KSR’s 2019 Football Season Predictions

On Saturday, Kentucky will kick off its seventh season under Mark Stoops. How will the Cats follow up a historic ten-win season? It’s time for the KSR crew to weigh in.

After making us all eat crow with his spot-on 9-3 regular season prediction last year, Jack Pilgrim is running it back by picking the Cats to win nine games yet again. The rest of us all picked Kentucky to finish the regular season 8-4, with five brave souls predicting a win over Florida and nobody going with the Cats over South Carolina or Georgia.

A few comments from the panel…

Nick Roush

All good things must come to an end. The law of averages means the streaks against South Carolina and Missouri will be snapped. UK is in the Gamecocks’ head as much as the cow bells are in Kentucky’s. Still, South Carolina is infinitely more talented than State, which is why UK will get its first victory in Starkville since 2008. Missouri is treating every game like its Super Bowl, just like UK will treat the Florida game. My heart says UK will pull off the early upset, but it’s bad luck to pick a UK victory.

P.S. Don’t bet UK to cover in MACtion. It won’t end well.

Adam Luckett

Kentucky gets off to a slow 2-3 start, but after a competitive loss to Georgia the momentum starts to roll. The South Carolina streak ends, but the Mizzou streak continues. The Wildcats get a statement win over the Tigers who will have a lofty national ranking for that October 26 matchup. Behind five consecutive wins to end the season, UK will head to the Belk Bowl on New Year’s Eve to meet Syracuse in a rematch of the 1999 Music City Bowl in Charlotte.

Ryan Lemond

September 28 at South Carolina: Loss – I hate to say it, but the streak may end just because this game means so much more to South Carolina and their coach!

October 26 vs. Missouri: Loss – I want to pick Cats to win, but Mizzou could pick us apart in the secondary. Game scares me to death

November 9 vs. Tennessee: Win – Cats gotta get this one after laying a hard boiled egg in Knoxville last year! A must win for the program!

Tyler Thompson

The three-week stretch of Florida, at Mississippi State, and at South Carolina is huge. The Gators — specifically Feleipe Franks — didn’t impress me much vs. Miami, so I’m going against my better judgment and picking a win over Florida in what could be an unforgettable atmosphere at Kroger Field. Because of that, I’m also picking Kentucky to lose at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs won’t be great, but the Cats will be due for a letdown game. It feels like it’s time for the South Carolina winning streak to snap, and even though I want to go with the Cats vs. Missouri, Kelly Bryant vs. our secondary could get ugly; however, there’s no better way to rebound than a win over Tennessee, an important step for the program after last year’s stinker in Knoxville. Romps over UT Martin and Louisville will put a nice bow on the regular season, followed by another fun bowl trip.

Jack Pilgrim

Mark Stoops has matched or topped his win total from the previous year dating back to his very first season at Kentucky, and that streak isn’t ending in 2019. After a stellar 4-0 start that includes UK’s first victory over Florida in Lexington since 1986 and a road victory in Starkville, Kentucky’s five-game winning streak over South Carolina unfortunately comes to an end in Columbia. The Cats turn things around with a blowout home win over Arkansas before taking home their second loss of the season in Athens. While some of my peers expect a letdown performance (and loss) against Kelly Bryant and the Missouri Tigers at home, I believe that will actually come in a disappointing effort on the road at Vanderbilt for UK’s final defeat of the season.

As the lone individual to predict a Florida victory and 9-3 regular season last year, my optimistic approach remains true this year. Cats continue their historic run of success.

Drew Franklin

I believe most fans will be thrilled to have an eight-win regular season that includes a sweep of the Florida, Tennessee and Louisville games — and that is how I am dreaming it up for the Cats in 2019. It won’t be fun giving one up to South Carolina for the first time since 2013, but all good things must come to an end one day. I predict Kentucky will lose at Mississippi State due to breathing in Starkville air; Mizzou will be very good and grab revenge in Lexington; and Georgia will do what Georgia does in Athens. Eight wins, four losses and we are happy. (But even happier if they do better.) Go Cats.

25 Comments for KSR’s 2019 Football Season Predictions

1. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    9:05 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I want what you guys pass around the office that keeps you buying the hype when it comes to SCar.

• wildcatifla
      9:35 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I agree Carolina gets hyped every year and always underperforms.

Garbage team, garbage quarterback, garbage coach

2. maximumscott
    9:38 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

We will head into UGA 6-0

• JASUN74
      9:56 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

• imabucket
      11:19 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Lol . We can dream right . If that was the case then we’d prob win the rest after them and end 11-1. Then 12-0 Georgia goes to the conference championship game vs Alabama that’s 11-1 and beats them . All the while Toledo goes 11-1 and Wins their tourney , while the rest of Kentucky opponents minus Arkansas wins 8+ games . Then Kentucky goes to Playoffs and beats Clemson and then Ohio state to win the Championship!!!! And the crowd goes wild !!!!!!!!

