Listen to Dale Give Mark Stoops a Piece of his Mind

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

On Monday’s Mark Stoops Show, the head football coach took an earful from one infamous caller, Dale from Frankfort.  He’s since got into it with Oscar Combs and Dave Baker, but this morning we’re going to focus on how he let Mark Stoops have it.  Stoops let him speak his mind, and the results were….something.

The fine fellows from CoachingSearch.com transcribed the entire altercation and it was…awkward.

Dale: “We’ve put up with losing seasons for not just since you’ve been here, but the prior three years after (Rich) Brooks left. As a fanbase, we’re tired.”

Stoops: “I hear you.”

Dale: “Coach, get better recruits. You started things off by saying we’re bigger, faster, stronger. How much bigger, faster, stronger do you need to be?”

Stoops: “A lot. A lot.”

Dale: “What about player development?”

Stoops (to radio host): “No, let him go, I can take it.”

Dale: “I’m speaking for probably half of the Big Blue Nation that’s not brave enough to say it. I’m 59 years old. We’ve had football in this state, but we’re not a heavyweight. We hired you so we would be a heavyweight. You need to get the defensive coordinator on page with you, the offensive coordinator on page with you –“

Stoops (to radio host): “Let him go.”

Dale: “And you need to get more involved in the ballgame.”

Stoops: “I hear you, Dale. I agree with you.”

Dale: “People across Big Blue Nation are saying, ‘Hell yeah! Tell him, Dale!’”

Stoops: “I know it. That’s why I let you go, Dale. They were trying to dim you out, and I let them go.”

Dale: “If we lose these next two games, oh my God, ticket sales ain’t going to be good next year, new stadium or not.”

Stoops: “I appreciate it. I’m good with him. I’m a big boy. That’s why I’m here. To take that criticism. You asked a lot of poignant questions. How long’s it going to take? I don’t know. Are we bigger? We’re bigger, faster, and we are. How much more do we need to be? A lot. To be the contender you want to be and I want to be and compete for championships, it takes big, strong, mature guys. In this sport, it takes guys to develop year after year after year, top-20 recruits classes five years in a row, and then you’re going to be an SEC heavyweight. Can we contend, play better and win some of those games? Absolutely. Should we? Yes. We’ve been close. This is the first time I feel like we were a better team and went in there and lost (to Vandy). That puts the frustration at the highest point, and that goes with the territory, because I feel the same way.”

Listen to the entire altercation below.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

37 Comments for Listen to Dale Give Mark Stoops a Piece of his Mind

1. RealCatsFan
    10:05 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

I head this on the radio when it went down, and the next night the same guy was exchanging barbs with Baker on the UK Pregame show. Kind of entertaining, but in the end, it makes me feel the same way that I do when they show someone from Kentucky with four teeth describing the sound the tornado made as it went across the trailer park – amused and slightly embarrassed.

• CommonwealthAl
      4:59 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

UK Football is something that needs to be completely re-thought. We can’t play SEC football…I think that’s proven beyond doubt…, meaning we can’t play “Florida football” and expect to beat Florida. There’s an entire new way of thinking needed. We need to play football differently.

Or, like this caller from Frankfort, just stop, give up and move on to basketball…

We can win, but we can’t win playing everyone else’s game in the best college league in America. Gotta go K State or Oregon or something very, very new…

Or just keep sucking…

2. bluecat15
    10:08 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Spot on, you go Dale!!!!

3. Realme
    10:13 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Speak for yourself Dale. Don’t ever claim that your ignorant a-hole behavior is being cheered on by BBN.

4. Rob
    10:19 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Well, he really didn’t say anything that wasn’t true, especially about the D and O coordinators being on the same page with him.

5. taylorsvillecat
    10:32 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

What did he say to Dave Baker? I tuned in right after the call, and Buzz was affected for a good ten minutes after.

