KSR Show Thread 9/18: Pikeville, here we come!

Who’s ready for some mountain football?

This morning, the KSR crew is LIVE from Pikeville to preview this evening’s highly anticipated matchup between the Pikeville Panthers and the Belfry Pirates.

Announced as Kroger’s KSR Game of the Week, Matt Jones and the gang will tell you everything you need to know about the clash between the two reigning state champions in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/18: Pikeville, here we come!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Switching back and forth between Heat v Celtics and Bengals v Browns last night; happy days are here again,

10:35 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Love watching Tyler and Bam, but Jimmy Butler is a bad, bad man.

10:44 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

My son keeps giving me a nasty side eye when I show any happiness when the Heat are beating the Celtics. The Celtics forget how to play team basketball at crunch time. I want the team with the best chance to beat the Lakers to advance, and I don’t think the Celtics are the ones. The Heat, meanwhile, seem to have ignored the league memo that you’re supposed to live and die by the 3, no matter the game situation.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Cheering for the sec qb last night; but feel bad for him. He’s going to end up in a spica cast before season’s end. Bengals can’t protect him.

10:09 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Being a #1 draft pick QB is often a rough life. That team got the #1 pick for a reason, and a lot of times the O line is pretty terrible.

10:15 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I didn’t see the game, but after reading about that I was saying “Where have you gone Anthony Munoz?” Both times the Bengals made the SB they had awesome O lines, anchored both times by that man even though most if not all the rest of the members were different.

10:36 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Tim Couch can commiserate.

• FloridaCat88
      11:15 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

It happened to Couch for the browns..

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:13 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Okay, who else forgets half the time to do the “Captcha” when logging in and has to start over?
    Also, who else is frustrated and can’t figure out why you have to do 2 grids worth most of the time but only 1 occasionally?

10:18 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I especially hate it when I’m on my phone and end up straining my eyes to decide whether some ambiguous thing is a bus or a train. See below. πŸ™‚

10:19 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I know man, and they purposely obscure at least some of those photos it seems. Maddening.

Sometimes you also can’t tell if something is a bike or motorcycle when they have a fuzzy closeup of a handlebar or something.

• Realme
      10:23 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, here’s a picture of some metal, it’s a corner of something. Now guess.

• Realme
      10:25 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Wrong! It was a train.

10:27 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if it actually gives you a pass for a certain number of wrong answers. There’s been a few times that I was pretty sure I got one wrong, but it was fine.

4. Laker Cat 18

3A #3 Christian Academy – Louisville vs. 4A #2 Boyle County

5A #8 Southwestern vs. 6A #10 George Rogers Clark

6A #1 Trinity vs. 6A #2 Male

6A #6 Fern Creek vs. 6A #7 Ballard

10:48 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Northside v. Howard!

Haha. Northside of Warner Robins is my alma mater in Georgia.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Tyler Herro is a fine basketball player; off night from the field last night; but, that kid can rebound; he has that knack…right place at the right time when the ball comes off. Beautiful passes to hit the open man, too.

11:05 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

He has a ton of upside. Still makes the occasional rookie mistake, but he looks very comfortable out there.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Whenever I get held up by that Captcha thing, I just want to say “I’m a maiiiiiiin!” https://youtu.be/mm7gVvUuZkE

10:18 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

What a song.

10:23 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

BTW, speaking of the blues, and the Robert Johnson convo yesterday: I was late with this reply, but supposedly that whole Robert Johnson claiming he sold his soul to get better at guitar is where Charlie Daniels got the idea for β€œThe Devil Went Down to Georgia”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Three bluesmen from the South that moved to Chicago.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Chris, I think Charlie Daniels said the song came from a poem he read in high school; the Whippoorwill or something like that.

10:42 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Different genre, but another great “manly” song.

I had this one on my playlist on the beach in Florida back in May, and had some free entertainment from the drunk dude dancing to it in the next group of umbrellas. My daughters, however, were not impressed. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Here’ another “manly” song, do you know what he’s talking about?

