Lamar Thomas says being at UK is a “breath of fresh air”

On Monday, KSR broke the news that UofL wide receivers coach Lamar Thomas was leaving Louisville to accept the same job at Kentucky, and this morning, Thomas came on KSR to introduce himself to fans and describe his first few (busy!) days on the job. Here are some highlights, along with audio of the interview.

Being at Kentucky is “a breath of fresh air”

Thomas didn’t come out and directly slam his former employer, but he did take a few subtle swings at the Cards, telling Matt and Ryan it was a “breath of fresh air” to be at Kentucky, which is probably true because I can only imagine what Bobby Petrino’s office smells like.

“I’m great. I’m just enjoying everything, this is — what a breath of fresh air. It’s awesome,” Thomas said. “Everybody is upbeat and excited about what’s going on here. That’s what I saw. That’s what I saw from afar and that’s what I want to be a part of.”

“From afar, I saw the good things in this program”

Thomas said he made the decision to leave Louisville for Kentucky based on his history with Mark Stoops and Eddie Gran and also, the good things Stoops has been doing with the Kentucky football program.

“From afar, I saw the good things in the program. everything was building. You had a lot of great things going on here, and I was like, ‘wow, that’s interesting,'” Thomas said. “And then, the fact I’ve known Coach Stoops a long time. He’s always been very, very good to me, and we’ve always talked.”

Thomas said he was moved by Stoops’ genuine interest in him back when he played at Miami and later when Stoops was at Florida State and would recruit at the high school where Thomas coached.

“He would come by and he would actually sit and talk to me, and I thought the world of that, being a high school coach, aspiring to be in his shoes, a college coach, I would ask questions and he took the time to sit down. For me, it was like, wow, here’s Stoops, that last name! They have a football thing going on and he’s actually taking time to be my friend. I thought that was important.”

Of course, Eddie Gran was a graduate assistant at Miami when Thomas played, to which Thomas quipped, “I’m glad I was good to him!”

“I’m kind of used to ruffling feathers”

Thomas shied away from blatant smack talk about Louisville, but he did say his past experience with the Miami/Florida State rivalry proves he embraces the passion that comes with rivalry games.

“I’m kind of used to ruffling feathers,” Thomas said.

He plays golf with Darius Rucker

Which makes him Ryan Lemond’s new best friend.

The chance to coach in the SEC was a big factor

Thomas’ former UofL colleague Terrell Buckley is now the safeties coach at Mississippi State, a leap that Thomas clearly wanted to make as well.

“I’m very excited. This is a great challenge for myself. Being in the SEC, my best friend ‘T-Buck,’ Terrell Buckley, he’s at Mississippi State,” Thomas said. “I already told him I’m probably going to walk across the field and smack him in the face to get our guys ready.”

Gotta love that swagger, especially when it’s backed up with two national championship rings:

Listen to Thomas’ full interview below:

14 Comments for Lamar Thomas says being at UK is a “breath of fresh air”

1. Rixter
    1:03 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Why didn’t Matt ask Thomas about the rumors that John Vanetti actually coached the receivers at U of L, and not Thomas?

2. FBI Informant
    1:36 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

On paper this is big. But we may want to temper expectations until he actually does something here. Not only did Louisville not lose a single recruit due to his departure, but they picked up 3 players today that were still on their board and uncommitted. 3 good ones at that. So, he had Zero impact on ULs class and Zero impact on UKs class as well. I’ve also told you all that I know quite a few people at UL. Thomas’ contract with UL was set to expire in June and he wasn’t having any luck getting them to extend it. He may well be great at UK, but it isn’t hurting UL. The only thing it’s done to this point is give us something to be proud of against them since they routinely beat us on the field.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:52 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Cool story bro. Thanks for talking the time to let us know how bad he is. Again.

• Rixter
      2:24 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Coach Stoops said during his presser that Thomas told him he wanted to stay on at U of L until he made his last recruiting visits, so as not to affect their class, and Stoops agreed to it.
      Contrary to popular belief, it wasn’t about stealing recruits (UK already had 25 committed, no room).. it was about hiring a good young coach for the future.

• FBI Informant
      3:12 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

I never said he was bad. I said that we should wait and see what he produces, both ON and OFF the field, before we get all giddy. Had he been at another school and produced the same recruiting results would we be as excited? I certainly don’t think so. THIS is why we struggle so hard in football. We immediately annoint the NEXT thing as the greatest thing. We should always be willing to question the football moves until football yields results. So I’m waiting on this one. I just don’t think it’s nearly the impact that others think it is. Some just think that sticking it to UL is the only thing that matters when all they care about is WINNING.

• kvltclassic
      3:15 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

I think it is fantastic. I think that he will be the sole reason that we win 2 – 3 games. It’s going to be fantastic when he takes us to a bowl game and Louisville is sitting at home next year.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:42 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

LMAO. What’s this “we” shit?

• UK Big Board Update
      3:48 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Just admit you’re a Louisville fan. That way you don’t look even more retarded trying to “hide” it. Good grief, man.

3. Howdy Doody
    2:03 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Welcome to the SEC Graveyard of Coaches….
    You DO know you will not be retained when our football coach goes 5-7 again next season….RIGHT ?
    Welcome.
    Just don’t unpack or move your family….

4. Rixter
    2:25 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

WOW, the U of L troll crowd is THICK on here today!

• theSkinny81
      8:58 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

When is it not, honestly?

5. KevinM
    3:21 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Who is that journalist in the background? Saw him on a flight with Pitino.

6. Rsn2GoBlu
    6:30 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Would love to know the real details about this move. There is more to this story than “I saw good things from afar”.

• ULoverUK
      7:51 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

FBI Informant above gave you the details above.