting worse every year. Going with a 3 man front with zero success, year after year, is much better than trying another system?
    What will they have to lose, giving up 60 to a CUSA team and not 40? So what? The personnel do not match up to what is being run now, and it has not functioned effectively since Eliot got here. This system, or Eliot has got to change or go. As it, the three man front, has been played the last few years, and this year, against Southern Miss, there is no hope.

12. Doctor21
    6:00 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Fire the individual who hired him.