10:49 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that early CTA/Chicago stuff is some of my favorite music, period. Even after they went another direction with the easy listening pop crap, they were still awesome in concert when they played the good old stuff.

10:56 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

rg, I eat more chicken than a man ever seen…. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I think Willie Dixon wrote Back Door Man; it’s about a man having an affair with a married woman, and uses the back door to escape when the husband comes home.
      Although, a double entendre may have been intentional.

11:06 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

rg, what in Heaven’s name are you talking about? πŸ˜‰

11:09 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I stumbled across that Chicago video just about a week ago. Hearing the song on the radio to me was always just okay at best. Seeing the video though: SO.MUCH.ENERGY! As well as musical talent of course IMO.

If you want to see more energy, here you go:

If you don’t watch it all, just watch songs 1, 6, and 7. I have a personal bit of trivia to tell about this later.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Can’t beat 25 or 6 to 4!

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you know, you know.

11:24 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

cg, I always liked their drummer – dude looks like some middle aged police detective.

Mrs RCF saw them as a warm up band for one of the big grunge acts back in the 90’s – can’t remember who it was, I think Pearl Jam or maybe Alice in Chains. Of course the crowd for the main act was considerably younger than Cheap Trick’s usual crowd, and she said they actually boo’ed them. Which is sad – they are a good band, I think.

11:36 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Okay, so the personal trivia isn’t earth shattering, but my radio station of choice in high school in Georgia used to play “Hello There” every morning when they signed on at 6:00, and played “Good Night Now” every night when they signed off at midnight.

So yes, I’m “Not all radio stations were 24 hours” old.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Have to hand it to the ’20’s and ’30’s black bluesmen; they were genius at getting past censorship (like ksr has). You can bet if they sing about “driving a car”, they’re really not driving a car, ha ha.

11:44 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I saw Cheap Trick open for Heart back in the early 90s. Great show! Someone in the comments on that video said he/she saw them open for Kiss in the 70s before they got big and they blew Kiss out of the water.

Bun E. Carlos apparently isn’t with CT any more. I don’t like cigarette smoking, but it looks kind of humorous that he always has one in his mouth when he’s working so hard on the drums.

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Chris, I’m a teeny bit older than you; the radio stations signed off with this one,

11:57 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Kind of like the modern hip-hop artists, huh rg? πŸ™‚

Even Elvis took heat for calling women “hound dogs” and swaying his pelvis too much. “Elvis the Pelvis”. πŸ™‚

12:14 pm September 18, 2020 Permalink

RCF, blues singer Big Mama Thornton sang Hound Dog before Elvis.

12:16 pm September 18, 2020 Permalink

If any of you guys are still hanging around, stumbled on this on the Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert series. Some great tunes, too bad the sound quality isn’t better.

7. Realme
    10:27 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Well, that was a weird comparison.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:28 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Hey Clutch, I looked up Jet’s Pizza but they don’t list a location in Bham. Also, after a while I did seem to have a faint memory that I did see the Detroit style square pizza featured on TV. I think it was either on Triple D or the old “Unwrapped” show, but I don’t remember if it was Jet’s or another restaurant.

10:38 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm. I must have seen that on an outdated 3rd party website. I got interested in that type of pizza from people discussing it on a BBQ site I frequent. Somebody originally from Detroit had decided to try their hand at making it and went into great detail about it. When I found out that Jet’s does it this way, it kind of became a UK football gameday ritual for my son and me to eat at Jet’s near KSBar and then catch the Lextran shuttle right outside the door. Apparently, to make it truly authentic, you need some Wisconsin brick cheese, which you can’t really get around here and Jet’s doesn’t even use.

10:51 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Their deep dish looks great on their site. It made me hungry!

10:56 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

That crispy caramelized cheese on the edges of the crust… I could just eat a pizza box full of that, no toppings. I’m going to have to make a trip to one of the Louisville locations soon.

