Lamar Thomas is Out as Kentucky’s Wide Receivers Coach

Kentucky is looking for a new wide receivers coach.  Mark Stoops has parted ways with Lamar Thomas.

The former Miami Dolphin and Hurricane wide out spent the last two seasons coaching wide receivers in Lexington.  He came to Kentucky after spending two years on Bobby Petrino’s staff at Louisville.

Thomas became a BBN favorite for trolling Louisville fans on Twitter.  Now Stoops needs to fill two assistant coaching positions, one on offense and one on defense, prior to the 2018 season.

For those speculating as to why Thomas was let go:

UPDATE

In a statement, Mark Stoops had this to say after Thomas’ contract was not renewed: “I appreciate the contributions Lamar made to our program during the last two years,” Stoops said.  “We wish him the best in the future.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for Lamar Thomas is Out as Kentucky’s Wide Receivers Coach

1. Brew Dranklin
    5:16 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

So was he let go, or did he decide to go look for a new job himself?

2. Cokely53
    5:17 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

This can’t be solely because of the Louisville game can it?

• Bobbum Man
      6:29 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

If it was…. that’d be fine by me

• Rembrandt
      8:32 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Oh, okay. So what?

3. ClutchCargo
    5:19 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Can’t say this really surprises me or bothers me. I’m over this guy since the Louisville game.

4. kingave66
    5:22 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Now he can go play grab ass with Lamar Jackson…..

5. CstlCAT22
    5:22 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

This football staff turns over more than freshman basketball players. Not sure what to think about that.

• Rembrandt
      8:41 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

There isn’t just one reason. Coaches Brown, Buh, and Brumbaugh left to accept promotions elsewhere. Coaches Ansley and Peveto made lateral moves to ranked programs, so no mystery there. Coaches Eliot, Dawson, Mainord, and Thomas were pretty clearly let go. Coaches move. It’s the nature of the business.

6. InigoMontoya
    5:22 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

I thought that our receivers took a step back this past year

• Rembrandt
      8:55 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Do you think it had anything to do Baker being injured, Badet transferring, and Timmons graduating? Or, with the fact that our starting quarterback played with injuries all year?

7. PillsburyThrowboy
    5:26 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

This is one of the coaches I wanted to keep. We need to part ways with the DC and DB’s coach, not Thomas.

8. FunkyMonkey
    5:31 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

He was all bluster. Went all fan boy on Lamar DURING the Louisville game. I agree with Jordan Jones 100%, glad he is gone.

9. LaRueBlue
    5:41 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Plain and simple WR coaches have to be able to recruit and he hasn’t done that here.

10. BigBogee
    5:50 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

The Wr’s underperformed and he didn’t have many “good” recruits credited to him. In essence, he was all bark and no bite!

11. dballrb
    6:03 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

I always liked L.T…Thought he’d have done a better job as Rec coach…I guess his trying to figure out how he was gonna ‘ maneuver his women around,and giving away bowl rings ‘ got in the way of his J.O.B..

12. BobNWeaver
    6:15 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Best wishes to Lamar Thomas. I hope he lands somewhere good, and I hope our next WR coach is a great fit with BBN and the players!

• notFromhere
      6:24 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Finally a great, classy comment!

The receivers didn’t progress like expected, nor did we keep recruits at that position as expected. When Gran seemed to be the lead and sole recruiter for the AL wideout visiting next weekend, I wondered just a little.

I wish him well but hope we find someone next level to develop that position into a greater strength.

13. snarkster
    8:13 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

“I appreciate the contributions Lamar made to our program during the last two years,” Stoops said. “We wish him the best in the future.” = Coachspeak for: “Don’t let the screen door hit ya.”

14. maximumscott
    9:09 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

He lost the players respect after the UL game.

15. steve simpson
    11:54 pm January 11, 2018 Permalink

Patrick Loney said on B3 podcast a couple days ago he was gone. None of the recruits this year were landed by him. Can’t have a asst that won’t recruit or can’t. Tweets were fun and I hope he lands a good job.