Listen to Stoops talk QB race, consistency, and new leaders on KSR

josh forrest hit stick ukfootball

Josh Forrest vs. South Carolina

What are the issues Mark Stoops wants to resolve in fall camp? During his interview on KSR this morning, UK’s head coach mentioned two: the quarterback race and consistency. About that quarterback race…

“I’m very pleased with Patrick, I really am. I think he’s improved on areas he needs to improve on,” Stoops said. “I think it’s more of a compliment to Drew [Barker] and the work that he’s done and the talent that he has that it’s still a competition because I’m very pleased with Patrick.”

So it would be safe to say Patrick is the leader in the quarterback race right now? According to Stoops, yes.

“As I said, Patrick’s got the leg up, he’s got the experience, and I think he’s worked on every area he’s been weak in. I think Patrick is going to have a very good camp, but we need to come out of here completely confident and settled on the quarterback position.”

Stoops said the second thing he wants out of fall camp is consistency across the board.

“We cannot have those days where we just do not perform, because that carries over to Saturdays as well,” Stoops said. “We have to be consistent.”

Stoops said that the team’s improved maturity and depth will help with consistency, praising the inside linebacker and safety positions in particular. “I think you’re going to see a drastic improvement at inside linebacker with Josh Forrest and Ryan Flannigan. Those guys, I’m really excited about, and a year ago, I wasn’t,” Stoops said. “We’re much better at safety than we’ve been here, we’re much deeper. Now that’s a position I feel good about. I feel good about three-deep at each spot at safety, that’s never been the case here.”

Obviously, replacing Bud Dupree and Za’Darius Smith won’t be easy, but Stoops feels confident in several guys that have stepped up this summer, singling out Forrest, Flannigan, Farrington Huguenin, and Melvin Lewis as leaders in the locker room.

“I’m very impressed with Farrington and the way he’s taken on that leadership role. He’s just a solid kid that’s a hard worker, he’s played some very good football for us,” Stoops said of the senior from South Carolina. “He’s a guy that’s all in. He’s a guy that helps mentor younger players, he works hard, so I’m excited for him being a senior and saying ‘hey, take over a little bit.'”

“Josh is a guy that finally really started doing things right in his life, and it’s been noticeable off the field,” Stoops said of Forrest, a senior from Paducah. “Josh is one of those guys that the light came on and he started buying into everything we’re doing. He started eating better, sleeping better, he’s put on all this weight. And then you can be a leader. And then when you’re in the middle of that defense calling plays in the huddle, the guys respond to him.”

Listen to Stoops’ entire interview below. It starts about halfway through the second hour:

13 Comments for Listen to Stoops talk QB race, consistency, and new leaders on KSR

1. android guy
    1:18 pm August 6, 2015 Permalink

So basically he knows Towles can produce, but he wants to actually see him do it. That’s reasonable and, honestly, true for every QB anyway even if their coaches don’t explicitly say so…

2. Jason
    2:08 pm August 6, 2015 Permalink

If Towles is out QB this season is already lost. This guy wouldn’t start for a div 2 team. Barker is the real deal and don’t be surprised if Barker is not named the starter this could be the last we see if him in UK uniform.

• A D2 team? Huh? Whaaa?

• CardFan502
      2:42 pm August 6, 2015 Permalink

Yo, J, you think you could front me an eighth of whatever you are smoking???

• J-Dub421
      3:37 pm August 6, 2015 Permalink

“I am very impressed with his ability, poise and toughness. I think he is really a quality person and a guy you can certainly build a great system around and a guy that will only get better over time.”- Mark Richt, Georgia Head Coach talking about Patrick Towles.

• Tampa satchel
      5:58 am August 7, 2015 Permalink

This quote is from an SEC head football coach: “I really like Patrick Towles. He’s big and he’s more athletic than you think. He doesn’t get a lot of publicity because he’s at Kentucky, but I think he’s one of the better quarterbacks in the league.”

I’ll take the expert over the internet guy.

3. HeshimuMeansWarrior
    11:11 pm August 6, 2015 Permalink

What’s the deal with the 11:00pm repost of something from earlier in the day? I have a feeling I’ll read the same recap of tomorrow’s media day about 3 times before the weekend is over. But seriously, did I miss something?

4. Students of the Horse Race (Quarterback)
    12:21 am August 7, 2015 Permalink

Patrick Towles was a great leader in the early UK football games last year. When the CATS forced Florida into 3 Overtimes last year in the Swamp, that was awesome.

After the loss at LSU, he seemed to have lost focus. Somebody should have told him to ignore the ugly negative influence he was about to see at the LSU stadium…. The good news is LSU is not even on the schedule this year. GO CATS!

5. Carter Hall
    2:29 am August 7, 2015 Permalink

The football coverage on KSR has been much better. Congratulations on the hard work.

6. Tduff
    9:02 am August 7, 2015 Permalink

With Barker’s off season woes (I had a few of my own at his age), I think he put Towels in the driver seat from the get-go. Towels will show the maturity and improvement this season (hopefully) – if not, Barker will have his time to shine.

7. Lou Holtz
    9:13 am August 7, 2015 Permalink

What does the race of the QB have to do with anything?