10:57 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I see they do have several locations in or around Atlanta. Maybe if we ever go there we can eat at one, but my wife and daughter do keto, so I’m not sure. They have a cauli crust, but some places still add non-keto ingredients to that. My wife said Pieology does (I think she said they add a non-keto binder like corn starch or something).

11:02 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I would say this is not keto-friendly at all. It’s all about the crust, and I don’t think any of those alternative ones would be the same.

11:10 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

If I have the chance, I’ll order the thick pan stuff and let them eat the cauli. Haha.

11:12 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

BTW, one reason that crust looks so good to me is I’m always the corner piece guy when it comes to brownies. I love that caramelization, so their square pan rocks!

11:29 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I don’t really eat sweets anymore, but I’m the same way. Yeah, this would be right in your wheelhouse.

11:53 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I like the crispy corner pizza slices too, especially when the cheese gets crispy, but for a pan of brownies, I’m all about the extra gooey ones in the middle. One time a buddy and I absolutely devoured a pan together after being out on the water all day. No utensils at all, just dug in!

9. Realme
    10:36 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Not at all weird for people to think that Tweet was a dig at the Cards. One of the Rivals guys (and probably 75 other media) made the exact same tweet, and that’s what it looked like.

10:52 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

What did they say? I missed it.

• Realme
      10:57 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

A lot of UK media were tweeting last night about Louisville not selling out their first two games. Matt was surprised that Louisville media clapped back when he said something about how the “couldn’t” sell out their lower capacity games. They took it as a criticism of fans and not a commentary on 2020, because Matt.

11:07 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m just happy there is football in 2020. It’s kind of silly to judge any school’s fan attendance this time around.

11:11 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s silly considering the times.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Have you ever had one of those days where EVERYTHING you try to post gets zapped? No matter what I write.

10:49 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

The capt-cha is nearly as mysterious as the m0d-b0t.

I had to change it around because it actually got moderated! Oh, the irony!

10:49 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

That was literally the exact same thing I was trying to post above when you all were talking about the captcha, and the modbot kept zapping it there!

10:53 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

A lot of times you can summon Mrs. Tyler Thompson if it’s one of her articles and she will give you a get out of moderation free card. Not sure about the others.

11:08 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Wish they would just turn the stupid thing off. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha one day I had, count ’em, 15 comments zapped; I tweeted Mrs T a complaint especially since a vulgar comment from someone got through…don’t remember what any of the comments were about, though.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of EKU back in the day… Thursday nights were always when we UL Speed dorks would make our pilgrimage. One night we all piled into my Camaro and drove out there. It was pouring rain, and since I was driving I had to take it easy on the beer. My buddies did not, and took advantage of that situation like prohibition was getting ready to start back up. So when it was time to leave, we lost one guy (he showed back up on campus a week later), and my other buddy nearly yakked in my back seat. And my defrost didn’t work, so I had to drive all the way back to daVille looking through a tiny little clear spot in my otherwise fogged over windshield. Good times…

12. Realme
    11:18 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

How do they all live in Lexington and not know what Raven Run is?

• Realme
      11:24 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

And yes, it’s run by the Lexington city gov.

11:26 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I’ve just about given up asking how they don’t know something. It’s almost more surprising when they do know something.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:38 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

Matt talking about passing up the Mountain Parkway and driving all the way to Morehead made me laugh. I did something similar when I was in college, but home for the summer. My younger brother and I would always try to catch a Reds doubleheader when possible, and we were headed back home pretty late after a long day. I zoned out
    and missed the exit in Lexington to go toward the BG Parkway (nevermind that going 71 to Louisville was the better way, that’s just how I rolled back then) and ended up in Berea.

11:55 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

We were coming home from a match in Walton-Verona one night and missed the 71/75 split. We were halfway to Lexington before we realized it. Then the GPS routed us on this awful, curvy cow path of a road complete with cows crossing it.

• runningunnin.454
      12:01 pm September 18, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, usually returning from Nashville, my wife misses the exit, and I say well, pretty soon we’ll be in St. Louis.