• theSkinny81
      10:44 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

A bunch of incoherent ranting about using his name on the radio and other rambling in which he was called out on every time. He resorted to ending his call by telling Dave Baker and the great Oscar Combs that “they suck”, if that tells you anything.

And he thinks he speaks for half of the BBN…. Ha!

• Mathlete
      11:19 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he meant the half-brained of the BBN?

6. Al B. Frank
    10:50 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Gotta admire Stoops for letting the guy speak his mind and trying to address his concerns instead of just letting the hosts cut him off. At least he’s trying to be accountable.

7. Ken Grizzle
    10:50 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Keep your head up Coach Stoops and don’t let the bandwagon bastards wear you down.

• cats paw
      11:15 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Yes Stoops…keep these homer fans slobbering with the carrot dream of improvement so you can keep that 3.6 mill salary rolling in while coaching the laughing stock of America

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, we should have hired Bobby “Hog-Daddy” P instead, so we could possibly win a few more games while we completely cast aside any semblance of class and self-respect. Stoops certainly has some issues to address in regards to on-field decision making and his assistant coaches, but I don’t feel like we have to worry about him appearing on the news with road rash and a neck brace or standing in front of a judge telling God and everyone that he jizzed down his leg. Sorry, but you are in the minority on wanting Petrino as our coach.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:29 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

cats paw wants a good coach, but doesn’t want to pay them anything. lol

8. CrazyCayts
    11:07 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

I love Coach Stoops, and the fact that he kept telling Dick Gabriel from cutting Dave off is a perfect example of that is what I want in my head coach. However, The same cannot be said for the majority of his staff. The only coaches I see fit to stay with this program after the season would be Chad Scott and Vince Morrow; the rest might want to go ahead and upload their resume on CareerBuilder.com. As far as Dave goes, I think most agree with about 90% of what he said, barring his slightly rude tone of voice. As for Dave’s call to Buzz Baker, I don’t mind that a bit. Buzz instigated that whole ordeal and if any of you personally know of have met Buzz, you would know that he certainly isn’t the most humble of all media members… In fact. he may be the exact opposite of that. All in all I applaud Dave for having the cahoonas to call in and voice his (and many others) unfiltered, honest opinion.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Um, who’s Dave?

• Mathlete
      11:17 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

I think he means Dale?

• Blue_Cat75
      11:36 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Dave’s not here, man.

• CrazyCayts
      12:21 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Yes! Dale! I’m sorry I must have had Dave (Buzz) Baker on my mind while typing that, but I did mean Dale, My apologies.

9. ceeph
    11:25 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Well CrazyCayts don’t leave us hanging. How exactly was Buzz the instigator? My only problem with the call is what is it supposed to accomplish? Does he think Stoops doesnt know all of the issues he mentions? Was Stoops supposed to be like Well I never thought of that thank you Captain Obvious?

With the exception of Vandy our record is exactly where most rational fans thought it would be at the beginning of the season. The problem is we have played poorly in the losses. This team is not fun to watch and most fans thought we would still take some losses but be fun to watch and competitive in those losses not blown off the field. If we had lost to UT etc.. and played as well as we did against Florida I don’t think the frustration level of the fanbase would be near as high.

• CrazyCayts
      12:37 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

I agree Ceeph, it wouldn’t seem all too bad if we hadn’t been blown out those games. Most reasonable fans would have known we were going to lose 5-6 games but most also planned we would at least be exciting to watch in those loses (scoring 30+ points per game). To the point had had about our record be exactly where most rational fans thought it would be, this is true. However, virtually every team on the schedule with the exception of Florida turned out worse than expected. If you have a truly good coordinator, it will reflect on the field; we certainly have enough talent at this stage to be putting up 30+ points on just about anyone we played against. The problem seems to me to be that we are (as with Joker) attempting to still play these SEC teams straight up and beat them. With teams like Mizzou, South Carolina, and Vandy; we can do that, but for the better teams, we simply are not that good yet. We must be more schemeful on both sides of the ball (especially offense) in order to beat teams like Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia. Throw in a trick play here and there… spread the defense out, lets run around slinging the ball every which way and play balls out…. we don’t have much to loose in my opinion so, “WHY NOT” Kentucky?

