KSR’s 2017 Football Season Predictions

Football season is upon us, and the KSR crew just turned in their predictions for Kentucky’s season. Across the board, our picks were very optimistic. All eight of us believe Kentucky will go bowling, six of us going as far to predict an 8-4 regular season record. Ryan Lemond and Shannon the Dude were the most pragmatic of the bunch, picking the Cats to go 7-5 with losses to Florida and Louisville, and in Ryan’s case, Tennessee. No one picked Kentucky to beat Mississippi State and Georgia on the road.

Only one member of our panel picked Kentucky to beat Louisville, and it probably won’t surprise you that he owns a sweatshirt that has Lamar Jackson with a Crying Jordan face on it. I waffled on whether or not this will be the year Kentucky snaps Florida’s 30-year winning streak, but ultimately, went with my heart and picked the Cats. At some point that streak has to end, right?

Check out our full picks below. Freddie, always hesitant to put Ws and Ls on the record in the preseason, abstained.

Share your own predictions in the comments.

20 Comments for KSR’s 2017 Football Season Predictions

1. maximumscott
    1:06 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

This team will go 9-3.

2. Booby Petrino
    1:09 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Funny that more of you bought into us beating a team we haven’t beaten in a lifetime than beating an overrated team we beat on their home field last year.

• ZombieLibrarian
      8:19 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

No kidding, I thought the same thing.

3. BigBluebanner8
    1:21 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Im drinking the Kool Aid like every year…. 9-3 with losses to Miss State, Georgia, and the dirty birds.

4. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    1:44 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Hope we win every game, but until every team we play stops running 300+ yards and we find more proven offensive weapons beside Snell and Juice, I’m tempering my expectations. Here’s my prediction:

@USM: W EMU: W MISS: W
    EKU: W MIZZ: W @VANDY: W
    @USC: L @MSU: L @GA: L
    FLA: L TENN: L LOU: L

Record: 6-6. Toss Up Games: @SC, @MSU, TN, @VANDY

5. Rauh Gauh
    1:50 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Who cares about Nick Roush. His articles are terrible.

6. Czimm12
    1:52 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

6-0 to start the season?? HaHa C’mon I hope it happens, and I hope I’m wrong, but……seriously?? C’mon

7. ukkatzfan
    2:08 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

I will go 10-2 with the 2 losses being ones we woulda, coulda, shoulda had (ga and miss st). First loss we deserve will be against bama.

8. wildcat502
    2:53 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

I`m going 8-4, but I cant understand all the love for UL. They have the same offensive line as last year, but they now have 3 true freshmen on the 2 deep. They have only 4 defensive linemen on their roster and playing an extra defensive back and 1 less defensive tackle. Plus they have no running back with a lot of playing time under his belt. Bonnafan is their starter, playing his third position.
    Yes they have Lamar Jackson, but putting pressure on him, stops their main threat. Finally they lost to every team, last year with a winning record, except Florida State. Yes they are a good team, but beating us at home?
    We have all SEC type linebackers, corners, running backs, tightends and safeties. I predict we`ll beat Louisville. Our losses will come from South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi State and one of Florida or Tennessee, but not both.

9. Lewis
    2:55 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

My Annual Kentucky Wildcat Football Prediction

This is the year you would expect that Stoops Troops finally make a big step forward. Not only has Stoops and Crew had solid recruiting years that have raised our talent to SEC caliber level, but we finally have been blessed with a much easier schedule than recent year’s past. We are not facing any of the top West teams, such as Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, or Texas A&M. The two West teams we do face are Ole Miss and Mississippi State, both very winnable games. I just read today an article by John Buhler on Fansided that ranked the SEC teams for this year. His ranking is as follows:

 14. Missouri Tigers
     13. Ole Miss Rebels
     12. Vanderbilt Commodores
     11. Mississippi State Bulldogs
     10. Texas A&M
     9. Tennessee Volunteers
     8. South Carolina Gamecocks
     7. Kentucky Wildcats
     6. Arkansas Razorbacks
     5. Florida Gators
     4. LSU Tigers
     3. Auburn Tigers
     2. Georgia Bulldogs
     1. Alabama Crimson Tide

I believe Kentucky’s two biggest hurdles this year are 1) Avoiding major injuries to key players, and 2) winning the turnover battle. Both of these hurdles are tough to control. I mean, how do we keep someone from getting hurt? We’re playing football for crying out loud. Yes, injuries can be decreased by being in tip top shape and playing smart in practice, but injuries are still going to happen. We have already lost two major contributors this season, in Seniors OL Cole Mosier and WR Dorian Baker. Our depth, while being stronger than it has been in many years, is still not as good as the elite SEC teams. I believe we can overcome Baker’s loss because our receiver corps is rather deep, not that I wish we didn’t still have Dorian. However, if we lost someone like Benny Snell that would be a devastating blow to this team, whereas Alabama would just plug in another 5-star running back.

