Kirk Herbstreit predicts a breakthrough year for Mark Stoops

Speaking at the Parklands’ kick-off luncheon in Louisville earlier today, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said he expects Mark Stoops to have a breakthrough year at Kentucky in 2016.

“I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t,” Herbstreit told Terry Meiners and the luncheon crowd.

A good friend of the UK head coach, Herbstreit said Stoops is well aware of the uphill battle he is in, trying to build a program in the Southeastern Conference. Herbstreit notes that Stoops has found much success on the recruiting trail, and has more talent at the skill positions than ever before, but it’s not easy trying to change the perception of a program that has struggled for decades.

Mark’s trying to make Kentucky cool, and that’s a hard thing to do,” Herbstreit said. “I didn’t say he can’t do it. I said it’s hard to do.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Kirk Herbstreit predicts a breakthrough year for Mark Stoops

1. kentuckyrld
    5:02 pm May 16, 2016 Permalink

Let us hope Mr. Herbstreit is absolutely correct in his prediction. I fear he is not but I have been wrong many times before.

2. Blueblueblueblue
    5:21 pm May 16, 2016 Permalink

Look for UK to win 5 games this year. They’ll fire OL/DL/DC because those are the only guys left Stoops can blame. Next year they’ll win 5ish games again. Stoops will then be fired. Guys have gotten it done at Vandy, SC, Miss St, and Missouri. What makes UK different? Basketball. Just look at this site. Basketball gets drastically more coverage and comments. Coaches and players know football always comes second at UK. The SEC isn’t the problem in terms of winning 6 games – the basketball culture is.

• cats paw
      6:03 pm May 16, 2016 Permalink

its more of a homer fanbase that is accustomed to losing and making excuses of why we cant win here! what does one expect when hiring a first time head coach at 3.5 mill/yr?? a coach hired for his defensive mind that has the program ranked dead last in the SEC. Ole cats paw told everyone they should have hired Petrino!! 20 million bucks later….i hope you’re happy with Stoops

• WeareBBN
      7:46 pm May 16, 2016 Permalink

cp-we are happy with Stoops. He and staff have the best talent at this program than they ever had. He is building it with depth which should make for a long term run. Our top talent is Juniors and below, all of which he built. If we were in the Big East, AAC {or whatever jr league that is called} or ACC it would be much easier to build quickly. And if he never won a game I would rather have a person with solid morals and integrity leading our program than a slime ball, sleeze bag, scum of the earth guy like loserville has.

3. ukkatzfan
    9:22 pm May 16, 2016 Permalink

UK IS the place to be for college football. I just wished there was a way for UK to play football for 40 games like the basketball team does. Love the UK football. I am hoping the negative ninnies can show the love and bite their tongue when it comes to the criticizing. Coach Stoops is the man. Looking forward to the fall with a real OC. This is going to be fun. Go Big Blue Football !!! #ALLIN

4. Rsn2GoBlu
    1:43 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Herbstreit said “UK is due for a break out year”. I find that hardly an endorsement. But I guess we will take anything that gives us hope.

5. Howdy Doody
    1:13 pm May 19, 2016 Permalink

How come he has never won the Lottery ?? Does he know where Hoffa is buried ? Geez….
    I see 5 wins MAX this season and ANOTHER UK Football Program Savior in 2017.
    bet the farm on that one, we just lost a 4 star recruit today.
    Candy and Nuts Folks….