• UoKFB PHAN
      2:03 am November 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m with you Ceeph. Before the season started I was predicting 7 & 5 with a bowl game. I thought we could steal one from either Florida or SC, beat Missouri and then win the last 3. The poor showings against Mississippi State and UT combined with the Vandy loss is what has turned most of the fans.

I think the two biggest issues on the field have been the O-line play and the receivers dropping too many catchable passes. If you look at the depth chart we’ve got a lot of young guys playing on the O-line. If we don’t see a big improvement in their performance next year then we need to be looking at Coach John Schlarman. As for the receivers…. really nice videos this summer guys… but when the pass is on target… then you need to catch it!

I agree with the complaints about the staff not having it together on the sidelines. At this level of play this stuff can’t be happening.

As for Dale in Frankfort… I wonder what his coaching record is???

10. Howdy Doody
    11:33 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

BRAVO DALE !!! You speak for thousands of we BBN non Blue Aid Drinkers, Talk is cheap…WIN and stop talking for a change Coach.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:45 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

I’d say more like hundreds….. You know, the vast minority. 😉

11. secrick
    11:33 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Dale did a pretty good job with Stoops but showed how much of a [email protected]@@ he is when calling in to talk to Baker. Maybe he got Stoops fired up and maybe Stoops needed it.

• theSkinny81
      11:47 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, the guys sounds like a pretty miserable person.

12. dean winchester
    11:38 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

I cant believe ksr devoted a post to the rantings of the mighty dave from Frankfort…..

• dean winchester
      11:53 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

…or the even more impressive Dale from frankfort….dale…dave…yeah that guy….

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am November 19, 2015 Permalink

Dave’s not here! 🙂

• Booby Petrino
      12:10 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

why? KSR will devote a post to anything as long as it gets comments. And this one did!

• dean winchester
      12:51 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Not why in terms of will people comment….why in terms of this is news a pro-uk site highlights? A guy calls in to go at Stoops and its gets an entire post about it…with audio? Its not like he had some amazing observations…it seems like a post to highlight that Stoops is getting criticized. We just lost to Vandy….of course he is getting criticized. Freddie criticized uk football…but he has valid points…that are coherent and based in knowledge. This is less about whether the guy has a point or not…and more here is someone going at Coach. There are plenty of things to criticize about uk football…but I just dont see where the post does anything except remind us we are not having a good season, and that UK has some football fans that are embarrassing to the program.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:18 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

That the link doesn’t work? It is sad…… 🙁

13. kyjohn
    4:00 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

According to most of the responders on here it seems Dale would have been better served and more in tune to their way of thinking if he had told Stoops what a great job he and his staff are doing,and how he can’t wait to see the next game.
    You have to give Stoops credit because he understood the frustration of Dale and let him vent.More than can be said for the name callers on here.

14. The analogist
    6:45 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

The whole point of Kentucky Sports Radio posting this was to get back at Stoops for him saying that they were trying to cut a caller on their radio show

15. MrZac2613
    7:40 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky football has been disappointing this season, but as a fan I love Mark Stoops. I want him to be our coach, and I feel like we will eventually be successful. It’ll take a bit, but I feel like Stoops is a good guy for the job.

16. Craig Sagers Suits
    1:48 am November 20, 2015 Permalink

Coach Stoops earned a few points in the respect column for letting Dale in Frankfort go on about God knows what with his frustrations about the football program. Dale, I like your style, dude.

17. snotslinger
    7:16 am November 20, 2015 Permalink

Great Job Dale from Frankfort…… That’s how I feel every time I watch Kentucky football.
    #Don’t Get It Twisted