Landon Young is Playing his Best Football

Spectrum

Spectrum

On Tuesday the offensive coaches spent most of the time lamenting Saturday’s scrimmage.  One of the exceptions was Landon Young.

“I think Landon right now is playing as consistent as anybody we have,” offensive coordinator Eddie Gran said.

The former five-star U.S. Army All-American is entering his third season at Kentucky.  The highly-touted homegrown talent was forced into action just two games into his freshman season when Cole Mosier was injured at Florida.  Another Mosier injury forced Young to start every game as a sophomore.

Young always had enough talent to succeed, but there’s something different this spring.  An experienced leader, he’s taken his talent to another level by perfecting his technique.

“He’s really developing in his pass protection technique.  He’s physical in the run game,” said offensive line coach John Schlarman.  “He’s always been physical, but now he’s really honing in on his technique and the details of the game and not just getting by with athletic ability and pure talent.  That’s where I’m really proud of where his game is developing.”

Young feels better than ever before and is seeing results.  Saturday’s performance was the highest grade he’s ever received in a scrimmage.

“I feel like I’ve done a lot better with honing my craft a bit more.  I’ve been more consistent in my set and in my run game,” but Young is not satisfied. “It’s a team effort.  You gotta do it together.”

That did not happen on Saturday, but the experienced group responded exactly how Gran wanted to see during Tuesday’s practice.  Kentucky’s line has enough talent and experience to carry the weight for the offense, and that’s exactly what they must do for the Cats to be successful in 2018.

“Big men lead the way,” Gran said.  “When I say it, I mean it.  We’re going to go as far as our offensive linemen.  We’re going to be physical.  We’re going to be nasty and mean, but we gotta be in control.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

7 Comments for Landon Young is Playing his Best Football

1. I LOVE hearing this since 1) he’s a Kentucky boy, and 2) it all starts in the trenches.

How about Drake (Jackson, not the rapper)? How is he progressing?

2. neilbert
    5:29 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Drake got better as the year went on. He is a gamer , love the fight in these 2. We don’t lose the Florida game if he had started, even with the boneheaded moves of leaving receivers open. Once he started, the bad snaps ended.

3. Bull Filmer
    5:58 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

“Big men lead the way,” Gran said. “When I say it, I mean it. We’re going to go as far as our offensive linemen. We’re going to be physical. We’re going to be nasty and mean, but we gotta be in control.”

This should be the first thing the Oline sees in the morning, at lunch, dinner, and bedtime.

• callitlikeiseeit
      8:54 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Same to DLine, the strength of almost all great teams is they have deep and talented lines on both sides of the ball. Playmakers can’t make plays if they don’t have some time.

4. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    7:39 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

I think Knox’s feedback is not what he wants and thats guarantee top 10. Shai is almost lock top 10 so he more than likely gone. I think it’ll be Hami,Shai, Gabriel, and maybe Knox. But I think he comes back and goes top 5. Didn’t think that a few days ago, but his decision reminds me of Terrance Jones

• callitlikeiseeit
      8:52 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Shai is not nearly a lock top 10 pick. He is not strong enough and does not have a true position. Is he a point or a two or a combo. Not really a great shooter or ball handler. I think workouts will show some teams he is not NBA ready. Gabriel? Really? What on earth makes anyone think he is an NBA player at this point? Hami is strictly athletic ability but any smart GM stays far far away in the 1st round unless you just want to pick, wait and hope. Luckily the Knox family is not in financial need so they should look at the past guys that left college when not ready and have bombed {not referring to just UK but all players}. Why would they not want him to come back and show some physical type play that will be needed to succeed plus he need to work on creating his own shot.

• blueballs80
      12:06 am April 5, 2018 Permalink

Umm this is a football thread, how did Basketball get mixed in here?