• RAGE
      2:41 pm August 30, 2019 Permalink

Who are you picking to beat Alabama??? Since they are 11-1 going into the championship

• imabucket
      11:43 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

And then I woke up . But who knows man really . I can for sure see us going 9-3 wth losses to Florida , Georgia , and Miss state(mainly because of our young team in that environment) . I think we should be confident in seven wins for sure and then just win two more out of Florida, GEORGIA, Miss St, South Carolina, and Missouri which I think is very possible . GO CATS!!!!

3. ukkatzfan
    9:51 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

10-2 minimum with Miss State and Ga as the most likely losses. Good to see Jack positive like last year. But Vandy ? Really ? We talking Vandy. Gotta snap out of my Iverson channeling.

4. dave1964
    10:32 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

8-4 is what I predict. I wish this site would protect against all the hackers and viruses this site has.

5. Rhodus212
    10:46 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Overall seems legit. However EVERYONE has picked South Carolina EVERY year for the past forever talking about how much better they have gotten every year. UK has grown more as a program than most everyone in the country in the last 7 years and everyone including our own still discredits that to an extent. Anyhow I like the predictions of the overall record and can’t wait for a great year of UK football! Like the Radio show too! Will have to call in sometime.

6. imabucket
    11:02 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I really don’t get how you all are so harsh on Kentucky in the Missouri game at our HOUSE. I feel we got a better chance to lose at Vandy then we do at home with Missouri . Esspecially with Missouri being our 8th game of year and us having a bye week two weeks prior(and Missouri four weeks prior l) . We should be rocking and rolling by that game.A lot of people are under estimating Vandy this year too. They’ll have one of the best RB in the country. Anyways GO CATS . See yah in 36 hours and 57 minutes !!!!!

7. WeAreUK69
    11:11 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Boils down like this for me:
    Win all our Home games – 8-0
    Break-even on Away games – 2-2

10-2 #BringIt

8. AreJ
    11:21 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I see it at 9-3, @MSU @UGA vs.Mizzo. I think Carolina is getting a lot of unearned love while Vandy is being slept on, If Vandy has a solid QB they finish over SC. Tenn and Miss St are about the same difficulty but I’ll take a revenge game at home. I think the UF game is again more pressure on UF to redeem and not let their season get thrown off by us again plus Kroger will be ROCKING! I think we split Mizzo and UF and are easily our 2nd-3rd most difficult and I feel better about beating Franks than I do Bryant. Our non-conf and Ark are Ws, and boom 9. Vandy is sneaky tough and we could lose there but just like last year we could be 9-3 with only UGA being our only “they just beat us” game. UT caught us at the best time after the UGA loss and off guard and we had a real shot at A&M, it could be similar this year. I like my team!

9. wadmalawcat
    11:21 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I live in South Carolina and it is well known here that Bryant can run, but is a subpar passer. The main reason he lost his job to Trevor Lawrence. To hear that Misery will throw all over us is a laugher. I will add that around here it has become the main focus of a good season for the Cocks is finally beating UK, wow how times have changed and what a pleasure it has made living here in Charleston these past five years. Cats win that game and their fan base will implode.

• imabucket
      11:32 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Man I love hearing that . Thanks for the insight lol

10. MtnCat
    11:30 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Ten win this regular season and look out next season. Cats for real…

11. dcforuk
    11:45 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Traditionally and historically we struggle and stub our toes some late in the season. The grind does that to me and also does that to the UK football team. If we lose to UF, S.C., Ms St and Mizzou, we could be looking at 6 or seven wins. We want 2 victories at least from those 4 games. I am hoping for four victories from those four

• JPhelps
      6:40 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. This is what I’m counting on. Welcome to being a hater now for telling the truth

12. Collie
    12:11 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m just ready for some football! If terry touchdown can make passes to receivers above their knees this year, and we can get some decent play from the defensive backs, there is few games I would go into expecting a loss. Especially if we can avoid the noon game time slots on some big ones! Go Cats!

13. Collie
    12:14 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

And I think SC is playing us a week after getting beat on by Alabama if I remember their schedule.

• Collie
      12:16 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

Oops. Wrong, they play Bama, mizzo, then us.

14. BluKudzu
    2:27 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

Just beat Toledo. Worry about the others later.

15. Jwalls115
    5:40 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

How do all of you pick us to lose to S. Carolina after 5 years of beating them?

16. JPhelps
    6:23 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m predicting 7-5. With losses to UGA, UF, Mizz, USC and indescribably UT again. We talk about how terrible UT is yet they beat us like a rented mule last year, and they were supposed to be worse last year. I will say 8-4 and 9-3 wouldn’t surprise me, but Wilson is going to have to make me believe in him. I’m not just going to just believe. I’ll believe what my eyes tell me. Go Cats!

17. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:43 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

Either 6-6 or 5-7 will be the result. I fear they will miss Benny Snell more than people realize. That and the inexperience of the secondary are my primary concerns. ESPN’s football index has them losing 6 of 8 conference games, and we know how accurate that is.