The other large hurdle I mentioned was winning the turnover battle. Last year, I believe we were something like -7. This number needs to be improved if we are going to maximize our Wins this year. It would be great to reverse the number to a +7, but I would be content moving it up to at least EVEN. By doing this, it would keep us in most of the games on our schedule. The reason, I said it is hard to control winning the turnover battle is that sometimes the shape of that darn football causes it to bounce in crazy directions; sometimes right back to the ball carrier and sometimes in every un imaginable direction. Yes, we can control not putting it on the ground, but anything can happen when it hits the ground. Being a Kentucky football fan for the better part of my 56 years. It seems we have not gotten our fair share of good bounces. Forgive me, I didn’t really start keeping up with UK until I was around 7 years old, but I have only been a UK fan (no other college team) and later a UK grad (1984). Interceptions are a little easier to control, however, there are things we can do to lessen them. One is by having strong receivers going hard for the ball and sometimes even becoming the defender and preventing interceptions of badly thrown or tipped balls. Another way to avoid interceptions is by having good OL play and giving our QB plenty of time to throw. I think our OL, our RB’s, and our receivers have improved dramatically the last few years and I expect us turn the turnover margin around to at least EVEN.

Okay, I’ve been holding out in giving my prediction. I realize that anytime I provide a good prediction of UK football, I am going to be met with violently strong opposition, but that’s okay. I have thick skin, so bring it on. A safe prediction would be 7-5 this year, but I think they are going to do better than that. I’ve been planning on predicting an 8-4 season for several weeks now and at this very moment I can’t decide whether to go 8-4 or 9-3. I’m expecting this year to surprise most of Kentucky fans. I think I will go through the schedule now and decide after predicting each game.

 @ Southern Miss Win
     Eastern Kentucky Win
     @ South Carolina Loss
     Florida Loss
     Eastern Michigan Win
     Missouri Win
     @ Mississippi St. Win
     Tennessee Win
     Ole Miss Win
     @ Vanderbilt Win
     @ Georgia Loss
     Louisville WIN
    9-3 (Not including Bowl Game)

There you have it Wildcat fans and others, I predict UK Football Wildcats to be 9-3 this 2017 Season and I am ready for you nay-sayers. I’m not guaranteeing these specific wins and losses because there are some losses that could be wins and vice-versa. I am saying their record at the end of the season will be 9-3 and I hope to not have to eat crow.

What say you? I don’t want to hear any comments without a Win-Loss prediction from yourself. Put your neck on the line with your prediction or consider yourself too afraid to do so, lol.

Go CATS!!!

• My Dixie Wrecked
      5:51 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Will someone please define what SEC caliber players are? Are these the type of players that get beat by Ohio State or Clemson?

• runningunnin.454
      7:32 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Let me see if I can help. In the last 12 years, the big 10 has won one championship, the ACC has won two….the SEC has won eight.
      Does that help?

10. VolsSuck
    3:11 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

WWWLWWWLWWWL
    I say we lose to Florida, Tennessee, and Louisville, but we surprise Georgia and Mississippi State with some momentum wins. 9-3, 6-2 in SEC. I think Florida and Tennessee have tough SEC schedules and will drop 3, while Georgia just drops 2, but loses tie-breaker with UK. Don’t be surprised to see the Cats in ATL in December.

11. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:13 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Gotta love the optimism. Notably, Ryan is the only one who stayed on the side of history with 2L’s against UF and UT. Seeing as that we’re collectively 1-61 against them over last 30 years, he’s probably right. (Seven of the other eight writers all agree that we’re going to do what we’ve only done once in 30 years.) I’m going 6-6 with the only difference from Ryan’s being a loss at SC.

12. 3 fan
    3:28 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

I predict 5-7 or 4-8. I can’t drink the kool aid yet. Too many years of UK football.

And I had to close 5 ads to post a response. This site is getting wayyy to ad crazy.

13. WildWVCat
    3:39 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

7-5 with losses to Florida, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Georgia and Louisville.

14. Sentient Third Eye
    3:42 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

This is a year when the Cat’s literally have a decent shot in every single game. It’s been a while since that was true. But six of the games are going to be close, and if we win exactly half of those close games, that still makes us 9-3.

15. Mathlete
    3:47 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia are the only probable losses I see on that schedule, and I’m not even sure about those 3:
    – We’ve been within a hair of Florida lately (other than when Barker got crushed last year).
    – We lost to Georgia on two key plays – a pick that Badet bobbled but otherwise would have gone for a TD and a last second FG by Georgia.
    – We still haven’t cracked the code with UT but I’m willing to let that go considering they need *something* to crow about down in Rocky Top.

16. j4stone
    4:45 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

5-7

17. BLUEsky
    8:21 pm August 31, 2017 Permalink

Congrats to Drew for being the lone wolf to pick us to win the L’Ville game. We will beat them again this year as long as we are not too beat up from the SEC play. Hey Drew, Muhlenberg County here! I’m with ya brother!